• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does age matter?

Yep. Twin Labs Super Enzymes

One other thing on this theme. This year I went full Keto (aka LCHF) including 3-5 day fasts. That seems to have reduced inflammation as well. Down from 309 to 279. I play better now than when I was in my 30's... which isn't saying much. Haha

Very interesting parallel. I went cyclic keto last spring. 7 - 10 days on keto with a 1 day break. I break with high protein, not carbs.
I am at about 200, down from 280 last spring, and yes, overall inflammation is much lower for me as well.

Instead of long fasts, I do time restricted eating. I still get cranky and weak about 30 hours into a fast.

I am using Chirozymes, I will have to compare them to the Twin Labs that you are taking to see if mine has all the ingredients.
I will test them out next time I play.

Thanks!

I started throwing at age 51. I was terrible, like most newbs. After 6 years of 3 or 4 rounds a week, I am actually half way decent.

I will not likely ever be able to throw 400 feet, but I can consistently throw it out to about 300 feet or so.

Two of the most important things I've learned are: accuracy will shave more strokes from your game, than distance, and your second throw is more important than your tee shot.

Throwing 400 or 500 feet would be nice, but in reality, there are not that many disc golf holes that require that kind of arm. My home course (Hiller Park) only has 4 holes over 400 feet and only 1 over 500 feet. Most of the 90+ courses I've played are the same.

An old golf adage comes to mind: Drive for show.....Putt for dough.....

I started getting serious about disc golf in my early 40s and am 56 yrs old now. My game peaked at around age 50 and it has been down hill ever since. Have lost about five feet of distance a year since 50 and my accuracy is starting to fade. My loss of distance I believe is from loss of muscle and my accuracy diminishing is from loss of hand eye coordination. So to answer the question does age matter... YES. When it comes to scoring low rounds age is definitely a consideration but as far as health benefits go the sport is good at any age.

PS: To be fair I throw about half as much as I did when I was at my peak but am still aggravated by my loss of game. Getting old sucks... enjoy your youth.

I started getting serious about disc golf in my early 40s and am 56 yrs old now. My game peaked at around age 50 and it has been down hill ever since. Have lost about five feet of distance a year since 50 and my accuracy is starting to fade. My loss of distance I believe is from loss of muscle and my accuracy diminishing is from loss of hand eye coordination. So to answer the question does age matter... YES. When it comes to scoring low rounds age is definitely a consideration but as far as health benefits go the sport is good at any age.
PS: To be fair I throw about half as much as I did when I was at my peak but am still aggravated by my loss of game. Getting old sucks... enjoy your youth.

That sounds about right for me, losing five feet per year since turning 50. So far, my accuracy is doing okay,though some of that might be the 'discovery' of the Polecat. But hey! I still feel like a young world champion whenever I play DG, reality notwithstanding. <3 :thmbup:

Better believe age matters! If I could have had DG experience back when I was 17 - 40 years of age (sighs). I didn't throw a golf disc until I was a little over 57 years old (I turned 60 this past April). By this time I was dealing with cancer and heart disease (including triple bypass in 2011), those are things you generally don't have to deal with when you are younger and healthier, and old injuries tend to come back as well. I have had dislocated shoulders from playing football and hockey years ago so I can not really throw a FH as I threw my shoulder out again back in 2016 attempting to "bomb" one with a FH throw. And, maybe at that younger age, and following up many years of playing different sports, I might have been able to achieve 400+ feet on a long drive. Now I usually consider about 285 feet as my long drive of the day with an occasional and very rare 300 foot drive thrown in. Now it's more about working at accuracy off the tee, with mids and approach shots, and making my putting game better. I usually play with guys 30 years younger or more than myself so if I can hang within 10 strokes of those younger, more experienced, better players I feel I have accomplished something.

Two of the most important things I've learned are: accuracy will shave more strokes from your game, than distance, and your second throw is more important than your tee shot.

One thing experience has taught me is that the current shot is the set up for the next shot. Kinda like shooting pool. If you going to be successful ya gotta have a plan for the entire hole.

I have been playing 36 yrs or so. Have learned to throw with either hand .back hand, forehand and roller. Minimizes the wear and tear on the the 64 year old body. My goal is to play 9 holes a day,year round.

It means we have to always continue physically and mentally exercise and sports. We will be always fit and fine.

52 with a bad back and have been playing a long time- don't have the stamina for it I once did but other than that my enjoyment has not waned. I cannot recommend a cart highly enough- you can modify a traditional golf one for a fraction of the price of one made for dg.

Ouch, never give advice, it always bites you, but I have the same, it never bothers me. I saw a physical therapist and then worked out with a coach for years. Now I do it on my own. All of it centers around doing core development to support your back. It worked really well for me.

And no, my ability to play more hasn't made me a better player. But I'm still having fun.

I started throwing at age 51. I was terrible, like most newbs. After 6 years of 3 or 4 rounds a week, I am actually half way decent.

I will not likely ever be able to throw 400 feet, but I can consistently throw it out to about 300 feet or so.

Throwing 400 or 500 feet would be nice, but in reality, there are not that many disc golf holes that require that kind of arm. My home course (Hiller Park) only has 4 holes over 400 feet and only 1 over 500 feet. Most of the 90+ courses I've played are the same.

An old golf adage comes to mind: Drive for show.....Putt for dough.....

Ah yup!

I'm 57, 58 next month. Been playing... what's it say up there at the top? Oh yeah, over twenty years. The first five or so was hack golf with friends.

