• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

I was practicing on my property (Sunset Ridge DG Training Facility) after work yesterday. One of my cats (Tina Louise) decided to hang out with me. I was throwing mids and putters back and forth between 2 baskets about 140 feet apart. Once my cat got about 40 feet from one of the targets I started throwing again over her head. She would watch it fly past her then turn around and wait for me to throw another. It was pretty funny. After I walked up and grabbed the 5 discs I started to throw again over her head. She watched the first three again. On the fourth throw (2005 Ontario Roc with a Pro Women's 3rd place stamp from pro world doubles) I hit the tray and Tina got real excited when the disc rolled away. My next shot (First run gold CE Cobra) went over her head and she watched it go in the chains. She turned and sprinted straight at me as I raised both hands up in excitement. She thought I was some sort of a god!! It was hilarious!

Tina Louise wouldn't happened to be a ginger colored cat would she? :D

I was traveling through Southern IL for work yesterday and stopped at a state park on Rend Lake and played a course. As I was leaving I saw a bobcat pop out of a plastic drainage pipe, then go back in when it spotted me. Always cool to see bobcats.

I will have to wait till I get home from work to see this picture, as it appears to be blocked at my job, just shows a white box with a red X.

Huge Orb Weaver spider. Thats a nice one!:thmbup:

edit.....In case you were still wondering what the picture was?? LOL I didnt realize until now that I replied to a comment from 2010....OOPS!

Last edited:
This picture should show it better:

spiderondisc.jpg

I'd run like a little girl screaming all the way... probably

Yeah, my brother-in-law saw one drop from a tree while taking a walk. Reptiles really aren't built for chilly weather.

That's pretty funny. It's sad too, but maybe the low temps is a good thing overall for the FL ecosystem. It's crazy what a non-native species can do over a long period of time. Hints the python bounty someone mentioned earlier.

UaDgBb0.png

Anyone know what the heck this is? Saw by a friend on a course in Plantation Florida

UaDgBb0.png

Anyone know what the heck this is? Saw by a friend on a course in Plantation Florida

These are commonly referred to as spiny orb weavers. A common spider native to the southern US, found from southern California to North Carolina. In this picture the spider seems to be hiding under its shell like abdomen in an attempt to look inedible.

^^ Used to see those growing up in So Fla. They're pretty small (about the size of your fingernail), but always thought they looked cool.

Happened upon the remains of a Red Tailed Hawk, walking between holes on the quite appropriately named Red Hawk X course at Independence Lake County Park. Looked pretty fresh. Check out those talons. I can't imagine too many animals in these parts stealthy/agile enough to catch one. Did a quick Google search for "animals that eat hawks" ...I can definitely picture an eagle being one that is.

Sorry it's not super clear, but you can certainly make out enough to tell what it is.

Attachments

• Dead Hawk.jpg
    Dead Hawk.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
^^ Used to see those growing up in So Fla. They're pretty small (about the size of your fingernail), but always thought they looked cool.

Happened upon the remains of a Red Tailed Hawk, walking between holes on the quite appropriately named Red Hawk X course at Independence Lake County Park. Looked pretty fresh. Check out those talons. I can't imagine too many animals in these parts stealthy/agile enough to catch one. Did a quick Google search for "animals that eat hawks" ...I can definitely picture an eagle being one that is.

Sorry it's not super clear, but you can certainly make out enough to tell what it is.

Very cool.....well, not the death of the Hawk part, but nature playing out at Indy. I would have to guess a coyote or fox would be one of the few predators that could handle a Hawk that big.

Very cool.....well, not the death of the Hawk part, but nature playing out at Indy. I would have to guess a coyote or fox would be one of the few predators that could handle a Hawk that big.

My first thought was a coyote, but I just can't see a healthy hawk allowing one to get within striking distance, although it's possible this bird was injured. Google says the most likely animals to prey on hawks are eagles and larger hawks. Those didn't occur to me at the time, but it makes sense.

I used to work at a golf course. There was a pair of red tail hawks that brooded there. I used to find little piles of feathers all the time from where one of them took out a pigeon. Only saw it happen once barely out of the corner of my eye, movement then just an explosion of feathers...:thmbup:

My first thought was a coyote, but I just can't see a healthy hawk allowing one to get within striking distance, although it's possible this bird was injured. Google says the most likely animals to prey on hawks are eagles and larger hawks. Those didn't occur to me at the time, but it makes sense.

Yep....I would agree. Maybe a Bobcat. Redtail is about the biggest Hawk round these parts. Eagle is a possibility, but they usually stick to a territory with a food souce, pond, lake, river....and I have not seen an Eagle around Indy. Interesting for sure.

I used to work at a golf course. There was a pair of red tail hawks that brooded there. I used to find little piles of feathers all the time from where one of them took out a pigeon. Only saw it happen once barely out of the corner of my eye, movement then just an explosion of feathers...:thmbup:

I have a couple Coopers Hawks in my neighborhood for the last couple years. They have decimated the Morning Dove population. The are small, very fast Hawks that pick the Doves off of tree branches and utility lines. They often fly below the canopy in the neighborhood at high speed and turning. Crazy to get buzzzed by one while out raking leaves as such. Nature is cool.

Latest posts