• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGWT cancelled?

I'd think this very thread would be evidence of the PDGA's wisdom in not ceding the NT to an outside entity.

At least, not yet.

I'll give it to the PDGA, one of the smartest things they do is let things play out. They take their time, keep things vague and don't over react. I think I remember a quote from someone involved in the tour schedule saying these new tours need to show sustainability and growth before they address just handing the NT over.

In my opinion, the biggest problem is the premise itself: that disc golf can be a major spectator sport.

At least, at this time.

The only people who will watch it are disc golfers. This is why having a disc manufacturer exclusive tour hurts. Legacy and Discraft won't tell their fans to go watch a World Tour event but they damn well sure will share links to the DGPT. This is why you see Steve do a lot of side games and festivals as well, to draw the town into the event and get more eyes. You have to attach yourself to the communities.

I'll give it to the PDGA, one of the smartest things they do is let things play out. They take their time, keep things vague and don't over react. I think I remember a quote from someone involved in the tour schedule saying these new tours need to show sustainability and growth before they address just handing the NT over.

I saw the same suggestion made 2 years ago, when these tours were launching.

Eventually, if one becomes established and successful enough, the PDGA might cede the NT or just close it down, but that's down the road a bit.

The only people who will watch it are disc golfers. This is why having a disc manufacturer exclusive tour hurts. Legacy and Discraft won't tell their fans to go watch a World Tour event but they damn well sure will share links to the DGPT. This is why you see Steve do a lot of side games and festivals as well, to draw the town into the event and get more eyes. You have to attach yourself to the communities.

I think the DGWT's goal was to get beyond just disc golfers, to a broader audience. All the talk about the viewership numbers on Finnish TV, and all that.

I think the DGWT's goal was to get beyond just disc golfers, to a broader audience. All the talk about the viewership numbers on Finnish TV, and all that.

So why not focus on Finnish TV and Europe where a greater percentage will watch it? American sports and entertainment schedules are well established. We have Baseball, Football, Basketball, MMA, and Motor Sports that will over ride everything. I'd venture a guess that European TV schedules are easier to get into.

So why not focus on Finnish TV and Europe where a greater percentage will watch it? American sports and entertainment schedules are well established. We have Baseball, Football, Basketball, MMA, and Motor Sports that will over ride everything. I'd venture a guess that European TV schedules are easier to get into.

Yep, especially considering there's men's and women's of all those.

Really? You think Euros just watch football (soccer) and are waiting for something else? Fyi, in addition to other sports, Euros also have indoor plumbing.

The only people who are going to watch are disc golfers-I'm confident that's the case.

So, if we assume that the only audience for disc golf is going to be disc golfers, that puts a serious ceiling on marketing growth.

I was fairly indifferent to the DGWT, and saw at as a Discnovia marketing platform more than a meaningful tour. The DGPT format I enjoy, and want to see succeed to whatever extent is possible. To do that, and to not wind up like the DGWT, I think the PDGA is going to need to start being more supportive.

Will they, or do they even have any desire to? From my vantage point, I think they and Innova would like it to fade away, unfortunately. The PDGA is a bureaucracy, and I have yet to see the bureaucracy that wants to see it's power and influence possibly decline. And Innova? A control freak of a company that thinks it's above everyone else.

Really? You think Euros just watch football (soccer) and are waiting for something else? Fyi, in addition to other sports, Euros also have indoor plumbing.

That isn't meant to be offense. Feel free to fill me in on what sports/entertainment are the focus of Europe. I am in my American vacuum over here drinking red bulls and rocking flat bill hats. :)

But really, I am curious to know. America is fed a steady diet of every other major sport from the time we are born. We have multiple billion dollar sports that are mainly USA based(again not a dig). Anything disc/Frisbee related is normally picked up in/post college out of boredom.

Last edited:
Fixed that for you. This is the image they want to portray. It is why they are vague/passive about a lot of things.

I'm aware of what it is. I'm using the term bureaucracy in it's more general sense, and I think it applies. I would be surprised if they had responded differently, to be honest, but I'm saying that the DGPT is going to need help, so some decisions are going to have to be made sooner rather than later if it to have a chance to succeed. That's my view of it as observant outsider.

The only people who are going to watch are disc golfers-I'm confident that's the case.
Just considering the fact there were plenty of kids watching and hunting for autographs at European Open indicates otherwise. Our active community influences this but no one is born with a disc in their hand. The sport is in the recreational mainstream here, aiming to become part of our school education.

Just considering the fact there were plenty of kids watching and hunting for autographs at European Open indicates otherwise. Our active community influences this but no one is born with a disc in their hand. The sport is in the recreational mainstream here, aiming to become part of our school education.

That's good to hear. I wish it were the case in the US.

I'm aware of what it is. I'm using the term bureaucracy in it's more general sense, and I think it applies. I would be surprised if they had responded differently, to be honest, but I'm saying that the DGPT is going to need help, so some decisions are going to have to be made sooner rather than later if it to have a chance to succeed. That's my view of it as observant outsider.

Sorry that was meant to be pretty tongue in cheek. As in I agree the PDGA needs to stop hiding behind for a lot of things.

I think they and Innova would like it to fade away, unfortunately. The PDGA is a bureaucracy, and I have yet to see the bureaucracy that wants to see it's power and influence possibly decline. And Innova? A control freak of a company that thinks it's above everyone else.

If that's the case why did Innova support the DGPT last year? They were also mostly responsible for Jomez being at all the events after Utah Open. Their actions, and my interactions with them (all positive) don't jive with your theory. They're the original, and the biggest so they seem to get a lot of undeserved hate. Makes me a little miffed they get so much hate while doing so much for disc golf.

That isn't meant to be offense. Feel free to fill me in on what sports/entertainment are the focus of Europe. I am in my American vacuum over here drinking red bulls and rocking flat bill hats. :)

But really, I am curious to know. America is fed a steady diet of every other major sport from the time we are born. We have multiple billion dollar sports that are mainly USA based(again not a dig). Anything disc/Frisbee related is normally picked up in/post college out of boredom.

First of all zj, that red bull your drinking ain't American, it comes from Austria (that little country between Italy and Germany). But your on the right track in thinking that the sports market in Europe is more permeable than here, because it is. There are many sports we consider "niche" here that have grown into prime time televised events in Europe over the last half century, from downhill mountain biking, water polo to badminton, even cricket is huge. If David can make an argument that cricket is more of a spectator sport than DG id like to hear it.

Last edited:
If that's the case why did Innova support the DGPT last year? They were also mostly responsible for Jomez being at all the events after Utah Open. Their actions, and my interactions with them (all positive) don't jive with your theory. They're the original, and the biggest so they seem to get a lot of undeserved hate. Makes me a little miffed they get so much hate while doing so much for disc golf.

Careful bro, people don't like the truth if it's not a sexy scandal pitting manufacturers against each other. Don't you know that all of the big disc golf companies are spending time plotting against each other while rubbing their hands together mischievously from behind a trench coat?

Oh rats, now I've wasted time I could be plotting against CCDG!

I think Innova saw an attractive advertising opportunity and took advantage of it. Sponsoring Jomez and having their guys do the commentary was very smart and effective, IMO. And I don't "hate" Innova. They are the dominant company in the business and they can throw their weight around in a way other companies can't-it's to be expected.

But I think they'd much rather it be a Spin TV deal like the Las Vegas tournament will be with non-stop Innova promotion in your face. The DGPT evens the playing field, and that is not to their advantage. Of course you and JT are nothing but objective about all this, right Ian?;)

Latest posts