• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does thick rough take away from a quality course?

I welcome thick rough---it weeds(heh) out the posers and whiners, and allows for a new "what do you do with found discs?" ethical-delimma thread to be started anew every week/day/smoke break/third beer. :wall:

Long grass is commonly found in nature. I appreciate courses that incorporate thick roughs at some point during an 18 hole round. A course is not truly "well-balanced" without this key natural challenge.

When you throw in weeds that are 6 feet tall it's annoying, in fact I avoid certain courses because of it. You are guaranteed to lose a disc or two without excellent spotting. If they just took a tractor through even once a year it would help greatly making the courses more playable.

I don't feel it takes away from the quality at all. If all it is is rough, i.e. little to no fairway, then yes. That takes away the fun of it.

My favorite holes at Renny all have bad rough patches, which makes them even more fun. Granted, when I shank a drive and go in there it's not very fun..

And my discs are commonly found (by others) in that natural long grass.

Donations to the disc gods are greatly appreciated. Everyone has donated plenty!

When you throw in weeds that are 6 feet tall it's annoying, in fact I avoid certain courses because of it. You are guaranteed to lose a disc or two without excellent spotting. If they just took a tractor through even once a year it would help greatly making the courses more playable.

Jeez, that rough is over my head! How do you throw through that mess? I'd love to see a picture of this 6ft rough. Long grass OB tends to be shorter around these parts.

Jeez, that rough is over my head! How do you throw through that mess? I'd love to see a picture of this 6ft rough. Long grass OB tends to be shorter around these parts.
Mesic prairie of the Midwest, bluestem and goldenrod are two of the usual suspects. With good soil and plenty of sun, both can go 6' or better.

Ill get some lovely pictures of that (*#$&^(*&^@WQ#*@&)(_*@#!!!!!! for all of you not lucky enough to enjoy swimming through plant growth.

There is a course here in MS that has a hole where the fairway is about 5 feet wide and has thick brush and thorns on either side. Not a fun hole. I do not mind rough at all but hitting that fairway is a beast and getting in the rough means shedding blood if you want your disc back. Someone needs to take a bush hog to that death trap and see if the thorns can be eliminated.

Other than this one hole on that one course I have not had a problem with throwing from the rough other than the standard not liking the shot that got me there in the first place.

Just played Eastway Park here in CLT yesterday. It's one of these courses, fairly open for the area, and several large areas of really rough rough that come into play on say 1/3 of the holes...I'd guess nearly impossible to really stay on top of this time of year, I mean it's not a neglected course.

I personally wouldn't ding a course for harsh rough (to a point...neglect is neglect) because in a sense it's what makes a treeless area more golf rather than just another distance comp.

But I will say, Eastway, which I like a lot, is somewhat less fun in summer growth riot conditions.

The Edge, and I think it's a course at Westshore Community College in western Michigan where we vacation every year, have roughs over 6 ft. It's a combination of saplings and grass and I look forward to playing them every year.

I agree that the rough can shape a fairway, but there are limits to it's positive attributes. The rough surrounding the fairways at my hometown course (Kincaid) is so thick that you can blindly walk passed a moose and not even know it. It is doable enough from the short tees, but long tees are mostly blind teepads and require spotters. If you can make it out of there without losing a disc you should consider yourself lucky. I believe this reduces this particular course rating by .5-1.0 point/discs.

Latest posts