• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Closure--Heritage Trails, Slinger, WI

I was out at the Ridge this past weekend. We had to skip quite a few holes; as the course is VERY wet at the moment. Forest Junction will be even worse. I am willing to lead a day of play at both of these courses; but, as said earlier, should be later in the year. Cato Falls is only 15 minutes from the Ridge as well. Cato was pretty dry.

Keep me up to date on the Zoebel thing and let me know if anyone wants me to make the connection for Burr Oak.

I was out at the Ridge this past weekend. We had to skip quite a few holes; as the course is VERY wet at the moment. Forest Junction will be even worse. I am willing to lead a day of play at both of these courses; but, as said earlier, should be later in the year. Cato Falls is only 15 minutes from the Ridge as well. Cato was pretty dry.

Keep me up to date on the Zoebel thing and let me know if anyone wants me to make the connection for Burr Oak.

I definitely want to hit Burr Oak the same day as Zobel, since I otherwise have no reason to head that way in the foreseeable future. We should feel out some dates (I prefer Sundays) and start a thread in the DGCR Meet-Ups area. I have no problem playing Cato if anyone else NEEDS to hit that course up on our mini-roadtrip.

Is Forest Junction getting better maintenance? That's the one thing that's kept me from playing it...I frequently hit up new courses solo, or with the wife and kids, so I didn't want to venture out to what essentially was described to me as the Amazon of Wisconsin.

Junction is all right if you have someone that knows the course and are aware that there are some 400 ft. double esses through the tightest fairways you've ever seen. The Illinois guys discuss Summit Park now and again. I liked Summit. Junction is Summit on steroids for REAL MEN. If you don't like your frolf real serious; you won't like Junction. (There are only really three deuce opportunities on the entire course/from long tees....and the possibility for a 5 on nearly every hole.) I have never heard of an under score in 3+ years of play. (+5, for the front nine is the best I've ever done, and I believe +3 is the best score I've heard...)

If you go by yourself; chances are good you will be disappointed. Navigation is rather difficult, and combined with hitting lots of trees; a bright, sunny day can turn disappointing (for the faint of heart) in a hurry. :p

I've learned to take my ass-kickings with a smile. Had I not embraced such a philosophy, I would've given up on this damn game years ago. Of course, if you ask Steve how I handled my round on Blueberry you might get a different impression of how seriously I take DG, but that was a confluence of confluences that confluenced in just a terrible round. :)

I'm up for Zobel, Burr Oak, Ridge, and Freitag (Forest J'n)! Cato can suck it!
I can wrangle up some of the GB discers too and make a roadtrip.

I'm playing in the Am Championships at Axledog this weekend. The next two weekends I will be available Saturday Apr 23 or Sunday May 1. May is also pretty open most weekends.

I think they've improved Cato a bit. The first hole, as I remember it, does not exist any more. You don't have to walk the crazy train tressle any more. And, there are now more wooded/tech holes. It's still nothing great, but, I had a better experience this last time, than in the past.

I'll call the Burr Oaks owner in the next few days and see what he has available and post in here. He's living in Madison these days; so, he doesn't get home all that often. But, I'll see what I can find out.

I think they've improved Cato a bit. The first hole, as I remember it, does not exist any more. You don't have to walk the crazy train tressle any more. And, there are now more wooded/tech holes. It's still nothing great, but, I had a better experience this last time, than in the past.

I think you're thinking of Indian Creek where they had the crazy train bridge you had to cross to play the last 3 holes. And yes, last time I was there they finally had a real bridge over the creek, eliminating that long (and scary for kids!) walk. I know both Indian and Cato Falls are adding trees, but probably very young ones that won't really impact the course for years.

I haven't checked in on this thread in a few days. Just thought I'd add that I and my son and a friend played Zobel on Sat and IMO, it lives up to the hype. I won't get into "one of the best in the state", because there are too many of the best in the state I haven't played yet, but it's an excellent course. I think there's only one flat hole (hole 1), and 2 or 3 are what I would call downhill bombs. Some blind tee shots, some very narrow tunnels, some wide open curving fairways, plenty of right finishing holes as well as left, elevated baskets and tees, 2 concrete tees and 2 pin placements per hole, really a great course. There were no signs yet, so we played out of sequence, I'm sure. Being just over an hour from my house, I'm sure I'll get there fairly often. Superberry, is there a specific date for Winterpark to open? That's one of the first ones I want to hit this spring.

