• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf does not need "golf"

I do wish we could get carts... And a clubhouse.

... And helicopter coverage.

... And Paula Creamer.

I really, REALLY hope this post is a joke. To put a minimum on my playing time and to say that I don't really know sh*t because I haven't been playing at least 5 years is ignorant.

If you read the whole thread you'd understand. I'm sure thrembo or whatever the **** his name is gets it.

Noob is such of a bad term...how about "New Disc"...some new discs fly good right out of the box, some don't...Me Likey calling Noobs "New Disc's"...I am a new disc.

The modern Olympics were started in 1896, so it took only 4 years for golf to be added to the Olympics, not 200.

Table tennis is one of the most widespread and popular sports in the world. It is also an Olympic sport, and based on my experience, it's easier to get tickets to see Olympic track and field events than Olympic table tennis events.

Rugby football, American football, and Australian football are all doing just fine, in spite of their similar name to soccer football.

Softball is based on the rules of baseball, and has no identity crisis I'm aware of.

Ball / Disc Golf Thang

Totally agree we do not need ball golf. I'm running for the PDGA board on the "We're Not Like BG " ticket. Please consider voting for me. You get 4 votes. Here's my statement:

"Our PDGA is doing well. Disc golf's future is bright. We are growing year after year regardless of the recession. However, I feel our organization has been getting a little too "ball-golfy." From my position as senior editor of DiscGolfer, it sometimes seems as if we're trying to emulate ball golf's boring white bread image. Rather, I'd like to see us celebrate, and take advantage of, disc golf's alternative nature.

Instead of ball golf, let's use snowboarding and the X Games as models for attracting the elusive major sponsorship. Marketers are looking for something fresh, different, distinctive, edgy. Let's give them that, not tired old ball golf in a disc golf package. Let's show the world how different we are from ball golf and traditional sports.

I'm concerned that we're*losing our identity as an alternative sport. If elected, I would like the Board to revisit some of our policies on*topics such as support for local DG clubs (the backbone of the PDGA), dress, alcohol and smoking. For example let's consider new ways to strengthen local clubs, relax the dress code and seek out microbrew sponsors. Cheers! — Joe Feidt #362

Thanks, Jumpin' Joe Feidt #362

Totally agree we do not need ball golf. I'm running for the PDGA board on the "We're Not Like BG " ticket. Please consider voting for me. You get 4 votes. Here's my statement:

"Our PDGA is doing well. Disc golf's future is bright. We are growing year after year regardless of the recession. However, I feel our organization has been getting a little too "ball-golfy." From my position as senior editor of DiscGolfer, it sometimes seems as if we're trying to emulate ball golf's boring white bread image. Rather, I'd like to see us celebrate, and take advantage of, disc golf's alternative nature.

Instead of ball golf, let's use snowboarding and the X Games as models for attracting the elusive major sponsorship. Marketers are looking for something fresh, different, distinctive, edgy. Let's give them that, not tired old ball golf in a disc golf package. Let's show the world how different we are from ball golf and traditional sports.

I'm concerned that we're*losing our identity as an alternative sport. If elected, I would like the Board to revisit some of our policies on*topics such as support for local DG clubs (the backbone of the PDGA), dress, alcohol and smoking. For example let's consider new ways to strengthen local clubs, relax the dress code and seek out microbrew sponsors. Cheers! — Joe Feidt #362

Thanks, Jumpin' Joe Feidt #362

I like your ideas. :hfive:

Disc golf is modeled too similarly to ball golf that we can't just ignore it. So what options to we have? Might as well embrace the resemblance. Golf psychology books translate brilliantly to disc golf, and the distractions and skill sets are insanely similar.

^^ sorry, but you wouldn't get my vote, that's not the future.

One of the main reasons I haven't already joined my local dg club is because they have to wear polos. The only polo I own is a Best Buy employee shirt, I hate polos. I have no problem with other people wearing whatever they want but I prefer to wear t-shirts. I've yet to find a polo that offers the ease of movement found in a cheap t-shirt.

what local dg club in raleigh requires a polo?!?!

that's crazy. makes sense for a-tiers, but surprising to hear that on a local level.

I'm with Joe, I'm not anti-ball golf, but I like the idea of bringing more publicity to the sport and for DG creating it's own identity.

One of the main reasons I haven't already joined my local dg club is because they have to wear polos. The only polo I own is a Best Buy employee shirt, I hate polos. I have no problem with other people wearing whatever they want but I prefer to wear t-shirts. I've yet to find a polo that offers the ease of movement found in a cheap t-shirt.
Yeah. That sucks.

Spend a few extra $$$ and get a good polo shirt designed for ball golf. They are made for movement. And there are also polo shirts designed with tennis in mind, these too are made for movement. Also these polos are made from great materials for wicking away moisture and keeping you cool.

Head on down to the local Ross, Stein Mart or Marshals or whatever you got around and find you some of the newer Ball golf shirts, with the new non cotton material. Most of these places have older styles that are on clearence and you can get 3 or 4 for $10-20. Also a lot of your second hand stores will have these!!

1. These shirts are way cooler (temp wise), than most T-shirts
2. When you sweat the shirt holds some of it and then the breeze blows and it's basically like an AC on you!!!
3. They are a lot lighter wet, than most t-shirts

Trust me, they are so much better!!!!

I agree on the materials piece but disagree on a local club requiring a collared shirt. You can get non-collared moisture wicking shirts.

Golf is a sport where the competitor attempts to traverse a set course, with set starting points and ending points, with set types of equipment to be propelled, in the fewest attempts.

Ball golfers use clubs to propel a ball, with a target being a hole in the ground.

Disc golfers use arms (or any other body part, does not have to be arms/hands) to propel a plastic disc, with a target typically being an entrapment device.

Both these sports fall under the "golf" umbrella, but ball golf is typically called just "golf", since it was the only significant type of golf for hundreds of years.

Our sport is a form of golf, so, yes, we do need golf. Now, do we need ball golf? That is another question entirely.

Let's try this again:

For someone who's not even a PDGA member to repeatedly attack anything I say regarding PDGA policy is pretty funny. Having my rebuttle deleted stinks.

I am wholly excited to be playing in the Worlds, and proud as heck to be a PDGA member. The fact that my post agrees with many others here didn't lead me to believe that I would get somebody so riled up.

I'll see <some of> you all at the Worlds. I'll be the guy with the Nicorette juice running down his chin!!:gross:

Well FWIW I did reply earlier but I have a sneaky suspicion a certain mod felt it appropriate to delete my post despite the fact that I defended my accusation (i.e. did not thread drift but rather responded) and additionally refused to continue this flame war (I called it a pissing contest).

So I'll repeat:

I have a PDGA# and I spend more time working for this sport than most people on here spend bitching about it, but I don't do it so that the internet can pat me on the back. I don't post things about me because I don't feel the need to validate myself on here. I'll post my opinions and you can take them or leave them.

If you do ever want to find me though, sniff around people who are pushing this sport in the right direction and you'll meet me soon enough.

I've yet to find a polo that offers the ease of movement found in a cheap t-shirt.

LOL ya don't get out much huh? :p Golf polos are a wonderful thing. They don't even have to be expensive - check out Target they have golf polos for $20 (CG brand). Much cooler and better range of motion than a cheap T.

at the very least they should reverse the names
golf -> ball club
disc golf -> golf

there is a decent reasoning to have the word "golf" in the title. it's played and scored basically the same way.

Latest posts