• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Not taking the time to read the whole thread (sorry...), but the hawk vs. squirrel is a very common occurrence at Rutgers. There's a pair of red-tails that literally "use" we dg'ers as 'flushers'. They will follow us around the course...waiting for us to 'get the squirrels nervous'...scamper them (the squirrels) to an opposite side (from us) of a tree...where the hawks have a clear shot at them.
Have actually seen more than once (in 5 years of only occasionally playing there) hawky get lunch.

Karl

I saw a rapid raccon at Genesseo and at everytime I play Seneca I see chipmunks, squirrels,and tons of deer.

Wow that would be awesome to see, Ive only seen a handful of the normal ones, but their still pretty quick.

spottedwhiptail.jpg

Texas Spotted Whiptail I believe.
Yeah, starting this thread was bad. I can do this all day, every day. Always have my camera with me.

Came across a couple of turkeys last week at Hudson Mills in MI. Pretty cool to see. It was standing right in the fairway as we were teeing off. Surprised none of us hit it.

I saw two rabbits hop onto a fairway a couple weeks ago and make sweet bunny love for about 5 seconds. I guess they do everything fast...

There's a hole at Riney B called the boneyard. Lots of bones around there from deer that coyotes or something killed. Just a little creepy to see the entire spine of an animal as you're golfing.

nothing more than a garter snake up here in st. louis

plenty of bugs though :) (good god they've been bad so far this year)

(on a related note, OFF Skintastic WILL keep the skeeters off of you, but it seems the sweet smell actually ATTRACTS gnats. Just barely on the plus side of the tradeoff.)

My son and I have seen a few critters. There are a couple big foxes that live at our local course and some huge turkey vulture type birds and some deer. Plenty of squirrels, geese, and birds, one of the birds actually died due to a mid-flight collision with my son's disc. Hole one and two actually border the local zoo, so you can see some huge elk and buffalo.
And at our other local spot I almost walked right through a rattlesnake nest! It was right in the fairway at CSU #7.

Last edited:
A defunct course called the Goat Path (on a working goat farm) had an area in a fairly deep ravine that was played around (and you could end up if you had an errant throw) where they would throw the carcasses of those who didn't make the dinner plate. It was, well, kinda gross to see legs sticking up into the air when there was a recent addition...

Thankfully all of the tourneys were played in the late fall through early spring so the smell of the graveyard wasn't too bad...:gross:

A defunct course called the Goat Path (on a working goat farm) had an area in a fairly deep ravine that was played around (and you could end up if you had an errant throw) where they would throw the carcasses of those who didn't make the dinner plate. It was, well, kinda gross to see legs sticking up into the air when there was a recent addition...

Thankfully all of the tourneys were played in the late fall through early spring so the smell of the graveyard wasn't too bad...:gross:

hawk hollow is on a working cattle farm- we have had a couple of incidences of people throwing on/near corpses that we (the farmers) hadn't noticed (this only occurs with stillborn calves generally). whenever it happens i just tell them to chalk it up to a true agrarian experience.

Besides the usual Indiana Wildlife (deer, bunnies, snakes, woodchucks), I've had a crayfish/crawdad attacking my disc when I walked up to it. Yes it was 40 feet from a pond, but still, I've never seen them walking on the ground before. (had to take a cell phone pic of that one.)

Seen a large bird today flying down the creek. I believe it was a Great Blue Heron.

I have a few stories from my home course, since its 100% wooded, but I will start with this one. This was the worst experience I have ever had on a disc golf course:

I was playing with my brother and two other guys and I had shanked my second throw between the #17 fairway (the hole we were on) and the #10 basket. I put my bag down near my disc, and reach down to get the disc.

All of the sudden, my hand felt like it was on fire, and I looked down and saw something black and yellow on my hand. I first thought I had just gotten bitten by those big spiders, but then I noticed things buzzing around me. I had set my bag down on a yellow jackets nest in the ground.

I hauled ass out of there, but not before I got stung 3 more times. Then, they swarmed my bag, and we couldn't get with in 15ft of it. My brother found a very long tree branch, probably 20ft long, and hooked my bag and drug it away from the nest. We then dumped everything out and started to beat the yellow jackets that were still inside.

We finished up at 18, and sat down and talked about what just happened. They wanted to play another round, so I made 9 more holes, and I just didn't feel good after that, so I went home and recovered. I hope I never go through anything like that again.

badass Z-boaz. And damn midnight thats some unfortunate luck, could of sucked big if you were allergic. I will have to watch where I put my bag from now on

Got barked at by two foxes today while looking for my disc on hole 3 at Barber park in Greensboro. They are some funny sounding critters, I think I was near a den.

Latest posts