• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

Hey guys, I was reading the following article on ESPN about esports.

http://espn.go.com/esports/story/_/id/14551519/esports-breaking-mainstream

We always are talking about DG making it "big" with "real sponsors". As I was reading the article, I was very surprised by the following statistic.

"The business of watching gamers play has grown so fast that up to 200 players are making at least $40,000 in prize winnings as professional gamers, according to Tobias Sherman, who heads up WME/IMG's esports operation. And that number is growing. To put the $40,000 in perspective, it's about what the 150th-ranked men's tennis player and 330th-ranked golfer in the world gross a year.

This makes me feel a lot better about DG and the growth we are seeing. Only 330 golfers on the PGA tour are getting 40k in prize winnings a year?!? and 150 tennis players. Granted, the top players earnings in each sport are off the charts, the field of professionals making 40k, a reasonable salary imo for playing the sport you love, is much smaller than I thought.

As others have mentioned, maybe DG doesn't need to be on TV and have sponsors like Nike Puma to be considered a success. I'm excited to be a part of this sport!

I was not aware of how big Video Gaming was until a couple of summers ago when I was working in downtown LA for a few days and could not get a room at any nearby hotel because there was a gaming competition in conjuntion with a software exhibition (during the week) at the Staples Center and all rooms were booked just to watch it and attend the expo. Pasadena was the closest place I could find a room and there were even gaming attendees at the hotel there.

Hey guys, I was reading the following article on ESPN about esports.

http://espn.go.com/esports/story/_/id/14551519/esports-breaking-mainstream

We always are talking about DG making it "big" with "real sponsors". As I was reading the article, I was very surprised by the following statistic.

"The business of watching gamers play has grown so fast that up to 200 players are making at least $40,000 in prize winnings as professional gamers, according to Tobias Sherman, who heads up WME/IMG's esports operation. And that number is growing. To put the $40,000 in perspective, it's about what the 150th-ranked men's tennis player and 330th-ranked golfer in the world gross a year.

This makes me feel a lot better about DG and the growth we are seeing. Only 330 golfers on the PGA tour are getting 40k in prize winnings a year?!? and 150 tennis players. Granted, the top players earnings in each sport are off the charts, the field of professionals making 40k, a reasonable salary imo for playing the sport you love, is much smaller than I thought.

As others have mentioned, maybe DG doesn't need to be on TV and have sponsors like Nike Puma to be considered a success. I'm excited to be a part of this sport!

Maybe I missed your point, but the PGA money leaders list THROUGH yesterday for 2016 shows the leader at $2,350,032. The 123rd best total is $105,060. This is through JANUARY 17. Disc has a long way to go to even get to the level a PGA guy, who is barely on the tour, has made through 3 tournies.

Our most recent blog post: When will DG catch BG?

http://www.discgolfprotour.com/news/disc-golf-bigger-than-ball-golf-in-five-or-ten-years

7187560.jpg

I was not aware of how big Video Gaming was until a couple of summers ago when I was working in downtown LA for a few days and could not get a room at any nearby hotel because there was a gaming competition in conjuntion with a software exhibition (during the week) at the Staples Center and all rooms were booked just to watch it and attend the expo. Pasadena was the closest place I could find a room and there were even gaming attendees at the hotel there.

There are far more gamers in the world than disc golfers. And the ability curve to play at a competitive level is far lower in gaming than disc golf and every other sport.

There are far more gamers in the world than disc golfers. And the ability curve to play at a competitive level is far lower in gaming than disc golf and every other sport.

Here we go...
Because throwing frisbees is so hard

Here we go...
Because throwing frisbees is so hard

Compared to gaming at the elite levels of both 'sports' yes. Not only in the physical and mental requirements but also mainly in accessibility. And that last comment goes for any sport compared to gaming.

The biggest difference in dg and many other competitive sports is many disc golfers refuse to spend money and many Ams complain when they pay $50 for a tournament and do not get at least $50 in a players pack plus an am payout. The rooms during the gaming convention in downtown LA were at least $250/night and I am sure the tickets to the event were significant not to mention what meals and drinks cost.

The biggest difference in dg and many other competitive sports is many disc golfers refuse to spend money and many Ams complain when they pay $50 for a tournament and do not get at least $50 in a players pack plus an am payout. The rooms during the gaming convention in downtown LA were at least $250/night and I am sure the tickets to the event were significant not to mention what meals and drinks cost.

