• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Vocab List - Fun or Catchy Terms

Rim job - when what looks like a good putt hits off the rim of the basket. I also sometimes uses this for a putt that goes in without hitting chains.

Tree hate - when you hit a tree and get a bad kick.

Tree love - when you hit a tree and improve your shot.

:thmbup: to makin' minis, that's pretty good! I'm trying to think of more fun lingo we use but I'm drawing a blank... I'll have to come back and post when I think of something goofy

I have refined these terms to be more specific.

If your disc gets slapped down by a limb- treejection
hits last tree before green or first tree of tee- treenied
hits tree and goes toward (or into) basket- treebound
letting noob re-throw a tree shot- treedo

Tree related

From the list stored at DG Resources:
• Treebound-when your disc hits a tree and deflects in the direction of (or into) the basket/ fairway
• Treedirected- redirected by a tree
• Treedo- letting a player re-throw a tree shot; disc golf mulligan (must hit a tree to use one)
• Treeflection - the tree gives good kick
• Treejected- When your disc hits a tree and the trajectory changes to "right into the ground" and fast
• Treejectory - when your redirected by the branch
• Treemendous - when your errant shot finds wood and bounces in an auspicious way
• Treenied- when your disc hits a tree and drops; or when you are aiming for that tight little gap but hit the tree instead
• "That wasn't there last time I played this hole" and "Was that there when I teed off?"- said when hitting some long time obvious obstacle like a tree off the tee.
• "That would've been in if it wasn't for that tree." Especially appropriate when the tree is 10 feet from the tee box.

From the list stored at DG Resources:
• Treebound-when your disc hits a tree and deflects in the direction of (or into) the basket/ fairway
• Treedirected- redirected by a tree
• Treedo- letting a player re-throw a tree shot; disc golf mulligan (must hit a tree to use one)
• Treeflection - the tree gives good kick
• Treejected- When your disc hits a tree and the trajectory changes to "right into the ground" and fast
• Treejectory - when your redirected by the branch
• Treemendous - when your errant shot finds wood and bounces in an auspicious way
• Treenied- when your disc hits a tree and drops; or when you are aiming for that tight little gap but hit the tree instead
• "That wasn't there last time I played this hole" and "Was that there when I teed off?"- said when hitting some long time obvious obstacle like a tree off the tee.
• "That would've been in if it wasn't for that tree." Especially appropriate when the tree is 10 feet from the tee box.

These are horrible terms and I could only really being used by people on a grandmasters card.

I wonder how far back in this thread I saw

Blowgie - when you blow your birdie putt and fail to save par for the 3-putt bogey. I unfortunately use this a lot after I'm pretty sure picking it up somewhere in this thread when I was brand new around these parts.

Some we came up with on our own-ish.
Jedi Mind Trick - when you talk to the disc and it seems to do what you are suggesting.

Looking for Easter Eggs. - c'mon walking around the long grass trying to find hidden round brightly colored objects

When someone hits a lot of trees in the round I always tell them they better "pray to treesus" to help them out.

I wonder how far back in this thread I saw

Blowgie - when you blow your birdie putt and fail to save par for the 3-putt bogey. I unfortunately use this a lot after I'm pretty sure picking it up somewhere in this thread when I was brand new around these parts.
Blowgie... that's a new one. I like it! Added to my personal list.

When someone hits a lot of trees in the round I always tell them they better "pray to treesus" to help them out.

I often do "treesus be praised" when they get a good tree kick.

Around here, star is a term meaning "Everyone got a ... on this hole". The "star xxxx" term may have come from bowling, but it does not belong to bowling.

Words and phrases grow and evolve. Some people's use of words will expand our language, while others cling to the previously accepted definitions as the only correct way. This is no different.

Star (asterisk) is a computer wildcard for 'everything'. If I were looking for a file, but did not know the extension, I would search for 'DiscGolfFile.*'

Note: I'm not saying it didn't come from bowling. Or computers. Or anywhere.

This thread needs new life...

Pulling a Lizzote line.
Sorry if this was done already.

Ricky Putt, aka: Long putt outside circle, not putting with a jump and putt often a high back leg kick/push.

Bass Ackwards, the term people In South Dakota called the Berry Schultz/Dave Feldburg throw.

Last edited:
I think the term getting "Ullied" has some legs to it.
OK, I'll bite, so what does "getting Ullied" mean?
(and what does my ignorance of this slang tell you about me?)

OK, I'll bite, so what does "getting Ullied" mean?
(and what does my ignorance of this slang tell you about me?)

Check out some recent Jomez Pro videos to get an idea.

In short, they brought in Paul Ulibarri a few times for an interview or just to talk. They ended up showing him some rounds where he played terrible and light-heartedly made fun of him. It made for some good laughs.

Then the term "get Ulied" came around, which can mean anything from getting unlucky on a shot or having a nightmare round, or to be given an interview where you end up having to talk about how horribly you played.

Yep, star frame is a bowling term. Bowling teams are typically 5 people, 5 points of a star. A peeve of mine is the term "star birdie," it is redundant, like saying grand slam home run.

Hitting a home run scores less than 4 runs. A Grand Slam is when the bases are loaded and 4 runs are scored. It has a valid and more nuanced meaning.

Yes, necro post, I know

Last edited:
Yep, star frame is a bowling term. Bowling teams are typically 5 people, 5 points of a star. A peeve of mine is the term "star birdie," it is redundant, like saying grand slam home run.

I always thought that 'Star Birdie' came from the computer world, where the asterisk is a wildcard in a string of text.

Birdie implies a birdie.
Star birdie implies everyone on the card birdied.
∴ Star birdie is only redundant when playing solo.

But yeah, when you say grand slam, it doesn't need to be followed up with home run.

Hitting a home run scores less than 4 runs. A Grand Slam is when the bases are loaded and 4 runs are scored. It has a valid and more nuanced meaning.

they are distinct but using both at once is absolutely redundant

you don't call a square a "square rectangle"