• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf and Youtube

No ads on my laptop or PC because uBlock Origin, but late at night when we watch DG on the bedroom TV with an Amazon Fire, there are so many ads.

Memo to self: build an ultra-cheap media PC with uBlock and a wireless keyboard for the bedroom TV before I go crazy.

When I watch stuff on YT there's usually only a couple of ads that are each 5 to 10 seconds long. Usually sandwiched in the middle of a similarly short disc golf related ad or 2 in a row. So maybe a minute of ads at a time. Probably 3 or 4 times per 30ish minute video. I grew up without cable or satelite TV for the majority of my life, so just finding something, anything to watch was awesome. I guess I just don't get it, I'll keep watching whatever good content anyone puts out. :\

Now that it is cooler weather (and snow on the ground this morning, ugh), I generally wear a hoody all the live long day when in my apartment. Great pockets to keep my smart tv remote on me as I walk about my home & need to punch the enter button to Skip Ad.

It is annoying, though, the rise in the number of ads that need to be skipped nowadays. Certain channels, GK Pro and Jomez come to mind, have an inordinately excessive amount of ads lately. Probably something to do with their popularity?

And I thought I've heard from some YouTube content providers that you don't need to watch the ads for them to receive "credit". Anybody able to confirm or deny?

We are not having the same viewing experience regarding commercials. I have no objections to the short commercials that are played a few times per video. Youtube has two commercials that they've been showing me for months that are 2 and 4 minutes respectively. It is not uncommon for these to pop up 2 or more times during 9 holes of golf. One is for an unneeded drug, and the other for a roof I don't need. I have on rare occasion had my viewing interrupted by infomercials that were longer than my selected video.

No ads on my laptop or PC because uBlock Origin, but late at night when we watch DG on the bedroom TV with an Amazon Fire, there are so many ads.

Memo to self: build an ultra-cheap media PC with uBlock and a wireless keyboard for the bedroom TV before I go crazy.

I might finally get up the energy this winter to try out one of these:
https://pi-hole.net/

I might finally get up the energy this winter to try out one of these:
https://pi-hole.net/

I was about to go down this route, but then I learned the Pi-Hole is helpless to stop YouTube ads. As that was my main beef with YouTube, that scuttled the project for me.

Edit: I have an old HP Pro 3500 desktop laying around that I got from a local city hall for like $6. I stuck a little SSD in it and it boots up in like 4 seconds, perfect for an ad-free YouTube and streaming PC.

Last edited:
I don't believe it is fully YouTube's doing. I see lots of new videos without ad interruptions and I don't have a blocker. I really think it is the YouTuber themselves to blame. I think YouTube gives the option to have or not have ads on your video....if you have ads, you get paid a bit for each ad during your video. I've even seen videos where the ads were placed during clear pausing points in videos.....for example, a disc golf tutorial talks about what is going to happen, an ad happens, then the video shows what they described.

So, because I've seen videos without ads and ones where the ads are placed properly for the flow of the video...I really don't think YouTube is to blame. It just shows me that more video posters are wanting to monetize their videos. Maybe YouTube does add advertisements...but it would be strange they do it for some and not all.

I don't believe it is fully YouTube's doing. I see lots of new videos without ad interruptions and I don't have a blocker. I really think it is the YouTuber themselves to blame. I think YouTube gives the option to have or not have ads on your video....if you have ads, you get paid a bit for each ad during your video. I've even seen videos where the ads were placed during clear pausing points in videos.....for example, a disc golf tutorial talks about what is going to happen, an ad happens, then the video shows what they described.

So, because I've seen videos without ads and ones where the ads are placed properly for the flow of the video...I really don't think YouTube is to blame. It just shows me that more video posters are wanting to monetize their videos. Maybe YouTube does add advertisements...but it would be strange they do it for some and not all.

I can shed a little light on this; you can opt to monetize your channel or not. So if you are trying to make any money on your channel you have to have adds on.

To get there you have to have a certain number of subs/views. There are other things you also unlock by getting more subs and views(live streams/mobile streams/advanced analytics).

On my channel I have around 200 subs and around 100k total views, so I only have desktop livestreams and some analytics. I can't monetize through YouTube at this point.

I think the minimum is 1000 subs, but it could be higher than that since I haven't checked in ages. Gave up on the idea of ever making money off my content a while ago.

So if you see an add on a smaller channel, it's completely YouTube driven. If it's on a channel where media is the persons career, they most likely have it turned on.

I also have heard you can opt to have certain videos that are add free or add minimal but can't verify that.

I put up car stuff for myself. I put things as public, so I can get critiques and so people looking for examples of what they can expect to run at certain venues can search, but I don't promote at all. I think I have 4 subscribers. My longest video has an ad.

Many of my videos over at Gettybfree have ads attached. I've never agreed to that. I think I have 400ish subs and 1.8 million views.

Shameless plug: if you've never been to my channel (Gettybfree) there's all kinds of crusty frisbee stuff including DG to watch. That rabbit hole can run real deep.

I also have heard you can opt to have certain videos that are add free or add minimal but can't verify that.

I can confirm this. One of my favorite channels is an ASMR channel that talks about all kinds of things. He clearly stated that he has turned off ads as it can be very jarring if you are going to sleep listening to him and have turned up the volume to hear him. He only gets revenue from Patreon and such. Now there are ads before the video starts, but those I would guess are Youtubes doing.

Lately I've noticed more really quick ads. Hardly time to grab the remote and the ad is over. Seems like the perfect way to advertise. Not annoying, so they get to put the name of the product out there without bad vibes, and if their product is something I would want I might be inclined to try their brand just because they support the show.

The Channel decides how many ads they want YouTube to run.
Get mad at the channel for having so many ads not you tube.

Latest posts