• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs for beginner female?

Don't go with the 150 class stuff. The wind out there will just tear her and these discs apart.

She can stick with the 150 class stuff by simply going slightly more stable. There's also nothing wrong with discs in the low 160s, but they'll mask more flaws in technique and may help to develop OAT to keep them from fading off. If you do go into the 160s, go with the more understable, slower discs, like the Meteor, Panther, or Wolf.

ps. my 150 Z Flick goes waaaay far and dead straight into headwinds of 20 mph and greater.

Thanks, I don't want to lead her in the wrong direction. I think she will be able to hang at leagues and stuff soon:)

I was hoping she would come to glow at bandemer in Ann arbor, it's a fun 9 hole with three sets of tees, leagues is dubs with mixed tees.
There's also "ladies of lakeshore" at the ponds at lakeshore.

Buy her a sweet 150g Champion Fly-Dye Leopard. She can do everything with it from driving to putting its versatile and forgiving except into a strong wind.

Leopard is definitely a great disc, if you want to make her feel special buy her a River, my wife gets about 20' more than her leopard with it and it flies very similar.

The fuse is a great mid as well, as is the cobra you already have, I wouldn't bother with the stingray as it is a beadless cobra more or less so no point going less stable.

Putters is too personal but I think XDs are great because they are easier to drive with. Learning to drive with putters is a very important thing to learn.

Courtney McCoy has recently become a pretty good friend of ours and she really dislikes 150 class discs, doesn't feel they ever fly "right" so if you can get a little heavier then all the better.

She also really likes monarchs...maybe the only person who does, but my wife got one with tourney payout yesterday and likes it so far as well, but that may be better for later on.

I let the GF use my z and ESP Buzzz. They seem to work for her 100-150' throws.
Both are 169-171 I believe.

This has been an interesting thread for me. This spring my partner has been joining me on Sunday mornings to play. She's just over 5 feet, on the heavy side, and older (54). She has never been athletic in her life, so it has been quite a enjoyable revelation to her that she can learn the sport and actually par some holes. She's *really* enjoying playing. (We play at the Alex Clark course in McKinney, TX in the far north Dallas suburbs).

I started her with DX Leopards for drivers, and an R-Pro Dart for a putter, short approach disc. Recently picked up a Skeeter, which I think has good potential. We've tried some other discs, but they were either too fast (Archangel) or not distinct enough for her to be able to tell the difference. But the list on here has given me some new ideas. Thanks for those.

She throws about 150' on a good throw, more like 100' on a typical throw. We've watched a number of videos and whatnot. I think the biggest issue for her is that she doesn't have a lot of strength, and doesn't really pull the disc through, but rather just spins with her arm out. That yields a great variability in where the disc goes and doesn't amp up the spin (it's more like a sling).

Her biggest challenge is just throwing straight. She tends to turn the disc over (which gets her significantly more distance and it plays the S), but even so the discs have a lot of variation left-to-right. We go out to a field near our house and throw, and that's been good. So we have room to practice (though the Texas summer is making this harder).

A couple of quick questions:

Q1: When we're in the field, I'm throwing her 150g discs back to her area. Most of them seem more overstable than my own high 160's discs. Is that part of being a light-weight disc? Just a figment of my imagination? I suspect the real reason is that I'm not throwing them very hard, since I'm not far away, and thus they never get up to speed. But I'm constantly surprised.

Q2: To what extent do other (new) women player's use a run up or a cross-step? She's tried it a number of times, but in general it doesn't pan out well. So she just stands and throws.

Q3: The Alex Clark course is known for being short. And that's been great. She can par most of the holes (except 6, 9, 13, and 16), though she usually only gets ~5 pars per round. I'm hesitant to take her to other DFW courses, because the longer distances, and sometimes thicker woods, just seems like it would be more frustrating. Any opinions on this, especially from the women? Is it better to just go to some longer, less forgiving places, even if the score's going to rack up? Or stick to something reasonable and get better and better? As a reference point for those who know the course, the best she's done so far is +14 over par.

I think she's been doing great, and I'm exceptionally proud of her. I hope she keeps playing. These kinds of posts are great for other considerations. I wish there was a more clear environment for women leagues. I don't even know if Dallas has one, or whether they'd welcome someone so new to the sport.

Ken

I set my wife up with a 168 Z Avenger SS that she has really come to love. She can get it out to about 200' pretty consistently. I also got her a 150 class sidewinder that she likes. I'm gonna have to have her try a leopard, I've heard so many good things about that disc and was watching a buddy play his for a nice smooth anny shot for opposite fade.

