• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs don't belong on disc golf courses

who drives their vehicle only 6,200 miles a year?

When my mother was alive, that is about how far she drove. She would drive to work and back, and that was it. I would take her to the store, or run her errands for her.

I ran into a guy on a course a couple of months ago. His dog ran up to me and jumped on me, it was a big dog so his paws were on my shirt. Unfortunately, it was muddy outside and the dog got mud all over my shirt. The owner laughed at first then apologized. I was letting him play through, so I waited till he picked up his bag to walk away and I smeared mud on his shirt. I laughed, then I apologized.

I have a hard time believing this. You didn't really do this did you?

Parks allow Dogs, however all parks have leash laws. So your dog should be on a leash. However if I am there and I have the whole park to myself as I usually do working second shift playing disc golf while all of you are at work. I will let my dog run around and get some exercise since noone actually enforces the leash law.

Last edited:
Dogs belong everywhere

I play with multiple people who bring their dogs, my brother and myself included. I also play with plenty of people who don't bring dogs obviously, none of whom has ever said anything negative about us bringing them. On the contrary, most wish they could bring their own dogs, or at least enjoy having the dog there just because dogs make everything better, and they make great disc caddys! And then there's the obvious plus of keeping people we don't like away from us, namely people who don't like dogs;)

Attachments

• 7825.jpg
    7825.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 53
I play with multiple people who bring their dogs, my brother and myself included. I also play with plenty of people who don't bring dogs obviously, none of whom has ever said anything negative about us bringing them. On the contrary, most wish they could bring their own dogs, or at least enjoy having the dog there just because dogs make everything better, and they make great disc caddys! And then there's the obvious plus of keeping people we don't like away from us, namely people who don't like dogs;)

I love dogs.

I hate when people I play with bring their dogs.

I will gladly stay away from you and your crew.

Depends on the dog and the owner I suppose. I've been bitten twice. Both times the owner was texting. If you're gonna take your animal out into public be responsible. Otherwise, give the pet to someone else. That includes dootie duty. I sometimes practice in a public park. Not a dog park. Dog crap everywhere. Of course I've seen worse parents and kids. Same thing. If you're gonna have kids, be responsible. Otherwise get em tied and spare the rest of us. I don't include being noisy in this, kids are noisy and should be. I'm talking breaking public park fixtures while mom and dad watch.

In general, I agree with Hampstead though. Leave your dog at home. If you want to take your dog to the park do so and play with the dog, not your disc.

Last edited:
I love dogs, I like having them around so I don't mind when my friends bring theirs. Most are well behaved. I don't bring mine anymore because she's a alpha female and doesn't interact well with other dogs. I have had a few experiences with unleashed dogs on the course picking up my disc. That pisses me off. If your dog does this, keep 'em on an freaking leash, it's a disc golf course. I said that to one guy, and he tells me in 3 years playing the course I was the first one who had ever complained. I told him 'yeah..sure". I've played over 1000 rounds out there and never seen him or his dog before, or since.

I have played one round with a guy who brought his dog. He let her off her leash and we spent more time chasing the dog down, looking after it, getting it to stop chasing squirrels and other dogs than we did disc golfing. He finally put her on the leash but I had to hold the leash for him while he threw or the dog would have been all over the place anyway. Never again. Nothing wrong with dogs, I just don't think they mix well with disc golf in general. I'm sure there are exceptions, but based on my limited experience, I won't disc golf with someone if they want to bring their dog.

My only beef with dog owners are those who let their dogs run free and then say, when the dog approaches me, "Don't worry, he's nice." That's good and all, but 1)I'm not a dog person and give off all the wrong signals and 2) you're definition and expectations for nice and mine probably aren't the same.

It's my personal space -- especially if the dog is making physical contact with me -- and I don't want to share it with your "nice" but intruding dog.

Wow. you must really like dogs. You just joined the site to make that post.

My only beef with dog owners are those who let their dogs run free and then say, when the dog approaches me, "Don't worry, he's nice." That's good and all, but 1)I'm not a dog person and give off all the wrong signals and 2) you're definition and expectations for nice and mine probably aren't the same.

It's my personal space -- especially if the dog is making physical contact with me -- and I don't want to share it with your "nice" but intruding dog.

You are the reason that the last dog I took everywhere, I specifically trained to NOT walk up to people without my OK. I really wish more people trained their dogs to behave in public.

well, not you specifically.. but...

Last edited:
I don't take my dog to the course unless it's early in the morning and no one is in the park. She gets too hyper and out of control with other people around. She also hates other female dogs (imagine that) and will fight them. Other than that, she is fine.

I prefer not to play in groups that have a dog, because it seems to take a ton of energy to concentrate if the dog is always in the way. It's like having to babysit someone else's kids when you don't have kids of your own.

Funny story when I was course bagging around Knoxville, this huge Mastodon walked up to me slowly and jumped up to hug me leaving me covered in slobber. The owner apologized. I was laughing. Told her it's no big deal. All animals seem to love me.

Last edited:

HOLY NECRO BUMP BATMAN

:doh: