• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dealing with rude people on the course

My suggestion is, if you come up with a way to quell bad behavior in teenagers, forget the disc golf. Patent it, copyright it, author a book, and buy your own course with the proceeds, where you can resume the disc golf and never deal with this kind of thing again.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if this a lame attempt of humor. I was asking for friendly advice on how to deal with these situations, but you make it seem like I'm a self-absorbed jerk.

Find their parents and teach them to play disc golf. If you can get Mom & Dad on the course, the teens will never be seen within 2 miles of it again.

Well one of the dad's made them all leave. Guess you missed that part.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if this a lame attempt of humor. I was asking for friendly advice on how to deal with these situations, but you make it seem like I'm a self-absorbed jerk.

Based on your reaction, naive would be the more appropriate word.

People are who they are - self-absorbed jerks, courteous, polite, disrespectful, etc. - and they're going to be that way regardless of where they are - on a disc golf course, in the car, at work, at the movies, in a restaurant, in jail, etc.

Would the world be a better place if everyone cared about their fellow man? Absolutely. But until that point, you've got to accept people's foibles.

Based on your reaction, naive would be the more appropriate word.

People are who they are - self-absorbed jerks, courteous, polite, disrespectful, etc. - and they're going to be that way regardless of where they are - on a disc golf course, in the car, at work, at the movies, in a restaurant, in jail, etc.

Would the world be a better place if everyone cared about their fellow man? Absolutely. But until that point, you've got to accept people's foibles.

I disagree with you on the naive part, unfortunatley it's hard to read sarcasm. Perhaps you could invent a font for that since you sound so smart?

Sorry, it was an attempt at humor. I'll leave it to the jury to rule on the lameness.

Nothing derogatory toward you, nor any sarcasm; it was intended as a commiseration with the misery of dealing with poorly-behaved teenager.

I don't believe he was going for anything other than to tell you that there is no way to get teenagers to act with respect and courtesy. Basically he was just saying you have no choice but to move on and let them be idiots. I don't think he was trying to insult you in any way. I didn't take that from his reply.

I don't believe he was going for anything other than to tell you that there is no way to get teenagers to act with respect and courtesy. Basically he was just saying you have no choice but to move on and let them be idiots. I don't think he was trying to insult you in any way. I didn't take that from his reply.

Pretty much. And that it's been like this since the beginning of time. If you spend a lot of time with them you'll find that the best-raised, best-behaved teens make you want to hit them with a board occasionally, but no more than 71 times a day, and the worst are far worse. We were all like that.

Sean525, you did pretty much all you can do. Rude noob adults or teens, there's something to be said for pointing out etiquette. Maybe they'll adopt it; maybe they won't. After that, there's not much you can do except get on with your life.

Well one of the dad's made them all leave. Guess you missed that part.

I disagree with you on the naive part, unfortunatley it's hard to read sarcasm. Perhaps you could invent a font for that since you sound so smart?
There are no shortage of legitimate jerk teenagers in the world. There are also no shortage of people who insole themselves from that reality and think that others are going to be raised with the same behavior standards that they were, then get all bent out of shape when they encounter people who don't. Neither behavior does much for the betterment of humanity.

And if you're going to flip out on people on here who don't take your story as gospel and give you a consolatory pat on the head for something they've seen all too often themselves, well, its going to paint the impression that you're one of the latter. Don't be that guy. There's worse stuff to get angry about.

I agree with many people on this thread in terms of teaching children etiquette, rules of the game and humility at an early age. I learned that as a 6 year old playing traditional golf as a junior golfer. Thankfully I was also raised by a family that set the expectation of being humble, have self awareness and have thick skin instead of reacting to negative people. I have only lashed out once at a media person that wrote a scathing article about a family member of mine back in 1993 and the support my family received was surprising from not only the media outlet but many others. Humility, thick skin, being positive and having fun and having a sense of humor goes a long way in life.

After reading the OP's reaction to harmless internet responses, I'm left to wonder how he reacts to real world obnoxious kids.

Fair point

Sorry, it was an attempt at humor. I'll leave it to the jury to rule on the lameness.

Nothing derogatory toward you, nor any sarcasm; it was intended as a commiseration with the misery of dealing with poorly-behaved teenager.

Forgive me for my reaction, it was a little strong. I've dealt with interesting characters before on a course, I've never had a petulant kid to tell me to go **** myself, so it was just exasperating to me (not you the kid).

