• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

GA EMU

Lake Russell state park. 2001ish. Heading to the first tee I caught an odd shape out of the corner of my eye.

Out from the woods came quite a sight. It was all of a 7' tall emu. Came walking toward me like I was his buddy. Needless to say I was a bit dazed and confused by the sight. I recall standing there for what seemed like 10-15 min just staring back at it. I think he figured out I was not good for any grub and he turned and slowly reentered the forest. I often wonder what came of him. g

5yAxUd2l.jpg

Not on the course per se, but walking to the course. Almost ran over him. The thing didn't give a darn about anything going on around him. Just sat in the middle of the bike trail like he owned the joint. Ended up prodding him off of the rail so he wouldn't get hit.

aoaO4xUl.jpg

Course had a few black( melanistic ) squirrels. Not just dark brown, but midnight black. Definitely caught our eye while throwing.

Our course is built around the duck pond at the local park so it abounds with wildlife. For out of state visitors probably the Nutria get the most attention. Have yet to see a snake but I know they're out there.

Looking forward to seeing some wildlife now that Winter finally lifted in MN. Starting to see and hear more birds out but my only close encounter was with a very scrawny stray cat.

5yAxUd2l.jpg

Not on the course per se, but walking to the course. Almost ran over him. The thing didn't give a darn about anything going on around him. Just sat in the middle of the bike trail like he owned the joint. Ended up prodding him off of the rail so he wouldn't get hit.

aoaO4xUl.jpg

Course had a few black( melanistic ) squirrels. Not just dark brown, but midnight black. Definitely caught our eye while throwing.

Wish there were more than leaves for scale, but that snake looks pretty long. Wonder how many of those squirrels he's taken care of.

Recent wildlife in Florida.

Jonesville - 1 bald eagle near 18 basket.

Debary - 2 bald eagles nest on high power lines by parking area. They have other nests in trees as well around the park.

Amelia Earhart in Miami - A red & grey fox by #8.

Northside park in Gainsville - A very large owl swooped right above my head. Could not believe how big they are.

My avitar pic is from pine oaks Ocalla, Fl. Lots of hawks there.

Yesturday I walked up to the first tee an not even 5 feet from me a female deer she just kept eating I must of stood there watching for 10 minutes before she looks over at me again an slowly walks away. Also seen a fox lots of snakes. When your the first guy or group super early morning ur garanteed to see wildlife

Here in Southern Arizona we see tons of Rattlesnakes, coyotes and hawks. 2-3 times a year in the morning I'll see bobcats which are pretty cool and twice I've seen Gila Monsters which are really awesome to see out in the wild. Our fundraiser disc this year even had a Gila Monster on it. Cool stuff.

My buddy and I watched a coyote running back & forth across fairway on hole 9 at Lakewood King County park in Seattle, last year. Two months ago we had a large deer run up behind us on hole 7 at Fort Steillacoom-NW and it had a border collie close on its heels...pretty funny. The crazy part of both encounters is how close we were to some very urban areas (Seattle & Tacoma), but still had some amazing encounters with wildlife.

Let's see... Wildlife I have encountered while playing DG: turtles, squirrels, snakes (venomous and non-venomous), bugs (lots of bugs and like the snakes some venomous and some non-venomous), deer, rabbits, teenagers, hawks, buzzards, wood peckers, wild turkeys, ducks & geese, numerous song birds, dogs and bats (no cats) I think that's about it.

This year: 1 deer, 1 snake, 1 albino squirrel ( so weird) and of curse the reg. Amount of red/brown squirrels & chipmunks.

Latest posts