• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Disc brands you dislike

Disc brands you dislike

• Innova

Votes: 42 13.6%
  • Discraft

Votes: 33 10.7%
  • Discmania

Votes: 28 9.1%
  • Dynamic

Votes: 58 18.8%
  • Lat 64

Votes: 45 14.6%
  • Westside

Votes: 46 14.9%
  • Vibram

Votes: 90 29.1%
  • Legacy

• MVP

Votes: 74 23.9%
  • Prodigy

Votes: 131 42.4%
  • Daredevil

• Gateway

Votes: 48 15.5%
  • Millennium

Votes: 19 6.1%
  • DGA

Votes: 25 8.1%
  • Element Disc

Votes: 23 7.4%
  • Reptilian Disc Golf

Votes: 24 7.8%
  • Lightning

Votes: 46 14.9%
  • Prodiscus

Votes: 24 7.8%
  • Aerobie

Votes: 87 28.2%
  • Axiom

Votes: 53 17.2%
  • Kastaplast

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Ozone

Votes: 18 5.8%
  • Yikun

Votes: 56 18.1%
  • RPM Discs

Votes: 19 6.1%

• Total voters
Well, based on the results of this poll, I think we can now say:

Millenium Discs, least hated by disc golfers everywhere.

I dislike prodigy's naming system for both the plastic types and the discs.

I also don't like innova because that's all that they sell around here. Even the PIAS here has an entire wall of innova and only a single rack of discraft and then maybe 2 dynamic misprints(2 discs, not 2 racks).

None of MVP's molds clicked with me but they have the best hats. Other than that, I'm always open to trying new molds and would never shun an entire brand.

As I've progressed toward being an intermediate level player and thrown a lot of different molds, I will say that Innova's inconsistency is a pain in the ass. To take a random example, just look at the San Marino vs. Rancho vs. Ontario Rhynos. How am I supposed to tell what I'm ordering when I shop online? Also I've thrown Wraiths that are flippier than Mambas and Roadrunners that are beefier than Destroyers. Really frustrating.

That said, I'll probably always bag Terns, Thunderbirds, Banshees, Leopard3's, Rhynos and Pigs. They've got some of the best molds out there. I prefer Trilogy mids though.

I will say, the lack of consistency in the US distribution has been a big turn off over time.
Its tough to get things on a regular basis, and shops that do have them have like 6 total discs at times.

Kastaplast is now distributed by Discs Unlimited as of this week so things are a lot better.
Just got awesome customer service and ordered a bunch of discs!

Everyone has mentioned molds they dislike or "fanboy behavior" as reasons to dislike this brand or that. Does anybody dislike a company for things like a poor customer service experience, or deceptive advertising practices, or how sponsored pro players are treated, etc.? Those seem like the sorts of things that might actually engender antipathy, not whether or not you personally prefer to use one company's products over another's.

There are quite a few disc golf companies whose discs I have never tried, and a few whose discs I have tried and don't use. But I'm certainly glad they all exist! If you can't be outside chucking discs, then arguing about all of the available choices seems like the next best thing.

I'll never understand all the dislike for prodigy.

Kastaplast is now distributed by Discs Unlimited as of this week so things are a lot better.

I got pretty excited reading this, as I've been looking to try some Kastaplast out, but I really hate websites that ask you to list your top color choices when ordering instead of having a real inventory of what they have. If you call/email them, are they pretty good about letting you know if what you're looking for is in stock?

Their disc naming scheme never sat well for people.

Never did understand why. At a glance the names actually tell you a lot about the mold.

PA for putt and approach, M for mids, F for fairways, D for distance drivers.

1 is the most OS, the higher the number the more understable.

Most companies choose names that give you zero indication as to how a disc should fly.

Prodigy's system is simple and informative. I don't throw them anymore but that's something I felt they did right.

I'll never understand all the dislike for prodigy.

Just came along too late in the game, outside of the hype they got from signing a bunch of pros which one didn't help them because most people on a course have no idea who Paul McBeth or Ken Climo is much less the pros they signed who didn't stick around anyway what have they done? Oh they have a driver that is "like" a Destroyer, or a mid that is "like" a Buzzz? Everything now is just cloning the stuff Innova or Discraft has already done while claiming you have some amazing CE-like plastic that isn't anywhere as durable.

I got pretty excited reading this, as I've been looking to try some Kastaplast out, but I really hate websites that ask you to list your top color choices when ordering instead of having a real inventory of what they have. If you call/email them, are they pretty good about letting you know if what you're looking for is in stock?

I was lazy about it and FB messaged them and they hand picked out everything I wanted!
Even sent me a pic when I asked.
Still better than tracking down a dude that used to (maybe still does?) work for Clearwater and hoping he feels like responding to you, lol.

Last edited:
Never did understand why. At a glance the names actually tell you a lot about the mold.

Most companies choose names that give you zero indication as to how a disc should fly.

Prodigy's system is simple and informative. I don't throw them anymore but that's something I felt they did right.

Math nerd.

You really need to know the company first in order to know this though. Sure, the letters make sense, but just with just about every other company, lower numbers are straighter flying while higher numbers are more overstable.

I think the disc names are ok, but i hate that the plastic names are numbered.

The normal naming convention of 'plastic type - disc type' just sounds silly (400G D4 for example, compared to Star Boss)

Even though i Have a bunch of Harps and I like it a lot, I chose westside because every other disc was Meh. Their distance drivers #'s are all off.....Basically I like ALL makers of discs, but honestly TRILOGY discs drivers are NOT my cup of tea....though the Sheriff seems to be a winner, we'll see.

Even though i Have a bunch of Harps and I like it a lot, I chose westside because every other disc was Meh. Their distance drivers #'s are all off.....Basically I like ALL makers of discs, but honestly TRILOGY discs drivers are NOT my cup of tea....though the Sheriff seems to be a winner, we'll see.

The faster you go, the harder it is to control so it makes sense that a lot of drivers "flop" with the general public. Above speed 9, you find less stable drivers become more popular, unless a noob ends up content with every drive being a hyzer line. Too US and the average player is all over the map. If I were starting up a new company, I'd be making drivers "just like" the Wraith, etc too if I wanted to stay in business.

Just came along too late in the game, outside of the hype they got from signing a bunch of pros which one didn't help them because most people on a course have no idea who Paul McBeth or Ken Climo is much less the pros they signed who didn't stick around anyway what have they done? Oh they have a driver that is "like" a Destroyer, or a mid that is "like" a Buzzz? Everything now is just cloning the stuff Innova or Discraft has already done while claiming you have some amazing CE-like plastic that isn't anywhere as durable.

I agree that their intro marketing choices were not done well at all. I only have experience with their putters and I love them because they are low profile, beadless (except PA3) and the plastics are awesome.

I also agree that a lot of what they're producing (along with all the other newer companies) are Discraft/Innova clones. Just the state of things today.

I voted Trilogy, Prodigy, and MVP. Trilogy's plastics seem to quickly lose their out-of-the-box characteristics which does not work for me as I buy durable plastics so that they will stay similar in how they fly for a long time. Prodigy has all sorts of issues that I'm not going to even start on them. MVP's discs seem to be extremely nose sensitive which ment that my shots were all over the course, though they do make good OH discs. I didn't vote Axiom because for some strange reason I dont have the same problem with their discs as I do with MVP's.

Clearwater dissipating left the door open, I am glad Discs Unlimited stepped up, they will have a new customer in me now.

Latest posts