• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

I bet that cut down on donations, and increased the number of disc golfers randomly wandering around the course. :rolleyes:

I set a record for the briefest examination of a map, when I was carrying it and realized there was a spider on it.

I also undertook the adventure of catching one, so I could show it to the neighbor kids (they pick up everything, and I wanted them to identify at least one thing to not pick up).

Oddly, at another time we had a disc golfer from a distant state, who really wanted to see one....and I couldn't find one for him. I guess they were exotic to him, like alligators on a course in Florida, or grizzly bears in Montana (honestly, I wasn't eager to see one on my trip there, but it still would have been exotic).

I
Oddly, at another time we had a disc golfer from a distant state, who really wanted to see one.....I guess they were exotic to him

Living in Maryland and Eastern Pennsylvania, I am accustomed to seeing squirrels all over the place. It was funny to have a visitor from the West who saw them and said "Look at all the little rodents!" and wondered how we co-existed with them.

If it's any encouragement, I was amazed at the number of copperhead bites our dachshund sustained (and survived) when I was growing up. As often as she got bit hunting and killing those things, I'm sure they were not all "dry bites".

Yup, in 37 years I've treated 200+ copperhead bites and lost only two patients. One was a beagle with a sublingual bite, deceased on presentation. The other a pit with an axillary bite to the lymph nodes. Venom gravitated down the foreleg and chest wall over days causing the skin to die. Not a good thing. On the bright side here in west NC I don't have to deal with the eastern diamondbacks and water moccasins I grew up with in south GA. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living in Maryland and Eastern Pennsylvania, I am accustomed to seeing squirrels all over the place. It was funny to have a visitor from the West who saw them and said "Look at all the little rodents!" and wondered how we co-existed with them.

I just can't say the words "squirrel" and exotic in the same sentence. I've lived in FL and MI, and played pretty extensively throughout the eastern U.S. Pretty sure I've seen squirrels in every single state I've played in. They're so common, I honestly don't even notice them.

So I can't even wrap my heard around a disc golfer that thinks, "Oh wow, a squirrel! Now there's something you don't see every day." :confused:

But I haven played anything like what a lot of the courses in AZ, UT, NV, or NM look like, with that desert scrub type of environment. I imagine squirrels would be kinda scarce in that setting, :\

I just can't say the words "squirrel" and exotic in the same sentence. I've lived in FL and MI, and played pretty extensively throughout the eastern U.S. Pretty sure I've seen squirrels in every single state I've played in. They're so common, I honestly don't even notice them.

So I can't even wrap my heard around a disc golfer that thinks, "Oh wow, a squirrel! Now there's something you don't see every day." :confused:

But I haven played anything like what a lot of the courses in AZ, UT, NV, or NM look like, with that desert scrub type of environment. I imagine squirrels would be kinda scarce in that setting, :\

must those states bogey listed, cuz everywhere i've been there have been squirrels.

couple aquatic creatures from bud pell over the weekend
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20210619_115553_resized.jpg
    20210619_115553_resized.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 20210619_115849_capture_resized.jpg
    20210619_115849_capture_resized.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 239
Late yesterday, this cute fellow scared the bejeebers out of me. Twice.

Raccoon.jpg

The basket is just out of frame, in the upper right. But about 100' downstream from here, as I walked to where my second shot had landed, this critter charged me, snarling like a mountain lion. I retreated, with a sound more like a peacock. We faced off, about 30' apart, with my disc, lieing 2, between us.

I couldn't just leave the disc, because it was well-placed to give me a chance for birdie on this par-5 hole we've dubbed "The Valley of the Snowmen." You'll all understand. The raccoon couldn't leave because he was having too much fun scaring me. (How do you tell a rabid raccoon from a startled and angry one? The answer is, don't get bit so you don't have too.) So the face-off continued.

Eventually, the beast slowly wandered off and up the creek, and I was able to finish, get my birdie (yay!) and start over the footbridge to the next hole. The footbridge under which, as it turn out, the raccoon had wandered off to, and from which it let out another loud snarl, and I had to do another reflex test of old knees.

Waller Mill Williamsburg, Virginia No. 14 has a stream right in the middle of the fairway from tee to basket with heavy brush. The deer was hidden, and jump out just 30 feet in front of me and ran to the other side. Scared the crap out of me. I've made more than a dozen visits to Waller Mill and have always seen deer, except for one visit.

The turtle was on the next hole 15 , we both struggled walking ourselves straight up hill. My disc landed just 10 feet behind the turtle.

Attachments

• PIC_2038.JPG
    PIC_2038.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 52
  • PIC_2040.JPG
    PIC_2040.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 52
raccoons and "cute" don't belong in the same sentence. while I dig their resourcefulness, they cost be thousands of dollars in a new roof a few years back. relationship over!
You might take solace that my Tahoe killed at least one last week. Family of 4 crossing the highway in the middle of the night, not sure how many survived. :gross: