• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Putting with Dan Beato (Video)

Most of the best coaches in any sport were not champions themselves. The only problem I have ever had with the fundamentals that Blake preaches is my inability to understand his concepts. This most likely is because I learn much more via hands on experience. This is why your videos are so great!

On another note so no one is confused. People give Blake sh!t because he can tell you anything thats going wrong in your technique and he can fix anything but cannot do it himself.

Sorry about the thread drift, but Dan makes an excellent point here. I remember picking up a disc for the first time in July of '06 and throwing nose-up sky hyzers that were maxing out at 175 feet. Now I'm a mid 980's rated golfer (whatever that's worth) and am improving all the time. I threw my first two 1000+ rated rounds in the last tourney I played. Virtually everything I learned about distance (now my strong suit), accuracy, putting (pitch it!), rollers, overhands, etc... came from this website, and I encourage every player I meet to check it out. Blake does a great job analyzing and dissecting the throw (the technique repair section is great for any player to troubleshoot their throw)
He also recognizes that although people throw differently (much like ball golfers swing differently), certain universal truths apply, such as:

Disc close to body=snap
Weight forward
Disc fading backwards=nose up
Arm stopping=disc ejecting during putt
Too many more to list

These general guidelines allow players to tweak THEIR OWN throws to allow these things to happen.

I am a bent arm thrower. I have tried to straight pull, but it doesn't work for me. My bent arm style has organically developed and I have had success with it. My body seems to intuitively move that way. If I had stumbled upon another person who absolutely insisted that I was throwing incorrectly, I probably would have been driven from the game due to frustration.

When you finish the putt it looks like you're about to shake someone's hand, not fully extended. It's that an accurate assumption of how the elbow and hand should during and after the putt?

Bandito,

There is one magical concept I was hoping to hear, but didn't. "Finger spring".

Blake is holding out on you. :p

It will cure your wobblies. :wink:

bortimus said:
Sorry about the thread drift, but Dan makes an excellent point here. I remember picking up a disc for the first time in July of '06 and throwing nose-up sky hyzers that were maxing out at 175 feet. Now I'm a mid 980's rated golfer (whatever that's worth) and am improving all the time.

damn, you will beat me on the course easily! my rating is 944 but going down and down because i will not be a PDGA member this year. I do not score well for some reason unknown and i have been playing since 04'-05' range. so you will be the next up and coming great player while i'll be stuck in advanced.
sunspot said:
When you finish the putt it looks like you're about to shake someone's hand, not fully extended.

yes!

Is the wrist supposed to be as open as MB shows in the video? And are there any pros that utilize the short hand putting?

bortimus said:
Quote:
On another note so no one is confused. People give Blake sh!t because he can tell you anything thats going wrong in your technique and he can fix anything but cannot do it himself.

Same can be said for some of the BEST coaches in sports. Blake, u rock!

disc_golfing_fool said:
Dan,
The flutter in some of your putts is quite apparent.

What causes flutter?

no finger spring + that is not really how i putt i just wanted to show people what it looks like somewhat with the best of my crappy putting abilities.

Autiger said:
Is the wrist supposed to be as open as MB shows in the video? And are there any pros that utilize the short hand putting?

wrist open yes!

short arm putters:
Chris "Critter" Meyer, Minnesota
Timmy Gill, Minnesota
Cam Todd, somewhere in the Carolina's
Shawn Sinclair, Bowling Green, KY
Barry Shultz, WI
Barry and Shawn both release before they fully extend which makes it considered a short arm putting style.

those are all i know of

Walter Haney had a weird little putting style (saw it on MSDG 04) what would you call it?

Does that guy still golf?

Beetard said:
Walter Haney had a weird little putting style (saw it on MSDG 04) what would you call it?

Does that guy still golf?

I don't really know Walt, but I only see him out maybe once every 2 or 3 months and that's just for a causal round. He doesn't play tournaments anymore.

i know of more golfers that have the short arm thing going on but i was just way too f'ing lazy to list any more.

I consider putting to be one of the stronger parts of my game. (which isn't saying much) I almost never miss from inside 20'. But I've struggled to stretch my putts to longer distances without resorting to trying to aim an anhyser line in or time the fade.

I had thought I was doing a short-arm putt, having learned the technique from Blake's article. But watching this video made me realize that I've been extending my arm much, much more ... l've ending my stroke with a straight elbow.

I just tried 30 putts working on finishing my stroke sooner, while the elbow is still bent, with the disc only traveling about 18" before leaving my hand. The first thing I noticed was how much more speed I was getting on the disc as I was getting that 'ejection' from the palm. My accuracy was way down of course, but even from 20' I was easily over shooting the target by 10' - 15' on nice flat putting lines.

I think the longer arm extension was limiting the amount of weight shift that I was transferring to the disc. This adjustment definitely seems like the answer to extending my effective range out to 30'.

It is just a pity that I'm going to have to relearn my accuracy with this modified stroke to get there. But so it goes: one step back to take two forward.

It does seem that with short arm putting, the timing of the weight shift is easier. As long as I do it, power is added to my putt.

Accuracy will come. For me, it's hard to miss (at least when nothing's at stake)

The only times I'll miss are if I forget to aim or I don't get good wrist extension. Poor wrist extension is often a problem for me on putts outside the circle. As much as I tell myself to just concentrate on the fundamentals, I'll still often try to muscle it and my technique will break down.

The first thing I noticed was how much more speed I was getting on the disc as I was getting that 'ejection' from the palm.

you are describing the effects of finger spring and wrist extension/palm push.

one thing i noticed with this form..(maybe just because it was dan doing it) the disc becomes more of a ballistic projectile than a gyroscopic one allowing it to fly further straighter and with less fade..

or is that just because dan doesnt normally putt this way and is a freak of nature(and i mean that in the best way possible)

Latest posts