• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Let's see... Wildlife I have encountered while playing DG: turtles, squirrels, snakes (venomous and non-venomous), bugs (lots of bugs and like the snakes some venomous and some non-venomous), deer, rabbits, teenagers, hawks, buzzards, wood peckers, wild turkeys, ducks & geese, numerous song birds, dogs and bats (no cats) I think that's about it.

Well done.

While attending the 2014 Mountain Jam on Hunter Mountain, NY, I played the 12 Hole Temp Course Saturday morning with my brother, cousin and a friend. After I teed off on hole 8, a 300lb Black Bear ran past the basket and across the adjacent fairway. By the time we got our cell phones out to get a picture, the bear ducked into the trees and out of sight. For the final 4 holes, we made a lot of noise while walking through the trees. When we finished playing we spoke with one of the course regulars and he confirmed it was a 3 year old female Black Bear that lives on the mountain.

A 28 year old horse that had gotten spooked the night before during a storm. There is a horse farm right next to hole 11 at Castle Hayne, Me and my son are playing a round the other day and these 2 ladies are running around in a panic looking for something. Great thing about DGers is that we all love the outdoors and are all (mostly anyway) willing to help others out. Everyone that was out there that day started looking for this old horse. One of the ladies ended up finding it in the middle of the woods, laying down in a ditch covered in thorn bushes and in the middle of a bunch of trees. Still don't know how she found it. The horse was struggling to walk and when we were leaving they had the horse laying down on the 10th fairway waiting for a vet to show up. We were trying to give it water in a disc but it didn't want anything to do with it. Crazy and sad at the same time

In GA it's mostly deer, snakes, frogs, squirrels, chipmunks, and all manor of birds. I've also run into some raccoons raiding the trash cans.

Not to many venomous guys this year yet though.

In south GA I've seems gator or two, and in WI one of the biggest groundhogs I've ever seen. He lives off the #2 tee box at Brickyard and will pop up and scare you silly.

Unfortunately one of the critters I see the most are dogs off leashes belonging to casual walkers near the course. They are all fine until they chew on my Firebird, then it's on.

the list right now... of living things almost hit:

deer, turkey, rabbit, squirrel, garter snake, turtle, robin, turkey vulture, toad, frog, butterfly and Baltimore orioles...

really the turtles are out of control... :)

Hole 10 at Creekside in Archdale, NC. My momentum carried me off the tee and I bumped into some small cut logs with the point of my foot. I thought "What is this crap doing here" and kicked a couple of them out of the way and then 180ed to get my bag. I walk up and lo and behold there was a very cross, young copperhead coiled up where those logs were. "That could've ruined a round" I thought, stepped around and it and commenced my round. I come back around for my next round and it's still there, except this time some jerk face brained the little sucker to death. :mad:

I felt bad for not scurrying the thing off the hole and into the woods. :(

^^^

I hear you. We only killed the venomous ones when they were around the yard. If they were out in the woods we just let them be.

ry%3D400

This beautiful red-tailed hawk landed on a branch about 8 feet over my head while my crew and I were sitting at the #2 tee box at Buffalo Ridge. He hung out for about 10 minutes. He was not afraid of us at all. He let me walk over to my bag and grab my phone so I could snap a couple of pics.

How big is that lizard?! Looks huge in that pic. I thought I just had a fear of snakes but if I saw those running around the course I might add to that list.

How big is that lizard?! Looks huge in that pic. I thought I just had a fear of snakes but if I saw those running around the course I might add to that list.
He was probably right at about a foot from head to tail. We see them all the time at The Ridge. As well as snakes, jack-rabbits of course hawks and even coyotes.

10501818_10201817073300886_8181379676264438364_n.jpg

Bullsnake, he was moving fast so hard to get a good picture. Maybe 5' long in all.

Latest posts