• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Crowley Tourney and the drama that followed.

Roc1Time

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So the Crowley tourney was this last weekend and i habe heard a crazy story about a player playing in open masters that blew up. I have heard ths from about 5 people and all of the stories match up so I am wondering was anyone there, does anyone know the real story and if so WTF?
The story I have heard was that this open master missed a tap in, got mad and picked his putter up. He then went to the next hole and did not hole out. I was told that that means automatic DQ, is that true? He told guys on his card that it didnt matter he wasnt coming back on Sunday. Well he did com back on Sunday and ended up cashing for 150 bucks or something like that. The TD paid the other people because this guys was DQ'ed. As of yesterday the PDGA overturned the TD's ruling. Now the people I heard this story from said it was cause this guy is a sponsor and because it was a gimmie. I would like to hear the whole story because if the PDGA did overturn the DQ, why, and if so why are there rules if we dont have to follow them.

DQ is left to td's discretion- rule says "may" be subject to dq, otherwise 2 stroke penalty.

Actually 803.13 says:

A. A player who fails to play any hole or fails to hole out on any hole during the round may be disqualified, at the discretion of the director, using the following guidelines:
(1) Holes missed due to late arrival may be scored and penalized according to section 804.02.
(2) Inadvertently failing to hole out (as determined by a majority of the group or an official) shall result in 2 penalty throws being added to the number of throws plus penalty throws already taken on the hole. The hole shall then be considered completed.
(3) Intentionally failing to hole out (emergency, injury, plane flight, etc.) constitutes withdrawal from competition. The player shall be withdrawn from competition and officially listed as "Did Not Finish" on the scorecard and in the event results.

So if he said f*** it and walked away then #3 comes into play and he should have had a DNF on his card. Not a DQ but no money either.

As far as letting it go, he's concerned and wants to find out the truth about it. What's wrong with that?

Let it GO!!!! I was on the card!!!There is no need to start a thread on this!!If you are that concerned then contact the PDGA.
if were talkin right under the basket id let it go and if i was that guy i would ask all the people on the card if it was ok if they counted his tap in , but tap ins also arent legit in disc golf so its really up to the people on the card if they dont wanna let it go and hes really at their mercy .

Ive missed a tap in on a tag round before because i didnt look up i just tried to set it in as it was a bird right under the basket, the thing was it was totally within his rights to do so but it was still a douch move and i let him know that and said something like if thats the only way you can beat me go ahead its kinda petty but thats fine .

sounds fishy...rules are kinda vague once again...isnt there a rule where you get 4 strokes plus par if you dont finish a hole?...now here it says 2 strokes...

and if so why are there rules if we dont have to follow them.

Honestly, I wonder why we have such specificially written rules, but monitor the following of them like its street ball and the other players have to call it.
Maybe I'm wrong as I've only been in one sanctioned tournament but it seems laughable to have such strict rules of play but nobody to call us on it but each other. Even when I played rec league hockey there was a ref. I suppose the problem is having enough people to follow each card and monitor.

sounds fishy...rules are kinda vague once again...isnt there a rule where you get 4 strokes plus par if you dont finish a hole?...now here it says 2 strokes...

No.

The 4-stroke rule (par plus 4) you're referencing only applies to being late and missing holes at the start of the round. Doesn't apply to leaving early or skipping holes or failing to complete a hole.

so here's another rule i can use to my advantage..let's say there's a tough par 5 and i "quit" after 2 shots...that means i get a 4?...sounds pretty lame..but as i have said before, the rule book is whacked and you can bend several rules to your advantage

If you can manage to do it inadvertantly, yes. I suggest you do so after your first throw.

If it's intentional, no. You're disqualified.

I'm not sure how you do it inadvertantly.

Check out the well-quoted rule a few post back.

He should have been DQ'ed after his temper tantrum on Sat. Poor sportsmanship should not be rewarded.

There is no way for us to know what happened there. It's weird that it was Mitch Mac, and it's weird that the TD first posted that he DQed him, then went back and edited it. Trying to guess what those things mean and what really happened isn't really going to solve anything. It is what it is.

"Interpretation of the rules" is always interesting. I umpired college women's tennis matches for 5 years, and what two coaches at the same match "interpreted" was unbelievable.

Latest posts