• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Black squirrels, grey squirrels, bald eagles, ducks, Canadian geese, turtles, whitetail deer, a fox (once in a while), red tailed hawks, and frogs are the creatures I've seen this summer on the various courses I've played.

I also encountered a rattler at Cedar Hill-Beaver on hole 3, down in the woods to the left. That course is on a poisonous snake preserve.

Beaver and Coyote are both really awesome courses, but who the heck came up with the idea, "Hey, why don't we put a disc golf course on a poisonous snake preserve?" Maybe someone who deosn't like disc golfers?

Also, a strange encounter with a dog, (just remembered). A friend and I were at Tower Ridge course #1, and just finished hole #14. As we rounded the corner approaching #15 tee box, we see a large white dog slowly walking down #15's fairway, towards us. Not knowing the origin of the dog, my friend decided to grab a beer bottle out of the trash, in case he charged. I selected 2 of my heaviest discs and watched the dog slowly move towards us, trying to figure out if it was friendly or not. The dog stopped about 75' from us, and sat down staring at us. We were talking to him, still trying to gauge his friendliness. He started to look behind him (up the fairway), and then back at us, repeatedly. I felt like he was telling us to follow him, so I slowly walked his way. My friend, still being very nervous, stayed standing by the tee box. As I approached the dog, he started walking towards #15's basket, constantly alternating looking from me to a point further up the fairway. He went up over the small hill in the fairway (about 200' feet from where he was sitting), and sat on the very edge of the right side of the fairway and gazed into the woods and then back at me. At this point, I got goose bumps, thinking the worst about what he was leading me to. I wondered if there would be a injured person, a dead body, or any number of other possibilities. I cautiosly worked my way into the woods off the fairway, ready for anything. I didn't hear, smell, or see anything strange in the 10 minutes I scouted the area. When I decided to give up and return to the fairway, the dog was no where to be seen. I returned to my friend still standing in the same spot armed with the beer bottle. He asked what I found, and when I told him nothing he didn't believe me. We then teed off and as I walked by the zone I searched I still had a wierd feeling something was there. I walked into the woods, searched again, and found a 168g pro beast stuck in a tree about 10' from the ground. To this day, I don't believe that is what he was trying to show me, but have been through that zone of woods several times since and have never found anything suspicious or foreign. I'm relieved it wasn't as bad as my mind prepared me for, still strange non the less!

Played a beautiful 9 hole in Tuttle, Oklahoma today. The cows thought we were pretty funny looking.
picture.php

I had a drive one time land near a fawn. I did not realize it until I came about 10 feet away from the doe and she was not too happy. I drive scaring the deer off but that did not work. I circled around but the doe stayed between myself and the fawn. I eventually just left my disc and went back the next day. Never mess around when a mom is trying to protect her child.

I had a drive one time land near a fawn. I did not realize it until I came about 10 feet away from the doe and she was not too happy. I drive scaring the deer off but that did not work. I circled around but the doe stayed between myself and the fawn. I eventually just left my disc and went back the next day. Never mess around when a mom is trying to protect her child.

Perhaps the third time I ever played was at Roscoe Ewing in Medina, OH. On one of the holes you throw across a little road, to a field, and then across a little creek.

In the field this doe was happily eating grass. She wouldn't move, and she was just short of where we were planning to lay up.

Eventually I threw my disc, it sailed over her head by five feet or so, and when it landed she looked at it and walked over to it. My friend said "great, she's gonna steal your disc." She walked right up to it, sniffed it for a few seconds, and casually wandered into the nearby trees.

I suspect she's awfully used to people. :)

Wish I had a camera.

The wife and I were close to finishing our 2nd round of the day. Were sitting at a picnic table taking a smoke break when out of the woods bounded a young whitetail buck. He stopped dead and stared at us. He was about 100 feet away. All 3 of us were doing the stare down when I said calmly, "C'mon buddy. Its ok. C'mon, you can do it." As though he heard and understood he came right at us. :eek: The buck bounded gracefully towards us until he hit the break in the trees turned sharp to the right and kept on trucking. You could see he was moving quickly but not in fear, just haste. It was very cool.

First of all, the thread isn't titled "Rare" Critters on the course you ran into. :p I just thought that it was cool so I posted it.

But to answer your question... Yes. Around here, (WV near Cumberland, MD) they are. We have dozens of grey squirrels around my house. We used to have red squirrels, too. I'm 45, and have lived in the woods my entire life, but I don't remember ever seeing a black squirrel until I saw this one in Winchester, VA.

It's cool man, I guess I was just a little surprised because they are so common here in Ontario, I probably see like at least 10 a day just in my little back yard every day.

It's cool man, I guess I was just a little surprised because they are so common here in Ontario, I probably see like at least 10 a day just in my little back yard every day.

They sneak across the border in Niagara Falls. :p

Customs, INS, Border Patrol and even the Coast Guard has their hands full with these illegal aliens!

During a round at Horseshoe Canyon Ranch yesterday, one of the horses moseyed on over and said hello. Nice and close.

Tulsa%2520Trip%2520029.jpg

Squirrels everywhere at my home course and the occasional house cat that wanders over then follows you for 5 holes. They especially enjoy laying on the tee pad wanting to play

i seen an albino squirrel at black bear a couple weeks ago bastard was bright white with bright red eyes coolest squirrel ive ever seen. i wanted to keep it

Never forget the bald eagle at arborateum in canton ohio.glided right over our heads on hole 4 you could hear his wings cutting through the air......bad ass

Found Rocky at hole 5 Clay, N.Y.

Attachments

• Rocky Racoon.jpg
    Rocky Racoon.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Rocky 2.jpg
    Rocky 2.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited: