• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

If you don't like the husk, you really might not be fond of the adult!

picture.php

Remember this guy? Well yesterday I was outside and heard a crazy loud cicada sound going on for a couple minutes. Went looking and found out what was going on. I was having Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom happen right in front of me, 20' from basket #8 on KMDGC.

I've heard of Cicada Killers before. I'm sure that I have seen them before, too, but didn't know what they were. Now I do.

picture.php

The struggle probably lasted 10 minutes with the killer finally making a meal out of its catch.

Thanks. Never knew there were wasps called Cicada Killers.

I was having Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom happen right in front of me, 20' from basket #8 on KMDGC.

So, you (Jim) were doing the dirty work, while Marlin had the cushy, safe position?

Used to watch that show all the time, when I was a kid. Jim Fowler always got the business end of the animal.

Last edited:
I've always liked wasps. Now I know why.

Cicada killers are super common around here. They like to dig holes under the edges of cement patios and similar things. They are usually solitary, unlike other wasps, or in mated pairs. The males are HUGE. Like, twice the size of my thumb huge. Totally harmless, though. They used to like flying through my legs when we had a couple of nests in the back yard, which...takes some getting used to, lol!

The females are much smaller but still large. They stun Cicadas with their venom, drag the still living meal back to the nest, and lay an egg (eggs?) on it so when the egg hatches it has a fresh meal waiting.

First time I saw one, before I knew what they were, I was all, "OH HELLZ NO!@!!! RUN!!!" :eek: :eek: :p :rolleyes:

Cool insect, though.

Remember this guy? Well yesterday I was outside and heard a crazy loud cicada sound going on for a couple minutes. Went looking and found out what was going on. I was having Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom happen right in front of me, 20' from basket #8 on KMDGC.

I've heard of Cicada Killers before. I'm sure that I have seen them before, too, but didn't know what they were. Now I do.

picture.php

The struggle probably lasted 10 minutes with the killer finally making a meal out of its catch.

Awesome pic. These are scary azz bugs!! As Juke says, gentle giants. Try telling my monkey brain that though.

Yowzer. Edible?

These aren't edible, but we do find quite a few Chanterelles, occasional Lion's mane and Oyster mushrooms too, which are a delicacy. Lots of other varieties all over the place, but I don't know enough about them to chance munching on them.

Found this guy walking across the parking lot at Central Assembly of God DGC yesterday. Tried to get him in my hat to put him back in the grass and he jumped on my hand. Was really calm at that point but must have liked the asphalt because just before we got to the grass he jumped off.

picture.php

Also saw a walking stick and let him climb up my arm at Knobley Mt. DGC but did t get a pic.

fuzzy lil guy
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20201006_131016_resized.jpg
    20201006_131016_resized.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 142