• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Nuke

Picked up a blue 170 FR the other day, I may have found my new D driver. The Nuke is a little longer than my wraith and easier to get out there. I love the stability already, my only concern is how it will break in. Longer orc/flash is an accurate description. Holds a nice straight line with a nice fade at the end.

Has anyone thrown the hot pink production Nukes? I'd like to start an inventory on the stability of these near max weight in the different colors. I've only had flesh color, so I can't compare Nukes to one another yet.

discspeed said:
Has anyone thrown the hot pink production Nukes? I'd like to start an inventory on the stability of these near max weight in the different colors. I've only had flesh color, so I can't compare Nukes to one another yet.

I haven't thrown one but I would think you would want to have the same person throw all the different colors to keep it as accurate as possible.

discspeed said:
Yes...and they fly a little more beefy than the blue one's. The color's I have thrown so far are Orange, White, Pink, Red, Tennis Ball Yellow and Blue. Here are my rankings stability-wise from most to least.

Orange, Red, White, Yellow, Pink, Blue.

The white is what surprised me. Only because the two white FR Forces I had were understable when brand new.

BLURR said:
discspeed said:
Yes...and they fly a little more beefy than the blue one's. The color's I have thrown so far are Orange, White, Pink, Red, Tennis Ball Yellow and Blue. Here are my rankings stability-wise from most to least.

Orange, Red, White, Yellow, Pink, Blue.

The white is what surprised me. Only because the two white FR Forces I had were understable when brand new.

I threw both pink and green. And BLURR is right with his analysis of the pink one. I would say the green one fits between the yellow and pink

mzuleger said:
discspeed said:

I haven't thrown one but I would think you would want to have the same person throw all the different colors to keep it as accurate as possible.

Picked up a 168g Hot Pink Nuke today and will be field testing tomorrow. I'll get back to you with my review.

EDIT: Okay, just did some field testing. The disc flies just like a new ESP Surge, but unfortunately I do not have the arm speed to really crank it out there. I was barely getting 340ft with it. But it did handle a moderate headwind pretty well. The disc did turn over but came back. Definitely works best in a no wind and tailwind situation though.

So, if anyone is interested in a 168g Hot Pink Nuke that's pretty much still in new condition send me a PM.

Before I chime in let me just say I haven't taken the time to read all 30+ pages, so forgive me if I'm rehashing anything.

For the last couple years Orcs are the fastest driver I throw on the course. I have messed around with a lot of the warp speed discs to get an idea how they fly, but never really took a liking to anything faster than a Wraith. Anyway the other day someone offered to let me throw his new Nuke on a long open hole. It flew effortlessly on the line I intended to throw it and went probably 50+ ft past where I normally land an Orc. I threw it pretty much flat and a couple degrees right of where I wanted it to land. Stayed straight on course till it slowed down then faded left just enough to land dead center in the fairway.

I know a single throw is not much of a sample size but it was enough to know that the Nuke is really easy to throw for being a high speed driver. For my 350ish arm it is probably the best I have come across. I think with a little time getting to know how to throw a Nuke I could get it out to 400 repeatably.

It is the first time with a disc faster than a Wraith I am actually considering keeping one in the bag for wide open bomber holes. Thanks Discraft!

EDIT: I read through some more of the thread. Between that and my one and only throw with one, I have talked myself into going to try and find one or two down at the local shop today and trading in some other junk for NUKES. Hopefully when it stops raining I will come back here and let you all know how they were able to add another 100ft to my internet distance.

Currently I use a Surge for max D, so I'm sure that I could get some benefit from throwing the Nuke...only problem is that wide rimmed drivers pull my rip point from my index finger to my middle finger, which makes it pretty uncomfortable to throw.

victorb said:
Currently I use a Surge for max D, so I'm sure that I could get some benefit from throwing the Nuke...only problem is that wide rimmed drivers pull my rip point from my index finger to my middle finger, which makes it pretty uncomfortable to throw.

Yeah, having big hands sure is a help with throwing all these new ultra mega wide rimmed discs. Though I think the flip side is my big @$$ hands don't throw drives as well with smaller rimmed mid-ranges and putters. They just don't feel right.

discspeed said:

Gad, I hate that flesh color ESP.

I only have one and it's more stable than my Halo. It's a blue 166.

Evidence that I have as much of a plastic addiction problem as anyone else: Went to pick up a Nuke or two a few hours ago. Came back with a pair, along with a Glo Z Buzz, Glo Z Stalker and another disc for a friend of mine. Basically as many discs as I had cash in my pocket for. :oops:

Eric O said:
Evidence that I have as much of a plastic addiction problem as anyone else: Went to pick up a Nuke or two a few hours ago. Came back with a pair, along with a Glo Z Buzz, Glo Z Stalker and another disc for a friend of mine. Basically as many discs as I had cash in my pocket for. :oops:

i have that problem... except replace "basically as many discs as I had cash in my pocket for." with this...

Basically as many discs as I had cash in my bank account for.

I think the equation is exponential.

I just got a chance to toss one this weekend, a bright yellow first run. I have a tough time with the super wide rim but the disc went very far. I don't really have the arm for them but it was better than the Groove I accidentally bought a while back. The Nuke went very straight a long ways very quickly, then died and took a heavy fade into the ground. Maybe like a very long Predator for me. The guy that bought it threw it quite a bit during our rounds and that thing skipped like crazy, often times putting him in a worse lie. I think that reinforces my decision to hold off and throw slower discs until I have an arm to try the super fast ones. Perhaps with a bit more practice he can make it a good disc, it does get him more distance, but it seems rather unpredictable.

tgm said:
The guy that bought it threw it quite a bit during our rounds and that thing skipped like crazy, often times putting him in a worse lie.

strange you say that, because my experience with my nukes (ive got quite a few in different colors/weights) along with everyone i play with all love the nuke because we can bomb it out there and it has little to no skip whatsoever, unless thrown very low to the ground. as long as i get a little elevation on it i can put it out over 400 feet and it just digs into the ground as soon as it hits. you can see where it hits the ground and its usually less than 5 feet from the point of impact, if it doesnt tombstone itself into the ground and stay right where it landed. this is the main reason i have stopped using bosses, that and the nuke added about 4'0-50' to my drive.

ive also noticed that my neon green first runs are super overstable compared to any of my memorial's or my orange, dayglow yellow, and white first runs....anyone else have a green one that is super overstable or do i just have some crazy green nukes? comes in handy sometimes though if i need to get a long straight shot with a huge left finish.

kpc2004 said:
ive also noticed that my neon green first runs are super overstable compared to any of my memorial's or my orange, dayglow yellow, and white first runs....anyone else have a green one that is super overstable or do i just have some crazy green nukes? comes in handy sometimes though if i need to get a long straight shot with a huge left finish.

I've only thrown the lime green ones and had the same thought. I've got a blue I will probably give a try today to see if it's any different...

I have a green. I can't really pop it up from anything but a very shallow hyzer. However, I can throw it flat and have it track to the right then finish left.

On other news, I played the Kan-U-WyCo today at Wyndotte County Park in the KC area. For those that haven't played this course...it's big. Par 58 the first round, and a par 61 the second round. So a lot of your tee shots are controlled max D shots (because there are still plenty of trees, and OB rope in the areas without trees). Anyway, I threw the Nuke a ton today. If I threw it too flat into a headwind (15-25mph wind throughout the day), it would turnover and not come back. However, on a shallow hyzer I could have it track right and finish a little left. On a couple of the holes that were protected from the wind, I could really flex this thing out. I've been without a max D driver in my bag for a year, and really found myself leaning on this thing for the extra distance it gave me. I'm so glad Discraft made this disc; I think a whole lot of people are going to get some major benefit from it.

I shot a 60 the first round (solo 4th in AM1) and finished with a 66 the end round (tied for 5th). It's really tough to compete in advanced on a long course without distance drivers (something I tried last year at the same tournament), so I think the Nuke is what I've been looking for.

i had trouble throwing nukes into a headwind the first few days but then i kinda adapted my throw and found that releasing it at just the correct angle allows it to just tear through the wind. now if only i could figure out how to putt in a headwind haha

Putting into a headwind is easy. Start it low and flat, and let the wind pull it into the basket. Don't throw it hard; the wind will do all the work for you.

Timko said:
Putting into a headwind is easy. Start it low and flat, and let the wind pull it into the basket. Don't throw it hard; the wind will do all the work for you.

thanks for the tip!

kpc2004 said:
Timko said:

thanks for the tip!

I only say this because I played a tournament in the wind today. I saw a lot of people trying to jam their discs into the basket into a headwind. I saw a guy have a putt hit dead center and bounce out because he threw it too hard into a headwind. You have to be confident with your stroke (you cannot be tentative into the wind), but you don't have to fire it in there.