• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

I walked up on 3 river otters on a green at Stoney Hill, early morning about 2 weeks ago. All 4 of us were startled. They were presumably traveling up a shallow creek, and went bounding and bouncing down it, into the woods and out of sight. I saw their droppings a few days later by the pond, but we've since had a tournament, and the crowds probably ran them off.

I was practicing on my property (Sunset Ridge DG Training Facility) after work yesterday. One of my cats (Tina Louise) decided to hang out with me. I was throwing mids and putters back and forth between 2 baskets about 140 feet apart. Once my cat got about 40 feet from one of the targets I started throwing again over her head. She would watch it fly past her then turn around and wait for me to throw another. It was pretty funny. After I walked up and grabbed the 5 discs I started to throw again over her head. She watched the first three again. On the fourth throw (2005 Ontario Roc with a Pro Women's 3rd place stamp from pro world doubles) I hit the tray and Tina got real excited when the disc rolled away. My next shot (First run gold CE Cobra) went over her head and she watched it go in the chains. She turned and sprinted straight at me as I raised both hands up in excitement. She thought I was some sort of a god!! It was hilarious!

Last edited:
^One of my cats loves to watch me putt. She'll just lay down under the path of the putters and chirp at the discs as they fly over her. One time she leaped and tried to catch one - hasn't tried that again, lol.

I recently hit a groundhog next to the basket from about 290 on a wooded fairway. Some friends and I approached hole 9 at a local course. One guy looked down the fairway and said "whats that?" Someone else said "oh wow, its a groundhog the size of a dog!" I teed off while it was sitting just under the basket and parked hole 9, bouncing off the poor creature. I saw him again the next time i played that hole but he stopped hanging out under the basket. I can only assume he's plotting against me to this day.

I recently hit a groundhog next to the basket from about 290 on a wooded fairway. Some friends and I approached hole 9 at a local course. One guy looked down the fairway and said "whats that?" Someone else said "oh wow, its a groundhog the size of a dog!" I teed off while it was sitting just under the basket and parked hole 9, bouncing off the poor creature. I saw him again the next time i played that hole but he stopped hanging out under the basket. I can only assume he's plotting against me to this day.

Expect to be trapped in a time warp at any moment.

You should let him borrow your truck.
images

Saw a black bear last year. Had just finished up the 18th at the course I was playing at which is a 1500 foot downhill hole off the top of a small ski hill. We turn around and about halfway up the hill we see the bear just strolling across the hill having come out of the woods off to one side. Didn't look like it had a care in the world.

Bear might've been looking for a lost Champ Groove...

2 weeks ago we were playing this course: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3538. There's a small stream that you cross on the walk to hole 1, and some nice-sized salmon were running in it. We went to get a better look, and there in the mud was a fresh trail of 10 or 12 well-defined bear tracks. The shiny thing is a quarter. We didn't see the big guy.

Attachments

• 20171124_113844 (1).jpg
    20171124_113844 (1).jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 139
Sometimes when I hit Pier Park in Portland OR proper, we see young peregrine falcons learning to hunt up in the trees and on the ground in the brush, apparently unshaken by the presence of people and DGers.

I got to thinking one time... you know, there does seem to be a dirge of cute, fuzzy, forest mammals in Pier Park. Maybe the presence of falcons goes part of the way to explain why. :popcorn:

Apologies for the lousy image quality, but until this trip, I've never come across an iguana on a course, and Orangebrook is teaming with them. Just another non-indigenous species that seemingly all over South Florida now. Saw quite a few that were definitely in the 3-4 foot range.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Buggers can move pretty fast... on a warm day.

Attachments

• Iguana70.jpg
    Iguana70.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 223
  • Iguana by #1 basket.jpg
    Iguana by #1 basket.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Florida has iguanas in the wild now? Are people just releasing their pets all the time in Florida?

Apparently... and they certainly seem to be thriving there. Saw at least half a dozen along the banks of a canal at the end of the block my mom lives on... never saw one in the wild when I was growing up.

Iguanas and Pythons are now rampant in SOFL. The states animal control services have started handing out bounties on the Pythons as they are taking over the glades with no real predators to stop them. Apparently snake hunters from Asia and Africa are going to FL to cash in.

I foresee python and iquana skin boots and such increasing in popularity.
Wouldn't doubt you could give the meat to homeless shelters. I've heard iguana's actually pretty good. :|

Last edited: