• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

De-nied! Last-minute overhaul of my course design!

Luke@DiscTrips

Bogey Member
So I just wanted to vent for a minute and get a little sympathy from anyone who's worked on a new course...

I worked at a college in Minnesota (my alma mater) for a couple years, and I just left last spring and moved to Boston. We had 18 holes on campus, made up of two separate 9s, and a new science center was built on top of one of the 9s so I volunteered to design a new course on the other side of campus, near the athletics practice fields.

I invested serious time over the course of about 9 months on its precise layout, giving tours to the campus facilities chiefs and working with a local high schooler who was going to construct the course as his Eagle Scout project. Everyone dragged their feet for a while, but things were on track to plant the course in early October. I even flew out there 3 weeks ago to see family, and walked & marked up the course one final time with the Scout and his dad.

BUT.... Literally days before they were going to plant the tees & pins, some cranky coaches spoke up and got them to COMPLETELY REDESIGN the course, without the help of any DG expertise, cramming 9 holes into the space that I had used for the FIRST 3 HOLES! Grrrrrrrr. And it's already in the ground, and I live 1,400 miles away, so there's really nothing I can do.

ARGH!

Do they allow beer on campus where the courses are (or were to be)? I doubt it... and that would probably keep me away too!:D

At least you are 1400 miles away and dont have to look at... If you like to be involved, try volunteering for a local course/club.

Well, forget them Luke...

Let's have you to focus on making two or three courses around Boston area. I grew up in Boston (Watertown) before I moved to Rochester, NY couple years ago. I do still love Boston. Its in my blood.

I visit my parent couple times per year and noticed that the nearest courses were about 30 to 45 min. away. *sigh* :rolleyes:

Hoping for something closer...like less than 15 min or so. I see some possible course locations in the Belmont area nearby three different hospitals. Check this LINK for my location ideas. Only need to get that town on board to fund and maintain the course, you think?

Maybe we could meet up someday to talk about the possible course locations there when I'm in town for visit. Possibility during Christmas break...

Good luck! :cool:

Thanks for the note, DDG... Yes, I would LOVE to plant a course or two here in Boston. And you know the best part about your suggested Belmont locations? They're about 3 minutes from my house! THAT would be awesome, and is definitely something I will start looking into. Great idea! I just moved here six months ago, so I really don't know all the little parks here and there yet.

Here's some good news on the Boston front, though... One of our DGCR companions, "justin" from Somerville, is in the late stages of getting a 9-hole planted in Burlington! That is SOOO much closer than any other course! I've walked the layout with him, and it looks like it'll turn out great. I think they may even be installing the pins this fall... keep an eye on news on that front.

And as a little epilogue to my sad course design story, it turns out that the course they threw together actually looks pretty decent. It actually uses the space of my holes 1 through 5, and gets pretty creative with the space. So, I'm not as bummed as I was at first. See my layout map vs. the new layout map at this thread:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938

Be in touch.