Where does this faux opinion come from?
The small minority of competitive dgers online? PDGA can't even get a majority percentage of their members to respond to ballots and surveys last I checked. The voice of the community is by no means represented in any forum.
Am worlds has shown no signs of slowing down.

There are a huge variety of opinions on how am payout should operate but even with the descenters claiming it's a big problem has there been any slowing down of the tournament scene?
Then you also have to consider who is running and driving the sport, the youth that supports it or the old hat that created it. Gamers took over their own empire quickly and that's why you've seen such ridiculous growth.. Imo DG suffers mostly from the old hat stuck in their old ways.

Hey Now!
I'm looking for event details for each tournament from those with experience. Thanks in advance for your help.

What's the best airport to fly into?
Whats the best hotel option?
How's the camping at VO and SC? Is there camping at the other events?
Any local considerations for that time of year (bugs, weather extremes, must see/eat/drink...)?

Please share anything else about the events that might be of interest.

Hey Now!
I'm looking for event details for each tournament from those with experience. Thanks in advance for your help.

What's the best airport to fly into?
Whats the best hotel option?
How's the camping at VO and SC? Is there camping at the other events?
Any local considerations for that time of year (bugs, weather extremes, must see/eat/drink...)?

Please share anything else about the events that might be of interest.

-Camping at VO is primitive. They make sure to provide access to outdoor solar showers.

-I believe that SC had (free?) camping on the beach, next to the host hotel (name escapes me). Not sure on all the specifics there. I'm sure there are other camping options near by. Your best bet here would be to contact Jim Van Laanen.

Is there anything on either event website about camping?

Last year at silver cup the lake was so high that there was no beach to camp on. That's usually not the case however.

2015 Dream Finals: Vote for a chance to win a Pro Tour shirt!

Let's take a trip down fantasy memory lane. Based on the Pro Tour Points structure and the 2015 finishes from Pro Tour events, the top eight players are listed below. These eight advance to the Semifinals.

​Ricky Wysocki
Nate Doss
Cale Leiviska
Paul McBeth
JohnE McCray
Steve Brinster
Cam Colglazier
Cam Todd

Note: Simon Lizotte, for the purposes of this blog, was in Europe and unable to attend our fantasy finals.

After the exciting quarterfinal round (which was replicated with expectations and a few die rolls), the 9-16 spots are filled with Johansen, Koling, Sexton, Ulibarri, Locastro, Feldberg, Schusterick, and Rico, making our four semi-final match-ups:

Card 1: Wysocki, Todd, Johansen, Rico
Card 2: Doss, Colglazier, Koling, Schusterick
Card 3: Leiviska, Brinster, Sexton, Feldberg
Card 4: McBeth, McCray, Ulibarri, Locastro

Now, to advance to the Tour Finals, a player must either win their card or win the wildcard spot. The player with the most votes advances. We will only count the first vote from each email and/or IP address. Here is the voting schedule, January 25-31

Card 4: Monday: 9:00 PM EST - Tuesday 8:30 PM EST
Card 3: Tuesday: 9:00 PM EST - Wednesday 8:30 PM EST
Card 2: Wednesday: 9:00 PM EST - Thursday 8:30 PM EST
Card 1: Thursday: 9:00 PM EST - Friday 8:30 PM EST
Finals: Friday: 9:00 PM EST - Sunday: 8:30 PM EST

i don't understand the need for the wildcard spot. win and you are in is so much cleaner and there is nothing gained by having a fivesome rather than a foursome in the finals.

i don't understand the need for the wildcard spot. win and you are in is so much cleaner and there is nothing gained by having a fivesome rather than a foursome in the finals.

Personally, I think the wildcard spot is smart. I think it would be unfair to a player if they shot the second best score overall, only to not get a spot because Paul McBeth or Ricky Wysocki shot the hot round and was on their card.

Personally, I think the wildcard spot is smart. I think it would be unfair to a player if they shot the second best score overall, only to not get a spot because Paul McBeth or Ricky Wysocki shot the hot round and was on their card.

Specially if your score would have beaten the top score on another card.

is that any less fair than the guy who shoots the third best score not getting in? either do winner gets in or do best 4 scores. with "winner gets in" announced long beforehand the players know the deal- win or go home.

Latest posts