• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do 'soft' plastic putters catch chains better?

Is softer better for catching chains?

• Yes

Votes: 83 47.4%
  • No

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • Same

Votes: 41 23.4%
  • Why do you post so many polls

Votes: 12 6.9%

• Total voters
I've always used soft putters, and am convinced that the logic behind them is faulty.

The top pros, the people who putt the best, and have to most to lose with missed putts, overwhelmingly use stiffer putters.

But I still use soft putters, because I have a lot of years invested in that faulty logic, and I'm not giving it up now.

I've always used soft putters, and am convinced that the logic behind them is faulty.

The top pros, the people who putt the best, and have to most to lose with missed putts, overwhelmingly use stiffer putters.

But I still use soft putters, because I have a lot of years invested in that faulty logic, and I'm not giving it up now.

Big fan of faulty logic, as long as it is implemented consistently. :hfive:

As far as comparisons to pros, top or otherwise, my putting speed is a fraction of most so I'm not sure the comparison is valid.

Newbs: please read this

I find it interesting that the poll indicates more people say softer is better for catching chains, but...
No one's said anything to that effect in this thread (unless I missed it). :\

I'll just add this to what I said earlier: I can't really fathom that softer putters a would grab any worse than stiffer version of the same mold, hence I don't think the decision to "go soft" would be a bad move in and of itself.

The bottom line (as most of these posts say) is:
Whatever helps you put your putts on chains most cocnsistently is the way to go. Don't think of it as "it'll hold better" or "is more likely to spit." Go with what feels right to you (whatever your reasons) and contacts chains more often.

More chains = more made putts.

All the other stuff is just a matter of what enables you to feel more confident about your putting.

Absolutely no question (or faulty logic) for me, YES!

I've watched Signature Line DGA and Innova's R-Pro (to a lesser extent) over and over stick to chains, or flop in, when something else would have bounced out. The downside is that occassionally I've seen them stick so well that they ride the chains and get thrown out. Blowflies (I and II) or Gumbputts only leave my bag to get thrown--which is frequently.

Oh, and I have not noticed them to be inconsistent.

Softer plastics do grab chains better. Putting a VIP Harp vs a BT Soft, the BT surely grabs chains better, if it clips and falls out the comebacks are usually shorter too. BUT as others have said, I putt with what is comfortable in the hand. (for the most part) I used to putt 350 pa3. And after FAR too many spit outs I stopped, 300 pa3 works much better less spits, but now I'm using a Dagger, BT Hard is not as firm and spitty as 350 plastic and BT medium is much softer than 300. Its like staggered in the firmness. It really doesn't MATTER but if youre putting PREMIUM plastics then yes youre likely gonna have more spit outs and skips. So I say Baseline putter, Hard or MEdium firmness, I really don't like soft as it bends the disc as you hold it, just doesn't give you that precise feel, but , do whatever you want. Short answer, Yes, softer baselines catch better

I like a plastic that is still but not slick or super hard.

When I was traveling a ton and using a 5 disc nutsac I used the liquid touch, which is essential is there were a challenger made in Elasto/Frost plastic, and now use Electron(normal) Atoms. So as long as it isn't slick, being stiff doesn't bother me, it's all about that release though.

I have used my daughters megasoft Swan 2 a few times, and it's kind of money too though....

I can't putt like those dudes. If I could, I'd probably use firm putters. Soft putters give me and my poor putting a better shot. So, I use soft putters.

I was putting an RFF Wizard for a while. I recently switched to a much stiffer wizard putter, and I've been loving it. I feel like I get such a better release now. So basically I'm in agreement that a stiff flight plate with sort of grippy plastic is the way to go :thmbup:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2781021&postcount=42

the important thing is to maximize how you putt for the type of plastic you like to use (or vice versa)

I liked that chart, but couldn't find anywhere in that post where it came from. Do you know if that's the product of some legitimate research or just something someone guesstimated on?

Also, I'd really like to see something like that, but applied individually to stiffness, texture, and spin speed.

I liked that chart, but couldn't find anywhere in that post where it came from. Do you know if that's the product of some legitimate research or just something someone guesstimated on?

