• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Getting stung by one yellowjacket is fairly unusual for the dog or I. It's usually more. (Although I have come to realize that I hardly get stung in the woods anymore if I have the dog with me- she winds up taking them for the team.)

during the summer at lake lewisville park here in tx, the park gets "infested" with lizards... horny toads and whatnot. they don't get in the way and they're actually kinda cool... you're pretty much guaranteed to see one on every fairway.
If you are seeing horn toads, that's pretty amazing. They are endangered I believe. Not sure why. I recall seeing them when I was young, but have not seen one in ages.

A wild turkey at Giles Run Meadows in Lorton, VA on yesterday. My drive was errant on no. 6 and went into the right rough. This startled the enormous bird who trotted out into the open fairway, went over to the other side, then came back across as I was approaching the basket. I gave it a wide berth. That's a really, really big bird. I have once before encountered a flock of them on a local ball-golf course, nestled in a grove of trees between the manic I-95 freeway and green of no. 10 or no. 11 at Forest Greens.

About a month back, a fairly small gator, guessing from head size about 3-4 feet, moved from the nearby pond into a small ditch that was holding water maybe a foot deep. The ditch runs across hole #7, with limbs right above it and trees on both sides. Very common to hit the limbs and drop into or near the ditch. I did, and retrieving my disc, not seeing him, the gator was less than 2 feet from me, and made a huge splashing noise as he disappeared. Scared the crap out of me! Every time I played there, I observed him 'living' in the ditch, for about two weeks, when the water was drying up considerably, and I assume he moved through the nearby underground drainage pipe back into the pond. Other than the scare that first time, I rather enjoyed observing him and checking to see was he still in the ditch. During his time in the ditch, he was always in the exact same spot, and always with his head above the water but never his body, always in the exact same position. Those familiar with gators in the wild know, when you observe them, they rarely move - usually so still you would think they are a statue - but one other time I got too close, retrieving a disc, and he bolted into the nearby drainage pipe (but that time, he was back in his usual position when I played the next day). I played a bit extra during those two weeks, trading in practice field work for rounds of DG, just to keep tabs on my buddy.

Three doe crossed right behind the basket on #5 at Cass Benton Hills this morning. You may need to zoom in a bit to get a good look at them, but it was everything I could do to get a shot off before they disappeared.
1000000616.jpg