• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do aces count if they aren't your first throw?

then you go to sleep.

absolutely.... (thinking about the women) I mean I smoke a cig, and cuddle and talk to you, and listen to all your woes.....

oh yeah.... right, aces.. well it SHOULD be on your first throw, having never got one, IMHO if I shanked one, threw a second... and it sticks, I would call my friends and say ACE! having said that, I sat on one hole the other day for about 75 throws (YAY I practiced!) I would NOT count one of those as an "Ace" per se, but your damn right I'd brag about the shot afterward at the bar...

is it easier to judge the power needed for a hole when you havent thrown it in an hour or in 30 seconds?:rolleyes:

True that! I am just playing devils advocate...

What if they were different styles of shots? Hyzer, s-turn, anny, sidearm, overhand... Then what? That would be completely different styles of shots.

(Love the "roll eyes").
DSCJNKY

What if they were different styles of shots? Hyzer, s-turn, anny, sidearm, overhand... Then what? That would be completely different styles of shots.

(Love the "roll eyes").
DSCJNKY

no, aces are only on your first shot. period. end of discussion.

what's the difference between nailing that tree right off the tee pad, picking it up, redriving and nailing it? is that an ace? hell no! that's saving a duece! But if you shank one into the woods or throw a second or practice and it clangs home, it counts? please... :rolleyes:

it's still a sick shot that I would brag about, but never an ace

"Dude, check it out... I just aced this hole."
"Why are all those other discs laying around the basket?"
"Oh, I emptied my bag on it. Finally got one to stick."
"Nice story. Later."

Not an ace, but still a cool throw to brag about!

(Love the "roll eyes").
DSCJNKY
dude i love playing Devil"s Advocate, do you got it on X-Box or PS3 :rolleyes: Yeah i got what you were laying down, but i think you might have omitted something on "accident" :rolleyes: that might have been counter productive to your arguement.:rolleyes: and i also love the :rolleyes: guy he brings sarcasm into the 21st century .:)

You win the award for the most smiley faces in one post

I really don't count it so much as the first one thrown, but calling which one you are taking. My last ace was technically on the second throw, but I called out what disc I was going to take beforehand. I had just finished out a hole and still had my wasp in my hand. I stepped up and said, "hold on I wanna see what this'll do real quick with a forehand". Tossed it and landed right next to the basket for an easy deuce. Then I pulled out my legacy and said something similar to, "K hopefully this one goes where the other one is". Backhanded it cleanly in the basket.

usually I throw "practice" throws after my initial throw, but in this case the disc I wanted was in my bag, and the disc I wanted to practice with was in my hand so I threw that one first.
btw, still a hole in one. But id take the first shot for deuce not the second re-tee for 3

Rick Reilly's column this week in ESPN the Mag is about how he always hears about aces but never had one so he goes on a quest to get one. It's pretty funny and a good read. Especially in the context of this thread and how often he says he's cheating.

It can be found here.

I think an ace is really just for show anyway. If me or one of my friends made a basket from the first throw i'm sure we'd count it as a one. But we are not even close to professionals. We just play for fun and so that throw would go down in our books as a good throw.

I think an ace is really just for show anyway. If me or one of my friends made a basket from the first throw i'm sure we'd count it as a one. But we are not even close to professionals. We just play for fun and so that throw would go down in our books as a good throw.
the thing is on holes around or over 300ft most of the time those arent good throws, unless they go in. Every shot ive ever had that had a chance to go in for an ace was alot higher or longer than i was trying to throw. Going for an ace intentionally is not something i do , i go for bird, amd missed aces usually end up being pars unless you hit the basket.

Rick Reilly's column this week in ESPN the Mag is about how he always hears about aces but never had one so he goes on a quest to get one. It's pretty funny and a good read. Especially in the context of this thread and how often he says he's cheating.

It can be found here.

Thanks for posting that skinner. That is a good read. For those of us that recognize the definition of an ace and respect it for what it is and how it's achieved, I think the article will garner sincere appreciation. Unfortunately, for those that refuse to accept an ace by its definition will fail to see the writers point. And I'm sure they'll still ask the question over and over in hopes that everyone else who lives by the rules will change their minds and accept their second, third, fourth, fifth or tenth throw ace.

It can be found here.

That's a pretty funny read... especially for me because I did exactly the same thing (minus the cheating) for disc golf... but mine only took me one try. :D

First and only one: 5/30/2009 @ Cedar Brook Elementary School: #1 - 147'
18 months from the first time I threw real disc golf discs at a basket.

For a while now my girlfriend has been saying we've been playing long enough that we should have an Ace by now. So this past weekend I decide that we should go "Cubby" and we head out to the shortest course in town. Kinda funny since I sorta predicted that I could get my first Ace there in this post. The course is easy enough that I'm gonna play it with just my 169 Pro Rhyno for everything. We do the high-five, "good round" thing and I step up to the first tee and toss the Rhyno out on a slight hyzer line and it sails perfectly into the basket. One throw, mission accomplished! :D

We played three rounds and had some more close calls, but no other aces that day. Jessica's best throw was on #3 where she bounced one off the top of the basket:

I think it's hilarious that "Cubby" is the new term for staged aces. I wonder if he's ever been asked his feelings on the subject?

This thread is boring. How bout we discuss why everybody cares if someone you'll never meet counts an extra drive as an ace?

Latest posts