Also, I'd really like to see something like that, but applied individually to stiffness, texture, and spin speed.

It's part of the legacy of work of Blake Takkunen over at Disc Golf Review. A ton of information that is on here originated over there. The forums are pretty much dead now but there's still a ton of useful content and information.

I've seen/had some putts with a sticky plastic (usually new) that were high on the strong side barely hit the chain and drop in the basket; I don't think they would have gone in with slick plastic.

I used to putt with really soft Gateway Wizards and have gradually moved to a stiff putter for consistency of feel (mine were super floppy in summer). I for sure have some putts that slide out and I think..."old floppy would of stuck there..." but like most have eluded I think the consistent grip in the hand across all weather (from the midwest) and on the thumb is more important than the occasional spit/rebound.

Now, for driving putters soft was an advantage pre 2011 (I think) rule change when sticking it in the cage counted. I played league at a pitch and putt and emptied 2 ace pools sticking old softie in the side of the bucket before they changed that rule.

I voted "the same", as I've seen no difference (disclaimer: most of my experience is with Classic vs. Classic Blend).

The pros tend to use firmer plastics such as Classic/ZeroHard/BTHard, or KC Pro/McPro, etc. There may be pros that use soft plastics, but I'm not sure of who they are.

It's part of the legacy of work of Blake Takkunen over at Disc Golf Review. A ton of information that is on here originated over there. The forums are pretty much dead now but there's still a ton of useful content and information.

Nice! Ya, I remember using DGR quite a bit back in the late 2000's. I probably got more information on form and technique from there than I did here. Great site.

4S from Gateway. It literally has a sticking action on the chains. But it also sticks to your hand, which makes a consistent release nearly impossible.

I've seen more bounce outs from 4S wizards than any of my other putters I've used. They're money discs, don't get me wrong, but in my experience, not because they stick better

I find it interesting that the poll indicates more people say softer is better for catching chains, but...
No one's said anything to that effect in this thread (unless I missed it). :\

Maybe that's because it's so intuitive that soft putters stick better, nobody feels compelled to state the obvious. ;)

I jest, I jest. On behalf of at least one Yes vote, here's my rationale:

Imagine you're trying to throw a ball onto a plate and make it stick. Would you rather use a ping pong ball, or a soft felt ball? Of course you want the soft felt ball, because it won't bounce off the plate as easily.

That is not a perfect analogy, but the core concept is the same. Softer materials tend to absorb more energy on impact because they deform more easily. Softer materials also tend to release that energy more slowly (and less efficiently) back into kinetic energy. Once the projectile is in the target area, you want it to stop there (come to rest). So softer materials that help you kill off kinetic energy are beneficial.

However, I agree with what many have said: any advantage gained by using a softer putter is small compared to other factors. You still have to get the disc into the chains/basket for it to "stick" at all. Most of the time (>90%) a good putt is going to stick regardless of disc material. A soft putter gives you a slightly bigger margin of error, but it's definitely not a guarantee.

That is not a perfect analogy, but the core concept is the same. Softer materials tend to absorb more energy on impact because they deform more easily. Softer materials also tend to release that energy more slowly (and less efficiently) back into kinetic energy. Once the projectile is in the target area, you want it to stop there (come to rest). So softer materials that help you kill off kinetic energy are beneficial.

Honestly don't think they grab chains better, but do think softer plastics deform more on impact, absorb more energy, and thus, result in shorter rebounds.
I believe we're on the same wavelength! :thmbup:

Which gets me to wondering:
Do discs that fall into different parts of the EM spectrum (i.e. wavelength of light reflected off the disc) perform any differently than same* disc in a different color?

* same mold/plastic/weight/state of wear/production run/PLH....
That's quite a few variables we're trying account for, huh?

A soft putter might stick better, but a stiff putter releases more consistently. In the end I get similar results using soft and stiff putters

I've been using Softie 86 and Omega super soft putters for over 20 years now, how can that be wrong? Works for me.

I think that there probably are some small differences between how putters interact with chains, but not enough for me to care about. It's more about finding the putter that lets me put it into the part of the chains that is almost certain to catch any disc that hits there.

Latest posts