• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Crafting Low Scores - Everything Discraft!

Pre Flight Numbers? That is what I have always thought.

More specifically, Innova used to not stamp the four numbers on discs, then started doing so. So a "PFN" disc is one where the flight numbers are not stamped on the disc.

More specifically, Innova used to not stamp the four numbers on discs, then started doing so. So a "PFN" disc is one where the flight numbers are not stamped on the disc.

Same goes for some other brands too, like Gateway as they did not have them on the discs but then did about the same time as Innova did. Other brands did it from the get go so those older companies that had a flight system rating Except DGA and Lighting put there numbers on the discs. Not sure if Lighting needed it with the baseline discs, as most showed what the disc would be like in flight on the disc a cool concept along with the Golf type system they switched the discs over to in the 1990's make the discs easier to understand from a non disc golf point of view. In Lighting Proline plastic though it would have been nice to have flight numbers.

Has anyone been throwing a challenger SS for a while? What are your opinions of how it wears in D line plastic? Jawbreaker? Is it pretty comparable to an aviar pna or classic? I'm likely going to bag an array of challengers or pair with banger-gts. I was looking for a disc with the feel of an aviar but flight of a p2 and decided to go back to an old favorite of mine in the challenger (seems to be a trend for me this year already)

Has anyone been throwing a challenger SS for a while? What are your opinions of how it wears in D line plastic? Jawbreaker? Is it pretty comparable to an aviar pna or classic? I'm likely going to bag an array of challengers or pair with banger-gts. I was looking for a disc with the feel of an aviar but flight of a p2 and decided to go back to an old favorite of mine in the challenger (seems to be a trend for me this year already)

I've been throwing a testflight Jawbreaker and a D since they came out, and they both have a good amount of stability in the 150-200 foot range. Farther then that, my form required a hyzerflip to keep them straight. I've only thrown a P2 a couple of times (Deeper and taller, not a fan.) so I don't know if P2's are more OS when putting power behind it, but at approach ranges they were comparable.

If they make these in Big Z, Z, or ESP this year, I'd switch to them.

I'd mainly be using the SS for finesse approach shots. The OG challenger would be for everything else, and maybe a OS for shorter hyzer approaches.

I was really hoping to like the OS. The bead needed to be larger, or they should have kept the original Challenger wing, and flattened the top to create the over stability. The SS feels great though.

Discraft's old system was uselessly vague.

Completely agree. Adding the flight numbers is huge in a retail standpoint. This is an actual conversation with a customer:

Customer: "Nuke is 1.6 and Surge SS is 1.6, and they both say Maximum Distance Driver. That means they're the same disc right?"

Me: "Ah no, the Nuke is a faster disc. So, depending on your arm speed, they may fly completely different"

Customer: "Oh, that's confusing, I'll stick with Innova"

Me: "I can show you the flight charts for Discraft!"

Customer: "Nah, I'd rather just be able to look at the Innova stamps wherever I buy them from and be able to easily compare them."

In a Facebook Discraft Q&A a couple years ago I asked about their rating system and they said that flight numbers are arbitrary and simplicity is better. I asked about the above situation and did not get an answer.

Flight numbers may be semi-arbitrary, but they at least help the buyer get an idea of possible flight paths, and easier comparisons between 2 discs from the same company.

Completely agree. Adding the flight numbers is huge in a retail standpoint. This is an actual conversation with a customer:

Customer: "Nuke is 1.6 and Surge SS is 1.6, and they both say Maximum Distance Driver. That means they're the same disc right?"

Me: "Ah no, the Nuke is a faster disc. So, depending on your arm speed, they may fly completely different"

Customer: "Oh, that's confusing, I'll stick with Innova"

Me: "I can show you the flight charts for Discraft!"

Customer: "Nah, I'd rather just be able to look at the Innova stamps wherever I buy them from and be able to easily compare them."

In a Facebook Discraft Q&A a couple years ago I asked about their rating system and they said that flight numbers are arbitrary and simplicity is better. I asked about the above situation and did not get an answer.

Flight numbers may be semi-arbitrary, but they at least help the buyer get an idea of possible flight paths, and easier comparisons between 2 discs from the same company.

Exactly. You need all the flight numbers...and you need a chart on the wall explaining exactly what all those numbers mean. Anyone new to DG would be horribly confused by Discraft's 1 number system.

Innova was the first company to use the 4 number flight number system, so I base all my ratings and reviews off of it.

I've heard that from some players too. They get annoyed about having to hear a Discraft disc compared to an Innova all the time to understand how it's supposed to fly.

Anyhow, who's throwing the Zombee right now? Finally ordered one to try and I'm excited to do field work with it. Going to throw it alongside my Stalkers and Buzzz's to see what it's all about.

Anyone new to DG would be horribly confused by Discraft's 1 number system.

This. My first time playing DG, the person that invited me explained the Innova 4-number system, so with that and some internet reading, I knew what it was when I went to buy discs (I got a Mako3 and an Aviar P&A).