I got longer up to about 55, but now it is finally falling off. By longer, I was working up from bad to acceptable. Most of that was learning technique and studying the pros (even now, my longest throws, when everything clicks, are up around 400 feet). All good accept distance isn't the key. As my distance started to fade, I started to work on accuracy. That process actually brought back some distance, and learning my throw and game is making me a better player.

I started playing two years ago at 48 and I'm 50 now. I play a lot. I'm getting better every day. But I had a lot of room to improve.

I started playing two years ago at 48 and I'm 50 now. I play a lot. I'm getting better every day. But I had a lot of room to improve.

Same here but I'm 56. Throw distance drivers around 325ish, max 350ish. Pretty fit and hoping to hit 400 some day, am I dreaming?

72 in August. Late 60's I noticed some physical bumps in the road, but I throw lower scores now than I ever did. Keep it simple, stick with good discs for you, keep it in the fairway and throw for good landing zones for the next throw.

At 58 I'm the youngest in my usual three some, but we always invite the young big arms to join us. We learn from watching them crushing drives, and they learn from our experience. Win Win. So how does age matter? We're all out there having fun, enjoying the game.

i am 52 and i still have a guy i play with constantly beat me and he is 64 so age is no matter

Great thread. Just getting back into the game after a second lengthy lay off and looking forward to seeing how the rust shakes off. I was never much of a bomber as I played DG more recreationally in my younger days and YouTube did not exist at that time so there was not easy access to technique videos. This led to more of a home grown throwing technique and tips from friends who were also just starting out so there were some struggles.

When I reentered the game after my first lengthy layoff, there was more online content available and my technique improved. Still not much of a bomber, but I was able to get better distance more consistently and discs to behave the way they were designed rather than random flight patterns caused by poor technique.

As I am preparing to step back into the game, again, I am amazed by the content now available online. The quality of the content and production capabilities have greatly improved over the past 7 to 8 years. While nothing beats the sweat equity of being out there throwing discs to improve your technique, it sure helps to have some guidance to avoid common mistakes and to see how things are supposed to be done.

As I set out to start throwing again, I am changing my approach to my bag setup. While I have a ton of discs in exotic plastics from my earlier stints, I decided to start out fresh with a bag of mostly DX plastic. Starting at the Top end of the bag, 3 Leopard3 in stepped weights, 2 Wombat3 in stepped weights, 3 vRoc in stepped weights, 2 Colt in stepped weights, 2 Novas (XT) at max weight, 1 Hydra (R Pro), and 2 Champion Rhyno at max weight.

The Hydra and Rhynos are holdovers from my previous stint. Every course near me has a ton of water so I figured a floater and cheaper discs were the way to go until I can regain some confidence. I am also doing what I should have done years ago, working with less molds and using multiple copies at different weights so I can learn the discs better and find the weights that work best for me. In the past, I carried so many different molds that I never truely learned each disc and each throw was a new experience with a disc that might only get thrown once or twice a round.

So, what plastic are you guys chucking? I would be interested in seeing what discs are working for my fellow "old guys" and how you are setting up your bags. Great tip on getting a cart. Probably my next purchase once I get some time in with my small bag and start to expand the bag.

Last edited:
SkyDog, I assume you're asking about faster discs given what you already bag. Amongst my Innova loving friends, lightweight Roadrunners, Sidewinders, Valkyries, Archons and Wraiths all remain popular. Amongst distance drivers, lightweight Shrykes are favored along with Terns. Under stability and lighter weights are the recurring theme. I really like Innova's GStar plastic, btw. My bag is mostly Trilogy discs so I favor the Westside King, Destiny, Northman and the Dynamic Discs Escape. I throw them all forehand and backhand. I have had some of my longest throws with lighter discs, but don't bag them because I've had some of my wildest throws with those same discs.

Last edited:
The good news is there's lots of potential still there among new older players to improve their skill level to get close to or exceed these "declining" pro skill levels at any age.

I have definitely seen this as well. Seems like the relatively healthy, injury free, older players new to the sport have an advantage compared to the older dudes who have playing for a long time and might have had injuries, health issues, etc, causing their skill set to diminish.

I have definitely seen this as well. Seems like the relatively healthy, injury free, older players new to the sport have an advantage compared to the older dudes who have playing for a long time and might have had injuries, health issues, etc, causing their skill set to diminish.

I will agree with this to a degree.

One of the disadvantages of playing for a long time with a diminishing skill set is that playing for a long time ingrains the memories of what you used to be able to do. Meaning that, you have fashioned your game to always driving/ throwing a certain distance, and from there break it down to what distances and situations you feel comfortable throwing your fairways, mids, and approaches. Now, everything changes.

What used to be a putter drive suddenly seems a lot longer because your discs do not seem to throw as far, so now do you use a mid or fairway? What used to be an easy par three because you were able to crush 350-400 or more and then had less than 50-100 foot upshot, suddenly becomes a scary par because now you are 100-150 feet away and not used to throwing such longer upshots.

When your skillset diminishes, it can be very frustrating because you know you used to be able to make that shot. Now you are relearning your game just as much as a new player is discovering it for the first time, except there can be a higher level of frustration on your part versus a new player who still only sees potential. The only advantage you still have is that you understand angles, footwork, etc; now it is just a matter of readjusting your body (age or injury) to meet what you know it should be able to still do.

Latest posts