• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Vocab List - Fun or Catchy Terms

We use Star Frame if everyone on the team strikes in the same frame in bowling.

And that's the extent of my knowledge there.

Yep, star frame is a bowling term. Bowling teams are typically 5 people, 5 points of a star. A peeve of mine is the term "star birdie," it is redundant, like saying grand slam home run.

we use "frolf punk" for anyone putting with a driver - that dirty f word

Just cool to see a post started 7 years ago and the people on page 1 not posting anymore, and the last page looking like the regular threads now :)

treesus = tree love
treelzebub = devil tree

It's a very religious game.

Yeah, it appears to come from bowling - I don't know bowling. Turkey is a bowling term too I guess. Anyhow, my instinct was right, "par frame" definitely makes sense whereas "star par" does not. I'm trademarking "par frame"TM. If anyone says it you have to send me a dime.

Around here, star is a term meaning "Everyone got a ... on this hole". The "star xxxx" term may have come from bowling, but it does not belong to bowling.

Words and phrases grow and evolve. Some people's use of words will expand our language, while others cling to the previously accepted definitions as the only correct way. This is no different.

Around here, star is a term meaning "Everyone got a ... on this hole". The "star xxxx" term may have come from bowling, but it does not belong to bowling.

Words and phrases grow and evolve. Some people's use of words will expand our language, while others cling to the previously accepted definitions as the only correct way. This is no different.

Some deep and profound thinking there. What are you even saying? "star xxxx" didn't start in bowling, specifically "star frame" did. When people say "star frame" it is definitely a nod to bowling. When else do you hear someone say "frame" in disc golf? It's not uncommon for one sport to lend lingo from another.
You and your friends can say "star xxxx" to your hearts desire and have it mean whatever you please, good sir. It doesn't change where the term "star frame" originated from, which is what we were discussing.

You must be a lot of fun at parties.

Disc golf scorecards have frames just like bowling. "Par frame" plays off the same idea of everyone on the card in the same frame having the same score as is expressed in "star frame." "Star par" is a nonsensical derivative; it's also perfectly fine, and doesn't bother me at all if anyone says it.

I'll often say "Nailed it!" after making a putt from 10' or closer. That's my optimal range these days =P

Another classic!

Happy 10th Birthday DGCR!

"Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead!"
"I'm not dead yet."

#282. Another classic thread; started by the illustrious Donovan

There is also a summary list (with even more terms) at DG Resources (under Files).

We coined a new one last year. Our buddy Kenny got covered with the little green burrs that don't really hurt anything but are a pain to get off. He ran back to the car to change.

Now whenever we get the little burrs we call them "Kennys".... "Hey don't go into those woods, you'll get covered with Kennys."

Kenny is not amused.

We coined a new one last year. Our buddy Kenny got covered with the little green burrs that don't really hurt anything but are a pain to get off. He ran back to the car to change.

Now whenever we get the little burrs we call them "Kennys".... "Hey don't go into those woods, you'll get covered with Kennys."

Kenny is not amused.

Lol, I have a brother in law.......Kenny. Kind of a noob, with a solid noob hyzer backhand and forehand. Hence, he is often off the fairway. Playing at a generally wet course after a good rain one day, Kenny took to standing on dry spots in the fairway, directing the rest of us, as to wear he thinks he threw his disc into the woods. The rest of us in waterproof boots and good socks, quickly tired of looking for his disc and more pointedly, Kenny's supervision. Kenny complained that he did not want to get his tennis shoes and white socks wet. One of my buddies got pissed and started calling him Johnny Cotton Socks. The name has stuck.

Again.....Kenny is not amused.

In my group a Kenny is a tester putt, as in it's in the Danger Zone.

On that note, a parked drive is a Johnny Utah, as in Park City.

Apparently we're all about multi-step pop culture references..

Latest posts