• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Ground yellowjackets on in between holes 7 and 8. EVIL critters.... thankfully I didn't "run in" to them, just noticed the cloud of them before walking into it...

^Not sure if this constitutes as a critter we have ran into at a course, but we did run into the weird intestine crap on your home course, Jer!

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but at Lake Township Park in Bridgman, MI and other area courses with sandy soil I've seen these monsters:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphecius_speciosus

They're actually quite harmless unless you decide to pick one up or something dumb like that. Even knowing that they're still terrifying to have buzzing around to say the least due simply to their size since they're like 2 or 3 times larger than any bumble bee or wasp.

I hit a goose on a drive last week at the lake. Shook it off like a champ, honked at me and headed out into the water. It happens every now and then. The local tournament here is called the goosepoop open for good reason.

We had a player get bitten by a copperhead at Loriella Park this weekend.

Hope that they're OK.

I ran into a black snake between basket #1 and tee #2 when I was there. Of course, it just quietly slid into the woods without incident.

I hit a goose on a drive last week at the lake. Shook it off like a champ, honked at me and headed out into the water. It happens every now and then. The local tournament here is called the goosepoop open for good reason.

2vl3di8.jpg

Last year at Horning's on the Canyon course, when I threw my drive off hole 1 it turned over a little more than I wanted and I hit one of the peacocks. It put up a little ruckus, then just wandered off wondering what the hell had just happened. I felt pretty bad, but was glad I didn't hit it in the head or neck, that would probably have been permanent lights-out.

^Not sure if this constitutes as a critter we have ran into at a course, but we did run into the weird intestine crap on your home course, Jer!

Yeah that was disgusting, and of course covered in yellowjackets. Man my course seems to have a wasp problem around fall...

I encountered a wild crackhead on hole 2 at Central about an hour ago, just wandering down the fairway. I said hi, my gesture was not returned. In feudal culture, this would be grounds for a duel to the death.

Last edited:
Saw one of these:

image_25.jpg

randomly fall out of a tree with a heavy thud while working on a course in MI.

It recovered after a bit (it was bleeding transparent purple blood in the spot it landed on) and seemed no worse for wear so I put it in a tree branch and hoped that it didn't become bird food. :)

Ran into this bad boy on the course yesterday. He was over by the putting area at Elon Park.

2015-09-11%25252015.04.59.jpg

Here he is next to my 'melon for a size comparision:

2015-09-11%25252015.05.12.jpg

He was the size of a hot dog!

Latest posts