• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Disc for Wooded Course Driving

Volt. But your choices are good, and all the advice on this thread is great.

I used to use an XL, but it got too flippy for me. Same when I tried the Stalker. Maybe I should have used a different plastic. XL was ESP and Stalker was Elite Z. I can just throw longer and straighter now too, but not 400 feet on flat ground like you can.

I can park these holes with a Buzzz now, so I don't need a longer disc as much, they have some downhill though:

http://delaveagadiscgolf.com/hole-3/
http://delaveagadiscgolf.com/hole-8/

(And yes, mentioning that was the real reason for posting this)

wish I could throw 400ft on flat ground haha. My distance isn't very good, hence searching for a controllable woods disc. Need to be able to hit straight lines, but miss are a tad too slow now that I'm improving little by little. Thanks for the input!

Stalker is always a good choice. Some live by the Leopard. I myself enjoyed using the leopard or river.

You might consider the DD Escape. For me they fly slightly understable but have a tremendous amount of glide and distance. A little less power or snap or nose angle and you can get them to go R-L.

Hi all, I play most of my rounds in the Worcester County area (Leicester's Pyramids and Maple Hill, Worcester's Newton Hill, Barre Falls Dam, Buffumville Dam, etc), so I am searching for the perfect disc for just straight, controllable shots through tight, low ceilings.

I have given the teebird a try, I've used many mid ranges (comet, buzzz, etc), and I've used the Archangel for hyzer-flip to straight shots. What I've been considering is Discraft's fairway drivers for my needs:

My question for you guys is, if you were choosing a disc for 300-400 foot holes through tight tunnels, what would you pick? I know that's a loaded question, so I'll tell you what I've been considering:

Stalker: I hear its a reliable, straight flying disc, like a longer Buzzz. That sounds pretty great to me for this.

XL: Looking at flight charts, this doesn't seem to be the disc for this shot, but many of the Discraft team say it's their go-to disc for woods shots. Anyone an advocate?

Not sure what else Discraft's got for this slot, but let me know! If people have suggestions out of other companies (as I know you all do), throw those down too!

I play a lot of tight wooded courses. I like understable to neutral discs the best. Find a glidey understableish driver, when they power down, they aren't as understable, still glidey, and you get good distance. I'd much rather throw a driver easier vs. having to step on a mid harder. Maybe even look at some lighter discs. Work on stand still drives etc.

I play a lot of tight wooded courses. I like understable to neutral discs the best. Find a glidey understableish driver, when they power down, they aren't as understable, still glidey, and you get good distance. I'd much rather throw a driver easier vs. having to step on a mid harder. Maybe even look at some lighter discs. Work on stand still drives etc.

Having trouble with this bit of advice. I understand the idea for sure. However, when you say driver are you talking a distance driver of higher speed than the stalker, TL, XL that have been in discussion? I have an Avenger SS (said to be understable with pretty good glide as far as the numbers go) in Z plastic, but when it powers down I just get a really really overstable turn. In fact, when I throw it harder (I don't have crazy good distance), it still isn't particularly understable for me. Can you clarify what you mean by finding "glidey understableish drivers?"

Having gotten a hefty taste of woods golf today I can say I wish I brought my Polecat for some SLOOOOOOOW shots.

Throwing stalkers and teebirds 300 feet down a tunnel is sweet if you miss all the trees. Parking a putter 150 feet down that same tunnel will result in an easier upshot and better score for you!

Just mentioned this in another person's thread. The XL is what works best for me. For my throwing style: The Elite Z will hold a nice straight line when given a good rip when thrown almost flat. Throw flat to a slight anhyzer and it will go straight most of it's flight, then start a smooth anhyzer line but nothing drastic. In FLX, the XL is a really fun disc to use. This is what I use for good hyzer rips. Goes a little left and just past halfway it flips and anhyzers the rest of the way. The one I have been meaning to try is the XL is just ESP. This should be inbetween the two for flights, but could be wrong. Best of luck finding what works for you!

Having gotten a hefty taste of woods golf today I can say I wish I brought my Polecat for some SLOOOOOOOW shots.

Throwing stalkers and teebirds 300 feet down a tunnel is sweet if you miss all the trees. Parking a putter 150 feet down that same tunnel will result in an easier upshot and better score for you!

Yeah, when I play a really wooded course, I find myself throwing my Summit a lot.

OP, how far can you throw? I'm thinking Zombee is your best bet for Discraft. My personal choice overall would be Leopard, followed by the Amp.

OP, how far can you throw? I'm thinking Zombee is your best bet for Discraft. My personal choice overall would be Leopard, followed by the Amp.

Hey Sky, I can only throw 300ish feet on flat ground, but feel much more comfortable throwing a speed 7-9 at its normal speed or so as opposed to trying to really rip a mid or a putter. I feel like it allows me to maintain accuracy. I don't know much about the Zombee, what can you tell me?

I typically throw a Stingray or Leopard in the woods. For someone who can throw 400 on a low line, maybe a Roadrunner would make sense to try? In Discraft, I liked the Eclipse for this shot, but I've seen a lot of people using the Zombee lately, and they say it is about the same thing as a Leopard, but IDK for sure.

I throw a Innova Leopard and a Discraft Stalker and Zombee for my Fairway Driver wooded shots.

All 3 cover every type of wooded shot I need and I think they would work good for you as well. :thmbup:

Edit. @Jenb the Zombee is nothing like a Leopard.It's quite different.

Thanks, guys! Guess I'll have to give the Zombee a look. Anyone see a difference with the stalker and zombee? People say the stalker will fly about the same/as far as a buzzz (others say longer), but is the zombee the same story?

The zombees I threw in the ace race were just like my beat Z stalker. (Also why I had four metal hits :) ) In the woods, my fairways work really well. I like my Z predator, Star Eagle X, Volt, Z Stalker, GL River, in order from most to least overstable. The volt gets the lion's share of these drives, due to the great durability and reliable fade at the end of a straight, low flight. Probably the longest of the bunch, too.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys! Guess I'll have to give the Zombee a look. Anyone see a difference with the stalker and zombee? People say the stalker will fly about the same/as far as a buzzz (others say longer), but is the zombee the same story?

The Stalker is much faster and has a the flight of a Beat in Champion/Star Teebird.Whatever line you put it on it will hold the whole way and then finish with a minimal skip. Works better in the wind than you would think. IMO the Stalker does not throw like a Faster Buzzz. I carry a Elite Z and a Titanium.

The Zombee does in fact throw like a Faster Buzz. It has the Same characteristics as a Buzz but is a bit faster and has a bit more glide. One of my favorite discs in the bag. I have the Elite Z.

I know you didn't ask,but I get carried away when talking about discs. I use my Leopard for more understable duties and I carry 4. Champion for Stable,Star for Slightly stable,Pro for Neutral and DX for Flippy understable shots.

Hope this helps. :hfive: