• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania splits with Innova

1) As a sponsored pro, I think you have to realize that these relationships could change at any time and if you chose to rely on these relationships to fill your bag, you could be impacted. If putting P2's are a top priority, you should consider signing with Discmania and not Innova.

2) I would imagine that the contract would be worded in a way that technically allows you to keep throwing what you are throwing. I would imagine the next contract may be worded differently.

3) As a sponsored player, it might be worth considering how #2 impacts your relationship with your sponsor. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone switch discs for that reason.

How do you mean? It is a know fact that Tiger used clubs forged in Japan (can't remember the specific company at the moment) and branded Nike when he first switched to Nike.

He never lost strokes for that. As long as the equipment is approved and within specs, you can use anything you want branded anything you want. Of course your sponsor would drop or fine you, but that is different.

In this case, Jerm putts with blank discs with his personal stamp on it. For all i know, they are actually Lunas. They are whatever he identifies them as when it comes to marketing.

I was actually speaking about the specific ball that you play with. IIRC, and it's been a long time since I saw this so I could be wrong, you have to register the specific brand and type of ball you are playing with before a round on the pro tour. Whereas, by the USGA rules, you just have to play the same ball from tee to green on a hole unless you lose that ball during the course of a hole. Otherwise you are free to switch at any point.

Like I said, a sort of pointless aside.

Did anyone else notice on Simon's disc intro video during the intro (starts right at 11 seconds) that "Discmania is an EU registered trademark or Innova Champion Europe"?

Oh yeah, I forgot about the embossing. But In reality, no one is going to look. Innova probably told the players, just wipe the stamp and dye it something else and we don't care. He can identify it as a Firefly and what is the difference? We will be none the wiser, even if we suspect they might actually be leftover P2s.

I may be mistaken but I still think he uses the Kp2 which is an older non embossed run, so I would think he would be good going forward. I also read somewhere that Innova players can still use the DM discs as long as they were produced by Innova. Maybe that changes in the future but I guess we will have to see.

Did anyone else notice on Simon's disc intro video during the intro (starts right at 11 seconds) that "Discmania is an EU registered trademark or Innova Champion Europe"?

Its a previous company name for current Spin18, nothing more to it than that. Under the Spin18 umbrella you have Discmania, DiscGolfPark, you name it

The thing i think is stupid, is not getting these approved enough ahead of time so that the DM guys could use the new P2s. I mean at this point if Eagle wins using the OG it is not terrible, but think about the marketing win for DM if he won his first Worlds with the new ones.

Yeah but he said he is going to go with what he is used to for now, and I dont blame him. Megabucks marketing move for sure, but also what if he tanked Worlds and missed a whole lot of putts he usually makes only due to making a too abrupt switch to the swedish P2s?

Its a previous company name for current Spin18, nothing more to it than that. Under the Spin18 umbrella you have Discmania, DiscGolfPark, you name it

So Innova (which is also Innova Champion Europe/Spin18/Whatever Inc) owns Discmania as far as the EU is concerned and you say "nothing more than that?"

Owning the company you just 'split from' with all this hype and hoopla a 'nothing'?
Please elaborate.

So Innova (which is also Innova Champion Europe/Spin18/Whatever Inc) owns Discmania as far as the EU is concerned and you say "nothing more than that?"

Innova and Innova Champion Europe are completely different companies.

Innova Champion Europe is Jussi's Finnish holding company for Spin18/Discmania/DiscGolfPark/etc. It was formed in 2001.

Innova (fully Innova Champion Discs) is Dave Dunipace's American disc manufacturing company that's been around since 1983.

Interesting first post.

So Dave D said "Sure, use our name and sell our products without the actual Innova disc golf company having anything else to do with your venture. best of luck guys!"

Shenanigans!

I agree, I didn't say same, I said similar. I don't throw FDs but if I did that is one of the discs you can actually find that I would consider.

Some of the others may be the exact same though, I can't tell a difference between the Max/Slab/PD3 at all.

Don't they have the Centurion too which I think would be pretty close to the FD?

Interesting first post.

So Dave D said "Sure, use our name and sell our products without the actual Innova disc golf company having anything else to do with your venture. best of luck guys!"

Shenanigans!
Dave D doesn't get a say. See attached screenshot. :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 11.12.38 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 11.12.38 AM.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 147
lol proto P2 drop webpage has crashed - 404 page not found....

those that got through all mentioned 35$ for the two p2's PLUS ~20$ shipping. so 55$ for two 8$ d-line putters?
DM coming out the gate strong

Interesting first post.

Shenanigans!

They actually changed their name to Innova Champion Europe in 2009 and then to Spin18 in 2019. https://www.spin18.com/about-us/

Spin18 is still a DBA, though, so until there's an official change on articles of incorporation then some of the legal text will still say Innova Champion Europe.

https://www.largestcompanies.com/company/Innova-Champion-Europe-Oy-1310504

and now theyre all sold out - the P2 proto sale lasted all of 30 minutes before crashing and selling out

They actually changed their name to Innova Champion Europe in 2009 and then to Spin18 in 2019. https://www.spin18.com/about-us/

Spin18 is still a DBA, though, so until there's an official change on articles of incorporation then some of the legal text will still say Innova Champion Europe.

https://www.largestcompanies.com/company/Innova-Champion-Europe-Oy-1310504

Saw all those already, still don't believe that Innova isn't somehow getting a share of a company that is using their name with just 'Europe' at the end of it.

Saw all those already, still don't believe that Innova isn't somehow getting a share of a company that is using their name with just 'Europe' at the end of it.

Innova Discs is not the only company with Innova in their name. I am not a lawyer and all that, but this seems to just be a legal entity name, so unless they start using the actual Innova trademarks in their products there isn't much they could do I would guess.