• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

The raccoon couldn't leave because he was having too much fun scaring me. (How do you tell a rabid raccoon from a startled and angry one? The answer is, don't get bit so you don't have too.) So the face-off continued.

I was always taught that if you're seeing him in broad daylight, there's a good chance something's not right with him. That goes for most nocturnal animals. Granted, there's definitely exceptions.....but....better safe than sorry.

Side story.....I used to run into a local at our pitch n putt that had a rescued raccoon as a pet. It'd ride around in his backpack. It was pretty awesome. I was scared outta my britches the first time I met him. We had crossed paths and he asked me if I wanted to join him. Like 4 holes later, walking down the fairway BSing nonchalantly, this raccoon pops his head up. I was like oh hey there, wtf.....

I was always taught that if you're seeing him in broad daylight, there's a good chance something's not right with him. That goes for most nocturnal animals. Granted, there's definitely exceptions.....but....better safe than sorry.

Side story.....I used to run into a local at our pitch n putt that had a rescued raccoon as a pet. It'd ride around in his backpack. It was pretty awesome. I was scared outta my britches the first time I met him. We had crossed paths and he asked me if I wanted to join him. Like 4 holes later, walking down the fairway BSing nonchalantly, this raccoon pops his head up. I was like oh hey there, wtf.....

My recent raccoon encounter was about 7:30, along a wooded creek. It took my brain about a tenth of a second to think, "Raccoon....daylight....rabies!!!!" But it wasn't exactly broad daylight, so perhaps I'd just met an early riser.

Side story....I'm the oldest in a large family, and after I'd left home my family had a raccoon for a pet for a year. Then it moved out to the woods and became semi-wild. But it loved my brother who was about 12 at the time, and when he'd come home from school the critter would ambush him, jumping him as he walked under some tree branches.

Last year, I was playing a short par 3 and I noticed a bunch of geese gathered to the left of the basket as I threw my tee shot. There were a bunch of teenagers sitting on a blanket to the right of the fairway, about halfway to the basket. The geese seemed a little unsettled as I putted out, so I was kind of ready, with my floppy G-Star Aviar in hand. One suddenly came at me fast, head low, in the attack posture. I reached down and rang his bell with that soft Aviar, and he reconsidered. Why didn't I run? 1. Geese are fast, and 2. I assumed those teenagers all had phones, and I had no intention of becoming the viral video of a 250 lb man being chased by a goose. One of my life goals is to never become a GIF........

kinda blurry, but this guy had a big ol' web right over my lie; i chased him off & destroyed his web so i could take a stance. afterwards, i was wondering if this would have been a chance to take a dangerous animal relief... not that backwards on the l.o.p. into the bush would have been any better
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20210809_091632.jpg
    20210809_091632.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 283
kinda blurry, but this guy had a big ol' web right over my lie; i chased him off & destroyed his web so i could take a stance. afterwards, i was wondering if this would have been a chance to take a dangerous animal relief... not that backwards on the l.o.p. into the bush would have been any better
attachment.php

GaH!

predator-jungle-hunter.gif

No pictures but I tried to play Casper this evening and the mosquitoes were thick. I'm talking like gulf coast of Texas/Louisiana thick. It was crazy.

I literally gave up after three holes because it was so bad. I looked like I murdered someone there was so much blood on my arms and legs from swatting them.

Added some deet to my bag in case I run into a similar situation going forward.

No picture but it is unusual. I practice in my woodlot throwing up and down a woods road that has a steep bank on the left (going up). A deer stood on the crest at about 120 feet and watched as I threw discs. She didn't leave until I started up to gather discs. When I got to within 60 feet or so and she just calmly walked away.

I looked like I murdered someone there was so much blood on my arms and legs from swatting them.

" Hello, police? I just saw a man man emerge from the woods, covered in blood.

...and he wasn't walking like he was the one injured.

Just thought you might wanna look into that.

Description? Yeah, I got a pretty decent look at him..."

Saw white tail deer and turkey families at Highbridge this past weekend. Unfortunately I couldn't get any decent pics.

I missed playing with my normal group the other day (because I chose to play a different course with my wife and son) but they ran into this critter. This was not a mountain course. Kind of a rare sight in the city.

d6952776abe54485fcc7791f534c84c6.jpg

moose be bagging courses out Ray's way...

Last edited:
Double posted when I thought I was editing...:eek:

Last edited:
Sorry I don't have a picture, but my son was lining up a putt from the rough at Holly Recreation Area in the MJ-12 division at the Michigan State Juniors tourney last weekend and found his Disc about a foot away from a 2 to 3' long garter snake actually eating a frog right there! Everybody on the card and their parents flocked over to witness this. Nature plays for keeps, doesn't it?

attachment.php

That ain't a dangerous critter, but you might be able to convince your card otherwise.

Cool! Thanks. My entomology was learned word of mouth on the trout stream and came down to if it's got two tails it's a stone, three it's a mayfly. A quick lay name for all southern may/stonefly in the color of yellow.... yellow sally and search your flybox accordingly. [emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts