• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Current Bags for a DIY Golf Backpack

Anyone still using the Magellan Bonner III? How do you like them? How are they holding up? I was in Academy the other day and they had a ton of them. They also had a ton of other backpacks out. I need to spend some quality time looking at backpacks....anyway...Bonner III review anyone?

I'd be curious too. I never got around to buying one. I'm currently working with No Excuses to build a new bag model so I've been ignoring the DIY market. Shame on me.

I'd be curious too. I never got around to buying one. I'm currently working with No Excuses to build a new bag model so I've been ignoring the DIY market. Shame on me.

No need to give out any details, but out of curiosity what kind of price is he running on custom bags? I know it must depend on the size/intricacy, but in general?
I emailed him a long while ago about doing a custom bag, but then I converted my first DIY bag. Then got the Lat Pro bag.
I'd love to design a bag from the ground up.

No need to give out any details, but out of curiosity what kind of price is he running on custom bags? I know it must depend on the size/intricacy, but in general?
I emailed him a long while ago about doing a custom bag, but then I converted my first DIY bag. Then got the Lat Pro bag.
I'd love to design a bag from the ground up.

Well, I won't get into prices specifically because it's not my place. If you just want one of the bag models he already has, you get to pick two colors and that's right around the same price as a Grip/Mahal. Anything you want done to it starts adding. Although not as much as you might think. You wouldn't skyrocket a bag up to $500 just because you want some things added on.

The thing is, I've built a dozen or so DIY bags. Every one has been fun. But I haven't kept a single one except my mini-sling that's only used for carrying less than 10 discs. I've also had a Grip, a Contender, a Dual Pack, and have had trial runs with almost every other backpack out there. They're all good bags. Don't get me wrong. But I never utilized them to the exact potential they were designed for. They just didn't fit my needs all the way. And I think a lot of disc golfers feel the same way.

I eventually got tired of paying top dollar for using 80% of a backpack. I don't ever use two drink holders. I don't carry a lot of extra stuff. I don't carry a stool. These are all features that I'm sure work great for some people but not others. So that's why I started making DIY bags. Honestly, why pay $200 for 80% of a bag that I use when I can build a backpack that's 70% of a solid backpack for $70? Because as much as I love making DIY bags, I have no illusions that they are at the same level as the backpacks made specifically for disc golf.

And finally I said screw it. I started thinking about exactly what I want. And I started talking to David at No Excuses about it. He was pretty excited about making the bag. It's not a huge departure from what he offers now. Just a new way of making it that orients things to a different set of needs. He decided to name the new model the Game Changer after he and I started talking about my 8-Bit Disc Golf foray.

It's not going to be a big deal. There won't be a big pre-order push or hundreds going out the door. It's a small operation and they build as they get orders. There's a wait, there's design time, and there's a lot of communication back and forth. So it's not for everyone. Most people will see the backpack that's closest to what they want and click "BUY." And that's fine. But once my backpack is finished and he works the design out, he said anyone who likes the way my bag is set up can order the Game Changer and he'll build it for them.

I'm pretty excited about it. I'm looking forward to owning a backpack that's uniquely mine and being able to brag about it. Even if it costs a touch more. I've saved enough money buying and selling DIY bags that I decided I earned it, lol.

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! While reading your post, I was noddng the whole time! Good luck on this, and let everyone know when there is a product for preorder!

The philosophy of this bag speaks to my soul!

Level up, 8bit! All my base are belong to you!

Here's how I turned a regular backpack more to disc golf bag. You can use any backpack that has two main pockets.http://imageshack.us/v_images.php
heresthe pics.

So, first of when you open up the front pocket, you wanna cut the pocket how you can access the bigger pocket from there and put your discs in from there. (Hope you guys got it!):) Then I made a frame out of two drum sticks that i put to the sides of the bag so it stands. The last thing i did was the piece of fabric that i sewed to the remaining flap of the front pocket and also to the back of the backpack. Hope you can see it from the pics!

Here's how I turned a regular backpack more to disc golf bag. You can use any backpack that has two main pockets.http://imageshack.us/v_images.php
heresthe pics.

So, first of when you open up the front pocket, you wanna cut the pocket how you can access the bigger pocket from there and put your discs in from there. (Hope you guys got it!):) Then I made a frame out of two drum sticks that i put to the sides of the bag so it stands. The last thing i did was the piece of fabric that i sewed to the remaining flap of the front pocket and also to the back of the backpack. Hope you can see it from the pics!

needs a login to see the pictures.

Well while i await my new contender i experimented with my Swiss gear bag and this is the result
2 putters tucked behind the main section of discs.
8 drivers
4 mids
2 more putters. Gonna try this set up as i want to switch to a more minimalist set up and have more faith in my game

Absolutely no modifying. This is a very rare sight to see a good looking natural backpack without mods such as pvc

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 123
This is probably one of the cheapest DIY bags ever but I am still pretty new so this will keep me happy for a while yet. I simply took an old, Elementary school backpack of my sons from a couple years ago and cut out the fabric between the front pocket and the main compartment and put in a frame, then put a couple pieces of pegboard that I had on top of the frame. I put in the center upright because I only have 5 discs at the moment and they kept falling over. It should hold 12 - 14 discs in its current configuration and since I didn't glue the frame I could remove the center upright for a couple more discs in the future. It could use a bottle holder but for now it works great and I look forward to my next DIY bag.

PVC cost = $13
Bag already owned
Pegboard already owned

^^ Nice job. The first bag I carried around (cause I've never had an "official" DG bag) was something like that, a small jansport pack. Worked great, but throwing in a frame is a great idea. Wish I would of thought of that back then.

I assume you just throw a water bottle in the top compartment, but zipping/unzipping all the time might get annoying. You could get a camelbak/other brand water reservoir for <$20 that holds 1-2 liters and have the hose popping out through the top and zipped up tightly. And then just pull the hose out and put it back in easily.
Just a thought, since I love having all my water/ice stay in the shade all day, resulting in colder water for longer.

Actually I have a short, fat water bottle that fits perfectly on the side with no discs and usually keep a towel and/or sweatshirt in the top.

Pretty sure this is my next DIY

This bag has everything you would need. A cleat compartment that hopefully is large enough to put a pvc frame just like the Cablea's Angler Pack. In the main compartment it could hold another row of discs. Along the back of the bag it has pockets built in for gloves which could easily hold allot more discs similar to the Big Hyzer Ergo bag. It even has a top compartment the closely resembles the putter pocket on a Grip EQ Bag. The side compartments that where intended to hold bats would defiantly hold some sort of water bottles. I am planning on purchasing this bag and modifying asap. Pics soon to come!

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3997555&ab=ACLN1_Baseball_BagsBatpacks&ppp=47&cp=4406646.4413887.4414035.4414014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTHa6GAvJzI

Magellan BonnerIII or however you say it.

Has anyone been able to add a putter pocket on the top compartment of the magellan (by the handle) like in the first picture that someone posted that they would try to copy. That will pretty much make or break my decision on getting one.

Also, how much would a typical pvc frame cost to make if all i needed to buy was the pvc pipe and connectors?

Has anyone been able to add a putter pocket on the top compartment of the magellan (by the handle) like in the first picture that someone posted that they would try to copy. That will pretty much make or break my decision on getting one.

Also, how much would a typical pvc frame cost to make if all i needed to buy was the pvc pipe and connectors?

In the big back pocket behind the handle there is a smaller zipper pocket against the front wall. A putter (Super Puppy) can squeeze into it. I am going to make the opening wider by just cutting past the zipper ends. The pocket is a little too deep as well, you can put the whole putter in and zip the main pocket. It's an easy fix, just sew a new bottom to make the pocket more shallow. So basically about 10-15 mins of work gives you a putter quiver. I plan to do it this weekend. I'll post pics when complete.
This bag is very versatile, Im planning soke more mods as well. I'll either update this thread or start a Bonner thread.

I picked up a Vietnam Field pack/butt bag at an antique store that I am going to try and modify. Came with nice backpack straps as well. It has a huge inner pocket that I bet I could fit with some accordion dividers to keep the discs situated nicely.

M67pack.jpg

M67packg.jpg

Im still using the Magellan backpack. has worked out very well. Only issue ive had is a rip in the mesh where my water bottle is, but its no big deal and still functions great. Gotta wash it though, I play a lot and its not pretty, lol. Little funky

Does anyone know of a way to purchase a Magellan Bonner iii other than at Academy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.