• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

There is a redtail hawk that lives in Pinchot state park here in pa. I have seen him several times at the boulder woods course there. The other day he was seriously sitting on a picnic table eating a chipmunk as I walked up to tee off on hole 1. Looked at me but didn't really care, it was pretty cool for a nature lover like me.

We have a redtail family nesting on a hole at a local course. I've personally seen one of the adults grab a two foot snake that was right next to the practice basket I was shooting and proceed to fly off over my head with it.

I've also seen some of the older hawks in that family dive onto long drives that go through their nesting area on occasion.

I've seen bear and moose on the courses in Alaska. Lots of Copperheads and Water Moccasins in Texas.

For my squirrel story, well I have two, but the first one is about a squirrel that was up about 20 or thirty feet in a pecan tree over my head while I was putting. Yeah, he fell out somehow. I heard this thud behind me that sounded like a sandbag hitting the ground. When I looked to see what the f, I caught the end of his bounce and the plume of dust the initial hit caused. He landed on his feet after the bounce and scurried off, embarrassed, into another tree. I couldn't believe he was conscious.

Another squirrel several years ago, at that same course, was named "Merlin." He was an albino. He got so much attention that he learned to take pecans out of people's hands. He would come up and greet you sometime during the back 9. Super cool.

Last edited:
Only critters I have run into were a couple of natives hanging on a park bench.....one asked me to tell his "wife" (hot girl in a white dress who was playing a round) that he was on the bench

Stupid thing is I believed him for a second until he started laughing after I took two steps in her direction :doh:

Well it was my first day disc golfing a few days ago... at River Edge Park in PA small 9 hole course. The girlfriend and I were walking to the 9th when i saw what appeared to be a large dog 25 feet in front a double take soon revealed it was a Black Bear Cub (not really a critter) Told my girlfriend in a calm voice to turn around slowly start walking the other way, she was like why and i was like cause there is bear right there she said "OK" tried to get a pic on the cameraphone but didn't work out to well he saw me and turned the other way and walked away. I did the same. Interesting for my first time disc golfing

my buddies 2nd shot went into this "thorny" tree/bush in the fairway.
called him a big baby when he said "that disc can stay right where it is!!!"
i thought he was talking about the thorns until i looked in and saw it from his
"point of view".

Thats it, at that point, I would have just crapped on myself. I hate snakes.:gross:

I hate snakes.:gross:

Sorry, this critter is not "on the course" persey... but I have to show Midnightbiker the new critter I adopted last week...

100_2222.jpg

About 2 weeks ago, I played at Standing Rocks in Stevens Point WI. At one point, a deer must have been spooked by other players because it came over a hill directly at me and when it saw me, it did an incredibly quick 90 degree turn and ran before I could get a pic. But later on, another one stopped and looked at me for a while, and when my flash went off, it calmly walked away.

Attachments

• DSCN6973.jpg
    DSCN6973.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 63
Sorry, this critter is not "on the course" persey... but I have to show Midnightbiker the new critter I adopted last week...

100_2222.jpg

Boa Constrictors I can handle, but anything like a rattlesnake, or other poisonous snakes I run into on the course, I can do with out.

^I miss that guy... I think of him every time I pick up my Stingray

Well, had another encounter of rattler's last night on #8 and #17 out at Manor East Metro. Starting with mine first, on #8 I griplocked the hell out of my River and after the other two threw, I headed down the fairway to retrieve my terrible shot, when I stepped on what I thought a rock or stick, nearly falling as it rolled under my foot, I caught myself and regained my balance while looking back to see what I stumbled on only to see about a 4 foot rattler quickly slithering away with his rattles rattling. Needless to say, it scared the crap out of me, and I wasn't the same again for a good 20 minutes. Hands shaking and heart racing as from all I have heard about rattler's most people are bitten due to stepping on the critter's. My buddy and my brother in law who were out with me, figured the only thing that kept me from getting bit, was the fact the snake rolled under my foot possibly disorienting the snake and not allowing him to strike. If I had loose bowl movements, I would have shat myself. Luckily I survived with no bite.

Now moving along, we get to #17 and my buddy drives and hits what we call the twin trees out in front of the box about 20 or so feet, he and I walk up slowly talking to his disc he picks it up and walks back to align his next shot and as he starts his run up, he hollars oh crap and I look over and about a 5 ft rattler is slithering next to him up to the tree. It just sat there with about a 3-4 inch set of rattles sticking out of the high grass around the trees. I threw a rock into there to try to scare him on his way, but he only slowy coiled up next to the tree. Needless to say, my buddy took a little snake relief on his 2nd shot.

I went to Big Eau Plaine Park in Mosinee, WI last weekend and the deer there are insane! I have seriously never seen anything like it outside of a zoo. We pulled up into the parking lot and there were literally 5 deer just hanging out. Two laying in the middle of the parking lot and 3 more within sight that were on the outskirts of the parking lot eating grass or trees. On the course was the same way. There was at least one or two deer visible on every other whole. My daughter almost hit one that was walking in front of one of the baskets, and its not like she was bombing from a few hundred feet away. She is 8 and she throws about 50-60 feet on average.

Unfortunately, the mosquitoes were also beyond crazy. We planned on playing 18, but failed to bring mosquito dope, so we ended up playing only the front 9 and and the last couple of those we basically ran through.

I went to Big Eau Plaine Park in Mosinee, WI last weekend and the deer there are insane! I have seriously never seen anything like it outside of a zoo. We pulled up into the parking lot and there were literally 5 deer just hanging out. Two laying in the middle of the parking lot and 3 more within sight that were on the outskirts of the parking lot eating grass or trees. On the course was the same way. There was at least one or two deer visible on every other whole. My daughter almost hit one that was walking in front of one of the baskets, and its not like she was bombing from a few hundred feet away. She is 8 and she throws about 50-60 feet on average.

Unfortunately, the mosquitoes were also beyond crazy. We planned on playing 18, but failed to bring mosquito dope, so we ended up playing only the front 9 and and the last couple of those we basically ran through.

It's almost like a petting zoo there. I've had to "shoo" them away from the tee pads so I could play there.

Local resident at Casitas.

Attachments

• tarantula.jpg
    tarantula.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 112

Latest posts