Anyone know what they're going to do with the baskets from Slinger?

Also, I'll have a map of Zobel (done on google) up by the end of the day for you guys.

I haven't checked in on this thread in a few days. Just thought I'd add that I and my son and a friend played Zobel on Sat and IMO, it lives up to the hype. I won't get into "one of the best in the state", because there are too many of the best in the state I haven't played yet, but it's an excellent course. I think there's only one flat hole (hole 1), and 2 or 3 are what I would call downhill bombs. Some blind tee shots, some very narrow tunnels, some wide open curving fairways, plenty of right finishing holes as well as left, elevated baskets and tees, 2 concrete tees and 2 pin placements per hole, really a great course. There were no signs yet, so we played out of sequence, I'm sure. Being just over an hour from my house, I'm sure I'll get there fairly often. Superberry, is there a specific date for Winterpark to open? That's one of the first ones I want to hit this spring.

Zobel review and pictures?????

Winter Park is tentatively set to open on Apr 30. We will be working hard on Good Friday and the Saturday before Easter to get it in shape. Email the winterpark address if you want to get on our mailing list.

Zobel review and pictures?????

Winter Park is tentatively set to open on Apr 30. We will be working hard on Good Friday and the Saturday before Easter to get it in shape. Email the winterpark address if you want to get on our mailing list.

Don't go crucifying yourself out there.

Just added the course map for zobel. It's my first time w/ google earth, so if you've got comments/edits/suggestions feel free to let me know.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...d=206267771724173977509.0004a0e1cadc037f44501

pd

I can't make heads or tails outta that. Not rippin' on ya or anything, I just prefer to see hole numbers and less clutter on an aerial map like that...plus, I never use Google Earth, so I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. Cleaned up and properly labeled, this will be very helpful. Good job! :hfive:

I haven't figured out how to have hole numbers posted instead of the regular icons yet. But, if you click on the icon it'll tell you what it is (ie 1-pro = tee one, pro pad) I added the lines to make it easier to see what goes where (tee to pin).

Thanks for the input! I'll keep playing around with it throughout the day.

What I do for the Winter Park aerial maps is go to the county GIS website and get the park framed in with an aerial flight, or satellite image overlaid. Then you can print it as a PDF. I cut the map from the PDF and simply post it in MS Paint and use lines, shapes, and text to make my maps. You could do the same with any mapbrowser program and use the satellite image function, save as a jpg, and edit with other software you may have. Simple and effective.

As far as the crucifaction, according to jesus, I'm not supposed to work for a certain time on Friday, which makes it a perfect time for me to actually do some real work. I think jesus was probably into a lot of drugs and so were his followers. Lots of hallucinations, images, and unnatural stuff from that group. I do believe that killing nature is like killing baby jesus, so I'm gonna go clean up at the course and maybe transplant some trees that are in the way and getting too big. Wait, am I coherent????

Thanks for the idea super, I'll work on that version later. For now I figured out how to add hole numbers to the google map.

Looks like they are opening this back up with a re-design. I live five minutes away and walked the property. The layout still appears to be mostly wide open but trees are utilized on a few more holes (at least from what I can tell in older pictures - I started playing DG after this was closed).

The property is amazing and could easily provide a Top 20 course with the right design... in fact there is enough land for 5 Top 20 courses. There is drastic elevation change and a mix of open and wooded land. Not sure why the woods aren't utilized more. I am wondering if the county has restrictions on those areas.

Regardless, I am looking forward to seeing it in the ground. It has the elevation and distance that the Milwaukee Cty courses lack. If nothing else, it will force me to work on long distance accuracy. If that fails, I will be really good at upshots.

P.S. I don't think they would be putting this back in if MKE Cty hadn't adopted pay-to-play.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Heritage.jpg
    Heritage.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 116
Definitely looking into the Heritage Trails news. I found this from a Washington County Planning, Conservation and Parks Committee Report from last week:

"Field work will begin in April to install the 9 hole foot golf course and the 18 hole disc golf course at Heritage Trails County Park."

I agree that the old course was nothing worth paying for. Hopefully they will rectify that. I'm assuming both foot golf and disc golf will be pay-to-play, but can't find anything that confirms it.

Latest posts