• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs on the DG Course

This is probably the most annoying thing that I can think of while on the course, is a dog WITHOUT a leash and a careless owner. Dogs running around aimlessly picking up peoples discs and running off with them and potentially ruining them is BS. Not to mention they dump all over the place and more than likely the owners don't pick it up. I am a dog lover but the course is one place that they should be brought to without a leash.

My buddy in Indy had a collie mix that he would bring along to the disc course & usually let run. He kept a leash in the bag for when the cops would say hey leash your dog (cop shop was attached to the park that the course was in) sometimes they made him, sometimes they didn't, this was a very well mannered dog. She would run out to his disc & sit by it, awesome golfing partner.

I bring my Husky/Wolf mix occasionally but usually when someone I'm shooting with can hold the leash. I was never worried about my dog, but the strays that run the Downtown Indy area are what kept me from bringing her too often. I'm totally against dog fighting & dont want mine to get hurt but in a one on one I'll take my dog over any pit, she's nice as can be but if she feels threatened (takes alot, & a human has never tripped her trigger finger) She'll go nuts lol. I've seen her stomp some giant raccoons in the backyard numerous times. & really it would never be one on one cuz I'd kick the crap out of a unleashed dog that comes at mine with aggression. & it's owner if they were around & found my actions less than acceptable.

I used to take my Dalmation out on the course. He is long gone now but he still holds my number 2 favorite animal related occurance on a course.

Its funny how some people are except from the law. If they do not enforce the leash law people will break the law.

Ahh, but we all feel like we're exempt from the law sometimes, don't we? Who hasn't gone 5 or 10 (or 20) over the speed limit, for instance, or turned right on red without coming to a full stop?

And just as there's a difference between going 5 over or 50 over, or blowing through a stop sign in busy residential area as opposed to not quite stopping at a red light before turning right, there's a difference between taking your dog to a crowded course with NO DOGS displayed prominently at the first hole, and still letting your dog run amok, or letting your friendly, obedient dog off the leash on a sparsely played course where the chance of coming within 200 feet of anybody else is slim, and easily controlled.

And just as there's a difference between going 5 over or 50 over, or blowing through a stop sign in busy residential area as opposed to not quite stopping at a red light before turning right, there's a difference between taking your dog to a crowded course with NO DOGS displayed prominently at the first hole, and still letting your dog run amok, or letting your friendly, obedient dog off the leash on a sparsely played course where the chance of coming within 200 feet of anybody else is slim, and easily controlled.

Hear him! :)

The rule of law is critical to civilization, but rules are made for us, not us for them.

Common courtesy is what it all boils down to. There is no one "rule" to work off of all the time. Every course has a different feel. Know where you are before you let them run free. What works at one course may not be kosher at all somewhere else. Just like you get layered up to go play in inclimate weather, same goes for golfing with your dog. Have certain items for their maintenance:
1) Leash (mando on some courses, Just In Case on others)
2) Poop bags (any will do, some parks provide em, use your beer bag if you have to)
3) Water (dogs get thirsty too, not all courses have H2O)
4) Treats (one way to keep them close is to reward them for doing so, and in case they beg for someones beef jerky)
5) Toy (This could be a ball, their own disc or even just a stick)

I also recommend feeding them before going to the course, so they will not be as distracted by their belly while you are out there.

Just respect the people around you and the level of dog interaction appropriate for your course.

Common courtesy is what it all boils down to. There is no one "rule" to work off of all the time. Every course has a different feel. Know where you are before you let them run free. What works at one course may not be kosher at all somewhere else. Just like you get layered up to go play in inclimate weather, same goes for golfing with your dog. Have certain items for their maintenance:
2) Poop bags (any will do, some parks provide em, use your beer bag if you have to)
4) Treats (one way to keep them close is to reward them for doing so, and in case they beg for someones beef jerky)

I also recommend feeding them before going to the course, so they will not be as distracted by their belly while you are out there.

Just respect the people around you and the level of dog interaction appropriate for your course.

Finally someone with some common sense. Good job Djza!!!!

Really though it comes down to one thing. If a park says "dogs must be on leash" put them on a leash. Don't be the owner that says " I can't believe my dog bit your kid in the face or hurt your dog like that"!!!!! No matter how trained you think your dog is they can and will make you look stupid. I have 3 60 lb plus dogs and generally the wife will walk them as we play. Don't put us in the situation that we have to either leave the course or defend our dogs because your otherwise good dog did not pay attention to you. Just plan common courtesy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Thank you! Finally a little common sense.
I personally am a "spirit of the law" person and not at all a "letter of the law" person. If my dog is causing a problem, then I'll leash him. If not, then he gets to be a dog and I'll enjoy getting to play some disc golf while giving the dog some exercise at the same time.