No harm done. Not the first time I've tried to be clever, and been misunderstood. Probably not the last.

I could have written, Yeah, that sucks, not much more you could do than you did. Teens can be a real pain in the ***, can't they? I sometimes write to entertain myself, and this was one of the times I figured I'd say the same thing in a more amusing way. More amusing, at least, to myself.

What are your options if you are in a PDGA event and someone in your group is talking **** and trying to mess with the other players? Just flat out rude attitude, trying to call people on bull**** penalties and generally antagonizing the entire card?

What are your options if you are in a PDGA event and someone in your group is talking **** and trying to mess with the other players? Just flat out rude attitude, trying to call people on bull**** penalties and generally antagonizing the entire card?

Start with telling him to STFU. Then...

Call him for courtesy violations (talking crap, intentionally messing with players, calling violations where there are none, etc are all arguably distracting)...
Rules of Play 801.04
C. Players should take care not to produce any auditory or visual distractions while other players are throwing. Distracting actions include: shouting, cursing, freestyling, striking course equipment, throwing out of turn, throwing or kicking golf bags, throwing minis, and advancing on the fairway beyond the away player. Shouting at an appropriate time to warn someone in danger of being struck by a disc is not a courtesy violation.
G. A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any affected player, even if from another group, or by an official. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of any type in the same round. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may result in disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual.

Report him to the TD for further discipline...
Competition Manual 3.3
A. The PDGA adopts a strict policy of appropriate behavior during events, as well as appropriate comments to the media. Any conduct deemed to be unprofessional is subject to disqualification by the Tournament Director, and may also be subject to further disciplinary actions from the PDGA.

B. Players are expected to behave in a professional and sportsmanlike manner while participating in a PDGA sanctioned event. Actions that are in violation of this conduct include but are not limited to:
3. Overt rudeness to anyone present...

All else fails, wait for him in the parking lot after the tournament.
Happy-Gilmore.jpg

Kidding on the last one, of course.

There are no shortage of legitimate jerk teenagers in the world. There are also no shortage of people who insole themselves from that reality and think that others are going to be raised with the same behavior standards that they were, then get all bent out of shape when they encounter people who don't. Neither behavior does much for the betterment of humanity.

And if you're going to flip out on people on here who don't take your story as gospel and give you a consolatory pat on the head for something they've seen all too often themselves, well, its going to paint the impression that you're one of the latter. Don't be that guy. There's worse stuff to get angry about.

My suggestion is, if you come up with a way to quell bad behavior in teenagers, forget the disc golf. Patent it, copyright it, author a book, and buy your own course with the proceeds, where you can resume the disc golf and never deal with this kind of thing again.

Great answers. I just don't think it can be stopped.

The biggest problem is that the majority of Dg courses are public. Just because we have some unwritten rules about flow of play doesn't mean they have to be followed. If someone wants to play the course backwards, what can you really say/do to stop them? It's metal objects in a public park, just because we like to throw to them in order doesn't mean it's illegal not to.

I do hate it though. The only way to fix it is p2p.

OP - I'm quite familiar with Firefighter's, which happens to be a course that is:

a) Extremely popular, and gets a ton of traffic. Since there's low chance of disc loss and little penalty for bad shots, a higher percentage of FF's traffic comes from less skilled players, whom often don't care about course ettiquette.
b) Quite compact and easy to jump around on with little regard for order of holes are played in.

These two make your plight pretty common.

PDGA rules regarding pace of play are wonderful... for tourney play. During a casual round, people tend do their own thing. For every five or so groups that are considerate, you get one that's a pain to deal with.

Your chances of coming across such a group at FF are much greater than Stony, for example. Cass Benton and Wagner seem to attract a lot of DB's as well. For some reason, Starr-Jaycee doesn't get the traffic (or the DB's) that Wagner does, even though it's only about a mile from it.

Some people are DB's. Nothing you can do about it. All you can control is how you handle it.

i handle it by making it a point to play busier courses at less busy times, this avoiding the crowds, with the fortunate side effect that most people playing off-peak hours are reasonably serious about the game and more likely to follow etiquette.

FWIW - FF hosts league play Mon and Wed evenings. Pretty sure Wagner does Thu eve's.
I wouldn't plan on casual rounds then... pace of play will surely frustrate you.

Hope you find that usefull.

Last edited: