• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2018 Discraft Ledgestone Insurance Open

Well yeah. She wants to same courses as MPO plays, but she wants to play them in the FPO division. For a long time, that's exactly what happened at most high level events. I'll go out on a limb and say that up until a couple years ago, Worlds was about the only big event where FPO *might* play a different course or set of courses than MPO. Now, while completely separate courses like Ledgestone did are still somewhat out of the ordinary, at least most NT/DGPT events are using some shorter tees to make the MPO courses more FPO friendly.

I agree. IIRC at this year's Memorial, Val Jenkins was commentating, and mentioned how much she liked the shorter tees on some holes because it enables the women "to score." The (IMO) better argument I've heard is that MPO par 3 & 4 holes often are too long for (most of) FPO players to birdie, and so they become boring pars -- and if the fundamental rule of entertainment is not to be boring, those holes need to be shorter.

Ironically enough I have been working today on a somewhat shorter layout at Hawk Hollow to better suit the bulk of the FPO division. We are hosting USWDGC 2019 and I want to be able to test the stuff this fall.

Since the Ledgestone FPO courses are beneath her high standards, I expect next year to see her in the MPO field and experiencing the joy of playing three rounds of challenging golf- and leaving with nothing in her bank account.

If Michael Johansen or Paul McBeth had written something similar about the MPO side of things, you would have a much more sympathetic response.

I think you have biased view, and it comes out in your posts on DGCR.

I think you make big assumptions and it comes out in your posts on DGCR.

It's just a stark contrast when Sexton takes the dubya in MPO with his consistent placement shot style. If he had said the same thing...hey I won...but it felt boring because I just play to land inbounds the whole time and I never feel challenged...it wouldn't have caused the same backlash (still some, to be sure). I understand why people got triggered by her post - because she lost and it looks like she's whining. People can't separate her performance with her personal opinion. If she laces the long bombs without going OB, sinks the multiple eagle looks and walks away with it...she could STILL have the same feeling about the course.

Sexton still has people talking about his BRP "Soft" comment, sooo.....

Interesting post on Instagram by Paige Pierce
"Ledgestone. Honestly, I can not say I am ever excited to come to this event. The courses that the FPO division play leave me feeling un challenged and that is not why I travel the world playing professional disc golf. I crave the challenge that you feel when you step on to a tee pad at a championship level course. This did bring to my attention though, something I need to work on to get ready for the 2019 world championships, which will be in Peoria, my short game. On most of the par fours I had a look at eagle while the par threes I was attacking too hard and leaving myself long putts just to save par. There ARE certain holes I need to back off on, so thank you Northwood for the reminder. My question for y'all who are consistently watching tour coverage is would you prefer see the FPO play these harder courses and/or teepads that the men are playing? ———————————
Congrats to @discprincess on your win, your putt looked amazing this weekend. And to @paigebjerkaas it is coming so soon muggsy, I know you feel it too. As always, thank you to my sponsors, the media teams, the spectators, and all the volunteers who braved that Peoria heat all weekend! See y'all at Maple Hill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!📷:
"

Woah, backup people. I don't believe she ever blamed the courses or their difficulty on her loss. She just said that she isn't excited to play them.

Sounds to me like Paige is trying to get FPO to play from the MPO tees, which would favor Paige's longer throwing length and give her an advantage.

This would be not unlike Eagle or Simon saying MPO should play only long, open courses (which gives them an advantage). Obviously MJ and others wouldn't approve...

Nice try, Paige, but the Game yearns for more competition, not less. Hey, I'm bored with the English Opening in chess, but if that's what I'm presented with, that's what I play (and crush). Get out there and kick butt....

This is the perfect opportunity to post this!

Edited video coverage of round one of FPO at Ledgestone is up, on Terry Miller's (The Disc Golf Guy) channel. It features commentary by ME and the current leader of FP40 at Pro Masters Worlds, Kimberly Giannola.

Catrina Allen • Paige Pierce • Hailey King • Paige Bjerkaas, at Northwood Park, round one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXITC_c4TIQ

This is the perfect opportunity to post this!
Edited video coverage of round one of FPO at Ledgestone is up, on Terry Miller's (The Disc Golf Guy) channel. It features commentary by ME and the current leader of FP40 at Pro Masters Worlds, Kimberly Giannola.
Catrina Allen • Paige Pierce • Hailey King • Paige Bjerkaas, at Northwood Park, round one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXITC_c4TIQ

I heard/saw what you did. Excellent work. :thmbup:

Interesting post on Instagram by Paige Pierce

"Ledgestone. Honestly, I can not say I am ever excited to come to this event. The courses that the FPO division play leave me feeling un challenged and that is not why I travel the world playing professional disc golf.......... "

All I read is... "I want to play a course that showcases how truly far I can throw compared to the other FPO players."

It doesn't really make sense that Paige says she feels "un-challenged" yet she has her worst performance/finish of the year. Sounds to me like the course was 'too challenging' for her and she just could figure out how to make the right decisions and throw the correct shots. Saying something like that after a bad finish is only going to be interpreted as being a sore loser, whether she meant for it to sound like that or not. Bad timing on her part. she should have just kept her mouth shut. those comments aren't doing anything good for her.

Hmmm, could it be a Trilogy thing? First McCray and Wysocki, now Pierce... :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I have never been a fan of JohnE, long before he was with Lat. I'm not sure who could be a fan of such a salty character.

As far as Ricky, I like the kid. But he cheats, plain and simple. Him admitting to his faults (no pun intended) would win him back many fans.

I have never been a fan of JohnE, long before he was with Lat. I'm not sure who could be a fan of such a salty character.

As far as Ricky, I like the kid. But he cheats, plain and simple. Him admitting to his faults (no pun intended) would win him back many fans.

I think if Wysocki just acted like he respects the rules, it would help him greatly. He's tremendously talented, he just needs to respect the game and the rules.

As to JohnE, I got nothin' for him... :thmbdown:

For years I have been told, "max distance is not just for sheer distance. if you can hit 500ft you can also hit longer hyzer lines, or disc down and get holes with midranges/putters more predictably that other people are having to throw drivers/midranges on" Doesn't apparently apply with PP?

For years I have been told, "max distance is not just for sheer distance. if you can hit 500ft you can also hit longer hyzer lines, or disc down and get holes with midranges/putters more predictably that other people are having to throw drivers/midranges on" Doesn't apparently apply with PP?

This is just a guess on my part, but I think that axiom holds true if one does a lot of throwing with mids and putters to hone those skills. If you're used to playing a lot of courses that are on the long side, where you're consistently throwing drivers off every tee, you're not getting a lot of practice throwing mids and/or putters off the tee.

I think since the norm has long been putting FPO on the same course as MPO, a lot of FPO players develop good control of their drivers but don't get a ton of use out of their mids...at least not in the sense of trying to max out a mid. Throwing a Roc or Buzzz or equivalent on a 150-200 foot approach isn't quite the same as throwing off the tee of a 200-250 foot hole.

Basically what I'm saying is while Paige has the distance that should allow her to throw slower discs, she may not be as confident/comfortable doing it.