• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

My tourney card heard a squirrel fall out of a tree or got thrown out of it the other day, we thought a big branch fell down. Then all we see is a squirrel limping around dazed and another squirrel making noise in the tree, probably laughing or...

4329631-2372207452-highl.jpg

maybe she black widowed his a$$.

I love Stafford Woods... only a few minutes from where I grew up...
pretty decent course to IMO

nice picture

I saw so many deer at Stafford Woods Sunday morning. They have absolutely no fear either. I also found a disc on hole 6. Texted the guy right away. Turns out he lived close by so he came right over and got it back. Good day out on the course!

I gotta make sure to take a camera with me to the courses..... I used to see deer quite often in Washington. Last wildlife I saw was day before yesterday at Mesquite DGC in Chandler, AZ. I heard a hellacious noise about 40 yards ahead of me. I looked up in time to see a coyote chasing a jack rabbit that was damn near as big as the coyote. Was pretty cool to see.

Had these 2 young fawns follow and act as a gallery through 3 holes this morning.

swdgfawns_zpsmqr8gfi5.jpg
Deer are great about spectator etiquette... they never make noise and stand perfectly still whenever I putt. :p

Hawks!

Playing James Dillon Course in Hamilton County a few weeks ago, a big hawk came sailing in towards the Green, went right into a small group of trees nearby....it came in right above our heads!

On 8/1/15 me and 2 buddies were playing the Red side at Diamond X in Billings, MT.

Hole 7, we saw a rattlesnake hanging out about 70% down the fairway. It was pretty chill; slithered away but didn't give a warning rattle or anything.

On the very next hole, my friend Dave just about stepped on a different [bigger!] rattler about 100' off the tee pad! That one was definitely pissed off and rattled up a storm in a nearby bush for a while. We tried to pin it down but it was too well protected so we eventually left it there to be angry.

Teeing off of the back 9, we saw another a group that had just played the other [green] front side. What do you know, they saw a rattlesnake on hole 9 green!

TL;DR -- 3 distinct rattlesnake sightings in ~30 minutes at Diamond X. Watch out!

Out in the southwest there are mule deer instead of whitetail. They are a lot less skittish and just sort of walk around at a relaxed pace, like a slightly skittish farm cow. Thing is, they like to hang out in groups and look for grassy bits(it's shrubland, not grassland) and it gets annoying to disc around them. I once hit a doe with a drive and exherting energy shooing them away was a common occurrence. During the hotter parts of the day mule deer have their fawns lie down somewhere and await their return, curled up in a ball, protected only by their camouflage spots. Once, I kid you not, I walked up to my disc to find it inches away from one of these fawns, lil bugger just sat there while I took my upshot; never moving. I saw a total of three of them balled up like that on the course the summer that I spent in New Mexico.

It wasn't on the course, but this little guy and his buddy were trying to get in the trash can in the carport. His friend booked it, but this dude just hung out...

Attachments

• 20150819_214238.jpg
    20150819_214238.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 102