I have taken my Pit Bull out on the course with me on a Leash. The problem is other people have there dogs running lose and they come running up to my dog and she gets scared and will attack a on coming dog. There are signs at every entrance of the park saying the law is to have dogs on leashes.
I have almost gotten in fights telling people that there dogs need to be lashed and the dog park is down the street. The police dept will not enforce the law either.

If your dog has emotional issues to the point that it will attack a friendly dog that comes up to say hi and sniff, then you shouldn't even have that dog on a disc golf course to begin with. The same thing could happen at a dog park.
It's up to the owner to know what situations their dog can handle. If I knew that my dog would react that way to unleashed dogs, then I'd make sure to keep her away from unleashed dogs. I sure wouldn't get in arguments with others about it who would otherwise be enjoying their round of golf with their dogs if it weren't for running into you.
If the police aren't doing anythying about it either, that should tell you something.
If the unleashed dogs are being aggressive towards you or your dog then that is a whole other story and then the police would definitely do something about it.

I ain't never seen a ball golfer ever have his dog with him/her. Take your dog elsewhere and spend time with it. Jog/rollerblade/hike,k your dog needs steady exercise/ not waiting for you to throw and sniffing the crotch of the players on the tee. I love my dog but would NEVER EVER take her to the course.

I ain't never seen a ball golfer ever have his dog with him/her. Take your dog elsewhere and spend time with it. Jog/rollerblade/hike,k your dog needs steady exercise/ not waiting for you to throw and sniffing the crotch of the players on the tee. I love my dog but would NEVER EVER take her to the course.

I guess you want all the courses to be private and have memberships.
We play at public parks because it's free and all are welcome there. Including those with dogs and mothers with crying babies.

If your dog has emotional issues to the point that it will attack a friendly dog that comes up to say hi and sniff, then you shouldn't even have that dog on a disc golf course to begin with.
If the unleashed dog was on a leash it wouldn't matter what emotional issues my leashed dog has. My dog is a male dominant dog. He puts up with our other male dog but he does put up with a stray dog coming into his territory. It blows me away how people who are breaking the law by having there dog off the leash want to put the blame on the person who has their dog on a leash. It's no different if you came and stuck your face in mine freindly or not I will react to it, some dogs are no different. If a stray(any dog off a leash in a park with a leash law) comes up to me I take it as a threat because 1.I do not know the dog and 2. it is not under control and 3 it is not on a leash. I will take my dog to any park I want because I always have control of my dog so all I can say is make sure you have control of yours because I will defend my dog and his right to be in that park under my control unlike the dog off the leash not under your control. They have leash laws for a reason believe it or not and it probably has something to do with a person who thought their dog was the best trained and nicest dog out there that bit somebody. Really this post proves the old addage that there are no stupid dogs just stupid owners of dogs!:rolleyes:

Sorry I went on a rant here but I am very passionate about this subject. I show respect to other dog owners and non dog owning people in the park by keeping my well trained dogs on a leash and i just wish other people who think that they are special and can let their dog run free would show me and my family the same amount of respect and courtesy. I don't think that is asking to much!!!

Last edited:
I sure wouldn't get in arguments with others about it who would otherwise be enjoying their round of golf with their dogs if it weren't for running into you.
I will!!! because maybe i could have otherwise have enjoyed my game of disc golf if they would have not broke the law by having their dog off a leash. Don't go to the police go to the animal control officer, they do care and as a matter of fact they will give warnings and tickets people who have their dogs off a leash.

my stance on the subject is this...i know dogs are cool and its fun to play with them but respect the other people at the course by following the rules and keeping them leashed.

I guess you want all the courses to be private and have memberships.
We play at public parks because it's free and all are welcome there. Including those with dogs and mothers with crying babies.

I just want all courses to be enjoyed by everyone.

if one guy has a nice trained dog off his leash and a guy with a crazy dog who retrieves other peoples discs and who runs up to other groups and jumps on them sees that people have dogs off their leash, he is gonna let his devil dog free. its a chain reaction. everytime i have encountered the crazy dogs the owners always say "well i always see people with dogs off the leash". maybe your dog will stay close and be obedient, but the rules are there for a reason. now if you are in a park that has no leash laws, do whatever you want. all im saying is if you are in a park that has the laws present, follow the rules.

I'm not advising disobedience of posted park rules. I just want to make sure we all understand that not all dogs are instinctively unruly. At the same time, "everybody else is doing it" is not an excuse for poor judgment.

But I'm not interested in getting all passionate about this. Just use sound judgment, and take responsibility for your and your companions' actions.