She also really likes monarchs...maybe the only person who does, but my wife got one with tourney payout yesterday and likes it so far as well, but that may be better for later on.

I use the monarch as well, mostly as a roller. Its decent for that, but probably not beginner friendly.

Yeah thats why I said for later on, kinda like a valk...good disc but not for now.

When we did our big clinic a lot of the women were throwing darts for putters as well.

Q1: When we're in the field, I'm throwing her 150g discs back to her area. Most of them seem more overstable than my own high 160's discs. Is that part of being a light-weight disc? Just a figment of my imagination? I suspect the real reason is that I'm not throwing them very hard, since I'm not far away, and thus they never get up to speed. But I'm constantly surprised.

A1: I too have this issue, I think it may have to do more with form, as I have been informed today that lighter discs can really show the flaws in your technique. I'm not sure on that, but talk to volk, she was helping me out with that.

Q2: To what extent do other (new) women player's use a run up or a cross-step? She's tried it a number of times, but in general it doesn't pan out well. So she just stands and throws.

A2: One thing that I have told a couple noobs that seems to work is, instead of an X step, first have her stand almost with her back to the basic and just take a few fluid backwards steps. It is essentially an x step without having to concentrate on footwork.

Q3: The Alex Clark course is known for being short. And that's been great. She can par most of the holes (except 6, 9, 13, and 16), though she usually only gets ~5 pars per round. I'm hesitant to take her to other DFW courses, because the longer distances, and sometimes thicker woods, just seems like it would be more frustrating. Any opinions on this, especially from the women? Is it better to just go to some longer, less forgiving places, even if the score's going to rack up? Or stick to something reasonable and get better and better? As a reference point for those who know the course, the best she's done so far is +14 over par.

A3: I think this all depends on her. If she is willing/wanting to go to other courses do it. Also another great idea is trying to find some other beginners or females to play with you guys, that could go a long way to showing her that pretty much everyone deals with the same issue when the start out.

I think she's been doing great, and I'm exceptionally proud of her. I hope she keeps playing. These kinds of posts are great for other considerations. I wish there was a more clear environment for women leagues. I don't even know if Dallas has one, or whether they'd welcome someone so new to the sport.

Ken

Hope some of that was helpful. Also have you tried getting her to forehand. I know that was the easiest and fastest improvement to my game. Not only did I get instant distance, it taught me how discs fly and essentially helped improve my backhand as well.

She throws about 150' on a good throw, more like 100' on a typical throw. We've watched a number of videos and whatnot. I think the biggest issue for her is that she doesn't have a lot of strength, and doesn't really pull the disc through, but rather just spins with her arm out. That yields a great variability in where the disc goes and doesn't amp up the spin (it's more like a sling).
Her biggest challenge is just throwing straight. She tends to turn the disc over (which gets her significantly more distance and it plays the S), but even so the discs have a lot of variation left-to-right. We go out to a field near our house and throw, and that's been good. So we have room to practice (though the Texas summer is making this harder).
Working on a standing throw with consistency and control will get her farther than worrying about distance and/or cross step. By keeping it in the fairway, she'll start lowering her score and as the confidence builds, the distance will come.

Work on having her do a straight, level pull across the pecs to start...no real reach back is necessary at this point. A more curled-arm/wrist style may get her enough spin to both level the disc out for straighter flight and get the distance coming.

Just like their heavier brethren, they need to get up to speed to not fade out - they require less muscle but the same speed and spin. Try actually throwing them for real and see if you can get consistent, appropriate flight paths out of them. You'll find you need more snap with a clean, easy, smooth release to not OAT them.

That's perfect to start. A standing throw allows her to work on the throw mechanics without worrying about her feet, hips, etc. Most mid and top level players use a run-up or cross step just like the guys, but most men learned that through playing sports while many women didn't. As the consistency comes, add just one step at a time.

Take her to other places! Let her know they're more challenging, but keep things mellow and help her to at least enjoy the change of pace and scenery. It will also give her a chance to develop other throws....have her try scoobers, tommys, thumbers, rollers, etc., just for fun. Spend some time laughing and just playing catch or whatever - keep it stress free and she'll keep coming back. ;)

Ken
Oh, and playing catch will help her develop her short game, too. Many women whose distance suffers make up for that deficiency by having a killer short game. A bad drive followed by an awesome upshot and solid putting will still get her some pars. Use the catch game to work on putting (by throwing right at your belly button) and shaped shots like hyzers and annys.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Volklgirl and roadtripstuff! I appreciate it. We'll try playing more rounds of catch (we've only done that some).

Latest posts