I had no clue what the Discraft system was. I still don't, really. The first Discraft disc I bought was a Stratus, which said "distance driver" (it's a mid by any other name), and while the Stratus is a fine disc, the lack of a 4-number system was probably THE big reason I never bought many Discraft molds for a very long time.

So going to a 4-number system is something Discraft really needed to do to get and stay competitive with Innova and Trilogy.

I think having a more comprehensive numbering system will do nothing but help Discraft. They really do make great molds in great plastic. Discraft gets no hype and I see fewer and fewer of their discs around. However, I still like their stuff.

In today's crowded disc market they're going to have to do everything possible to remain relevant and get their discs into the hands of new players. People have to choose Discraft over DD, Westside, Prodigy, you name it.

Discraft Z is still one of the best flying, most durable plastics I've ever seen.

I think having a more comprehensive numbering system will do nothing but help Discraft. They really do make great molds in great plastic. Discraft gets no hype and I see fewer and fewer of their discs around. However, I still like their stuff.

In today's crowded disc market they're going to have to do everything possible to remain relevant and get their discs into the hands of new players. People have to choose Discraft over DD, Westside, Prodigy, you name it.

Discraft Z is still one of the best flying, most durable plastics I've ever seen.

I agree with all you said and with newer players I do not see them using Discraft, I did not but that was 2003 and they were not in my area, in fact you could not buy discs in my area yet and when it happend it was Innova that was sold and still sold. I still do not see newer players using Discraft, come out with a three pack beginner set or something. I see players using disc from Discraft just not as many now with Dynamic Discs making discs that are like Discraft discs the last few years, they are trying to take the Discraft players going as far as to take a Sponsored Pro from Discraft and build discs for Eric McCabe that are like old Discraft discs Wasp=EMac Truth but in more plastic choices. Sad but Dynamic Discs also did this with Innova player Dave Feldburg after he was dropped from Innova for his one comment, to really just steal how Innova did its YouTube Videos From Dave Feldburg. Soon after Feldburg came to Dynamic Discs the YouTube videos when up in quality for Dynamic Discs. I think the Eric McCabe was the worst just offering him a better deal so they could work with a pro to copy Discraft discs he used.

Anyhow that happens, business and Discraft needs to have the modern type number system even if other disc brands do not match each other, I say just keep the old one on the discs too for players who used that instead,.

Last edited:
I agree with all you said and with newer players I do not see them using Discraft, I did not but that was 2003 and they were not in my area, in fact you could not buy discs in my area yet and when it happend it was Innova that was sold and still sold. I still do not see newer players using Discraft, come out with a three pack beginner set or something. I see players using disc from Discraft just not as many now with Dynamic Discs making discs that are like Discraft discs the last few years, they are trying to take the Discraft players going as far as to take a Sponsored Pro from Discraft and build discs for Eric McCabe that are like old Discraft discs Wasp=EMac Truth but in more plastic choices. Sad but Dynamic Discs also did this with Innova player Dave Feldburg after he was dropped from Innova for his one comment, to really just steal how Innova did its YouTube Videos From Dave Feldburg. Soon after Feldburg came to Dynamic Discs the YouTube videos when up in quality for Dynamic Discs. I think the Eric McCabe was the worst just offering him a better deal so they could work with a pro to copy Discraft discs he used.

Anyhow that happens, business and Discraft needs to have the modern type number system even if other disc brands do not match each other, I say just keep the old one on the discs too for players who used that instead,.

Do you have sources for any of the stuff that you post? So many claims yet so little substance.

There is no pro named Feldburg.

David Feldberg is sponsored by Lat64, not DD.

Emac Truth is not a Wasp.

A disc golf company does not need to poach a pro DJ that they can copy discs from another manufacturer. That's asinine.

Casey, please stop posting this drivel. If you are intoxicated when you post here, fine, that explains things. Otherwise you are so often wrong it isn't funny anymore.

I think the Eric McCabe was the worst just offering him a better deal so they could work with a pro to copy Discraft discs he used.

Casey, please stop posting this drivel. If you are intoxicated when you post here, fine, that explains things. Otherwise you are so often wrong it isn't funny anymore.

Exactly, WTF is that comment about McCabe? I thought it was completely transparent that he and Rusco were like best friends and were the owners of DD. Readily verifiable, at least.

i have been putting with the ss for a couple months now. I throw roaches but couldn't get comfortable putting with them, but that is another story. My impression of the ss is it putts and flies like a magnet. It has a very different edge geometry then a magnet so in the hand it doesn't feel like one and it doesn't beat up as fast as a magnet which was my main complaint on the magnet, and why i kept looking for a different mold. The pro d that the ss came out in has a great feel almost jawbreaker like and is holding up really well so I haven't tried the jawbreaker yet.

Last edited:
One disc Discraft makes that no other mfrs. have come close to is the Flick. Its very thin, very fast, and very glideless. It feels almost like you're throwing a saw blade. I've thrown a lot of different overstable discs, and the Flick seems to be the most unique. I've also kept one in the bag for about a decade. Very versatile utility disc.

There are a million Buzzz clones out there, but no Flicks. Closest I've seen is probably the Rask.