• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Z Nuke

discspeed said:
Timko said:
discspeed said:
However, they are very comparable to the Orc in that they can turn in the wind and keep flying for a long time in the wrong direction.

I had one of these yesterday on hole #14 at Waterworks (one of the most famous holes in the midwest). 550' feet turnover on a 450' straight shot hole surrounded by OB right and behind. Whoops.

Bring on the Nuke X!!!

Also, for those who have never played Waterworks (shame on you), #14 is downhill. I don't throw that far ever without some assistance from elevation.

I'd play it but I'd have to make a road trip out of it. Not to mention a plane trip.

Got 3 first run Z Nukes yesterday from a buddy. Took them out to the field today. After 15 minutes, i hit 425 feet, new personal best by 25. The things found a place in my bag after one little test throwing session. I am in love with them !

Not gonna lie, I'd love to be on the disc'n down train, but I throw Nukes so friggin' far! Not just far, but controlled and on low lines. I've parked more 400' holes in the last few months with the help of the Nuke that I wouldn't consider taking them out of my bag. Great disc for people that can throw 350' with Wraith or Valk or some slower disc.

jnecessary said:
Not gonna lie, I'd love to be on the disc'n down train, but I throw Nukes so friggin' far! Not just far, but controlled and on low lines. I've parked more 400' holes in the last few months with the help of the Nuke that I wouldn't consider taking them out of my bag. Great disc for people that can throw 350' with Wraith or Valk or some slower disc.

It was fun to watch during yesterdays round. It was also a little embarrassing when I would have to say I'm back here guys.

I'm in the same boat here. There are so many holes that are now legit birdie opportunities for me now that weren't before I put this disc in the bag. Some of the tougher par 4's in KC are now just a big drive and an upshot away from birdie. I <3 the Z Nuke.

I've been using the Z Nuke for a while now and its earned its spot in the bag. I usually can only get most my drivers out to 325 but the Z Nuke gets me out to 350 and beyond, and on low controlled lines like others have already said. Its gotten me birdies on some holes that previously were out of reach, so of course I too love this disc.

I agree with most of what has been said here already.

Before the Nuke I was driving with moderately overstable Z Flashes, but converted to the Z Nuke. I got 3 identical purple second runs that are nice and stable and don't flip unless I throw them hard and flat. I get great distance with these, and it hasn't come with such a great cost of consistency, at least not as much as some on here might make you believe. Obviously, I can get better placement with a nice Buzzz or Cyclone throw, but honestly, when I'm trying to throw 400'+, I'm usually not worried about being off to the left or right by 20'.

I've also heard it said that you can't call a certain disc the longest disc on the market, but rather just the longest on a given line. While I agree with this to an extent, of all the possible lines, release angles, power levels, etc. the Nuke is longer with a greater number of those possible combinations than any other disc I've thrown. Maybe the Nuke will never fly as far as a Valkyrie has, but the Valk will not fly as far as a Nuke on most normal golf lines. Of all the speed 13 discs out there, the Nuke has been by far the best and most consistent way of getting controllable distance.

I agree with all the Nuke praise. To me it is simply the most forgiving distance disc yet produced. I have this damn hole I have to play all the time (hole 16 Cliff Stephens) that you have to carry over water for at least the first 380' to get safe unless you really lay up for a 4. The winds play weird over the water, so in the past, no matter how good I was throwing, I would have about 1/10 shots somehow stall out or find another way to the water. The Nuke has gotten across over and over again regardless of line. As long as I don't totally shank it low, it pushes all the way across.

b48f5674.jpg

Where's the pin? Looks like you could just put it on the right somewhere...

Jeronimo said:
b48f5674.jpg

Where's the pin? Looks like you could just put it on the right somewhere...

First off, that picture is from like 10 years ago and the hole looks totally different now. All the trees are bigger and literally hang out over the water. If you hit the tops of them, they all spit you in the drink. They all hang low as well and have Spanish moss all over. Anyway, currently the pin is pretty much straight off the tee about 60' behind that thick line of trees. If you just throw off to the right you have a good chance of hitting the canopy and getting deflected into the water. Even if you do land safe, it takes a really lucky shot to get up under the trees and anywhere near the basket.

Jeronimo said:
So you have to aim for that one open spot between the lines of tree's?

Pretty much...There's a walking path over there as well, so optimally you can skip on that as your disc fades and drops and get an extra 30-40'. Usually my Nuke fades out a little short and I'm among the trunks of the line of trees (which is actually a double line of trees with a sidewalk running between them). From there it's an easy 3.

It's a really cruel hole with those trees hanging out over the water, because it can look for sure from the tee like your disc crossed land before being ricocheted into the water, but it almost never does. Every year that spotter gets argued with during the tournament because some pro *can't believe* his shot didn't cross land. Also, often you feel headwind on the teepad, but as soon as your disc gets close to the other side those trees totally shelter you from the wind. The result is a lot of stalled shots falling into the drink. There's also another position(the trademark one) just to the right of the tree on the left end. This is the one Aleksey Bubis aced last year during the tournament. I saw it happen from the teepad of 17 (far front right in the photo under the trees) and it was SICK!

discspeed said:
[This is the one Aleksey Bubis aced last year during the tournament. I saw it happen from the teepad of 17 (far front right in the photo under the trees) and it was SICK!

He tends to do absurd things like that from time to time :).

Has anyone else noticed that these Z Nukes produce some crazy lift in some situations? I'm not sure if I've just been having some slight nose angle issues or what, but I've had some shots rise 10'-20' on me into a little wind. I've been able to correct it somewhat by literally throwing them super low and letting them rise, but more often than not I've been grabbing my Star Boss when the wind is active. This has mainly been happening with my domey Z Nukes.

discspeed said:
Has anyone else noticed that these Z Nukes produce some crazy lift in some situations? I'm not sure if I've just been having some slight nose angle issues or what, but I've had some shots rise 10'-20' on me into a little wind. I've been able to correct it somewhat by literally throwing them super low and letting them rise, but more often than not I've been grabbing my Star Boss when the wind is active. This has mainly been happening with my domey Z Nukes.
I haven't seen this when throwing them. However, I just don't throw them with any headwind because they can flip wildly into a wind. I grab a Force for that situation, or an Echo *D when it is just a slight headwind.

Yeah, anything but calm or tailwind the nuke doesn't come out of my bag. I have a beat up lighter Z force that I hyzerflip for big D (not nuke big) when there is a light headwind. The nuke is squirrelly enough without headwinds.

It's not me...I took out a Glow Z Nuke yesterday that is flatter than my other Zs and it didn't get this lift at all...However, it doesn't get the glide either. The crazy thing is that these super lifting Z Nukes don't lose much D or stall out when they get lifted like that. Anyway, I'm with y'all and I'm grabbing something else in any significant wind, and in calm or tailwinds the Nuke rules. It also still works pretty well in the wind for shots under 400' (I use it for FH, and I don't throw nearly as hard like that).

Latest posts