• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

was playing a round at MCC with a buddy who is really into hunting. just as we were walking past the bridge on the way 18's tee, i noticed movement in the trees across the creek. suddenly 3 deer are flying out of the trees and take off across the creek and off into the woods where the back nine are.

the best part was that my buddy instinctively went into hunting mode. as soon as they appeared he starts chucking discs overhand at them. i was laughing so hard i barely got to enjoy the spectacle.

We've come across cotton mouths (water moccasin), alligator snappy turtles, grass snakes, coyotes, and hornet nests... but I'd say the rattle snake things pretty intense.

Playing my local course Saturday I saw a nice sized black snake and just about $hit bricks but left it alone and played on also found a toad and put it back into the woods.

I've seen turkeys and once even saw a deer chasing a screaming kid on a bike. My favorite though was the time I had my old dalmation with me. A groudhog crossed about 15 yards in front of us, he ran it down, torn its guts out, and came back to heel. The whole thing took maybe 4 seconds. I was too stunned to try to stop him.

Lake Fenwick, WA. As I was getting ready to tee off from an elevated tee, a big ole owl was sitting on a branch right directly in my line (That's probably the safest place this owl could have been). I'm sure there's some major financial penalty for killing an owl so I walk about 150' and stand underneath him and yell at him. He just swivels his head and stares me down. So I pick up a stick and throw it at him. With this he flies over to another branch out of the way.

I was trying to finish a round one summer night at Steilacoom Park, WA. It's getting dark enough that I'm worried about not being able to find my discs. Suddenly a deer comes crashing out of the brush right towards me! Scared the hell out of me! Not that Im afraid of deer but it startled the hell outta me.

my type of thread

Actually, I'd never had problems with wildlife until the last few months

Hole #7 at http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1114 Chickasaw park I swear is wildlife central. not only have i seen snakes in the creek on this hole, I also hit a squirrel on the basket (not intentionally, it jumped in front of my disc)

Also, I had a nice encounter with what i believe was a gator on hole 5 at http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=190 South Alabama. came around the blind corner and saw something running into the swamp behind the basket, taking my disc with it. :wall:

Here is the terrible pic of the orangutan from my mobile phone. I still can't believe that is what the sound was.

Attachments

• orangutan.jpg
    orangutan.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 188
Only really geese, and a few squirles around here, allthough......... i did throw a drive one day and almsot hit a deer rinning through the woods right as i threw.......

I went to get my disc out of the edge of the water the other day and was about to grab a tree to hang onto when I noticed that there was a water moccasin on it. Well I just decided to leave the disc. I'm not a big fan of snakes let alone poisonous ones. I have a snapping turtle just enjoying his day walking on the course one time also. But I'm not really afraid of them. There was a hawk one time sitting up in a tree on the 2nd hole at Anna Page on the west course. It was cool just sitting up in the tree waiting for something to come by.

I was playing with some friends and it started raining on our thrid round just as we finished hole 6. Running back along the course across hole 5, I saw something move on the ground, jumped in the air screaming like a girl only to find it was a baby squirrel trying to hide!

When I was living in Sacramento I saw a couple of snakes on the course in Orangevale not nothing major.

There is more squirrels at my home feild that anywhere in the world i swear. You see at least 15 every time im there. My personal favorite targets are the local cross country teams that choose to use the course on there daily run

BEES! there was 2 instances where we ran into bee's
1) off the side of a bluff where a hole was, we were looking for a disc for at least 20 minutes and it was hot and sticky and there were pricker bushes and poison ivy everywhere...so already it sucked...then my friend Dave goes "****...dude, don't move...bee's...everywhere...they're all over my feet." (i was right next to him so i saw them and they were everywhere.) I was like "ok...on the count of 3 lets just haul ass up to the fairway area" so on 3 we booked it and since of course we are running we aren't sure if they are all over us or not so we just keep running...haha, it was funny later, and nobody got stung

2) there was a hive in the ground literally 2 feet from a pin (Hole #10 St.Mary's University Winona, MN) It was like 2 years ago, but when people didn't know...it was a catastrophe

We also have Bald Eagles like crazy! the course I play a lot (and played today actually) Pettibone DG LaCrosse, WI....right on the Mississippi River. Bald eagles are seriously everywhere...and owls, and falcons, and woodchucks...and mosquito's...i wish all mosquito's would just fukcing die already.

seen a snake, blue heron, uhh, fawn (baby deer) almost nailed it with my drive off a bluff hole.
i think thats it

Disc golf in paradise

I was playing at night at Wailoa River Park on the Big Island of Hawaii and lost my disc on a freshly mowed fairway. I looked for 30 minutes, no luck. While looking in the place I KNEW it landed, there it was, right next to the big ass toad that had been sitting on it for the last half hour.

Thomas just reminded me of a time, hole 15 @ the Z: Large Redtail Hawk, under the canopy. Interesting. Cameraphones start getting close. WHOOF! Hawk takes off in a fast b-line to... SQUIRREL! LMFAO you shoulda seen that squirrel freak out. Hawk missed, flew thru the trees in a semi-circle and appears to land on a nest. STOMP! STOMP! STOMP! Hawk begins tearing apart the nest. Apparently a sqirrels nest. Then someone got too close, and the hawk left.

This particular hawk is one of a pair that call Z-Boaz DGC home. We see him all the time.

Thomas just reminded me of a time, hole 15 @ the Z: Large Redtail Hawk, under the canopy. Interesting. Cameraphones start getting close. WHOOF! Hawk takes off in a fast b-line to... SQUIRREL! LMFAO you shoulda seen that squirrel freak out. Hawk missed, flew thru the trees in a semi-circle and appears to land on a nest. STOMP! STOMP! STOMP! Hawk begins tearing apart the nest. Apparently a sqirrels nest. Then someone got too close, and the hawk left.

This particular hawk is one of a pair that call Z-Boaz DGC home. We see him all the time.

We saw 2 giant Turkey Vultures about 2 years ago on the woods on the right on #7. Whatever they were eating stunk really bad for about 2 weeks. I posted about this somewhere before. It scared the crap out of my buddy, who went in looking for his disc. We had no idea 2 birds as big as us were going to fly out of there when he went in.

These live in the hole on hole 8:
critter.jpg

I've seen these guys quite a few times at Rankin. That's one of the cooler things about my home course. It's a great place to see some different birds.

A couple weeks ago we saw a pair circling overhead at Joseph Davis SP. The park runs along the Niagara River and Bald Eagles are seen with some regularity along the lower river. Lots of other raptors in the park as well.

Wow, I never would of thought this thread would take off so rapidly. I guess the critters on the course are part of the game. I will have to start taking my camera with me, so that maybe I can start documenting these encounters.

Latest posts