• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Dynamic Discs: DEFENDER, OS distance driver.

Got a few throws in with a max weight Lucid Defender I just picked up, pretty big fan so far. Flight similar to my most OS Giant, straight followed by a great big fade and generous skip, but it's even more comfortable in the hand. Something about the rim depth and bluntness of the wing seem to complement each other.

It feels good enough to me to want to throw only a Defender, but I'm gonna wait until it becomes easily available in Fuzion/Bio before I make any decisions about it taking over the sole distance driver role. I've got a nice lineup of Giants and Worlds in a variety of stages of wear, so I'm hoping Bio starts out less stable and seasons in quickly, and Fuzion will be a nice in between Lucid and Bio. Time will tell.

I'm thinking the same thing... i need to get a bio and try the out for sure. does it feel like the flashing was rolled over to the side more like the prodigy "easy release" ChainoutStar?

I'm thinking the same thing... i need to get a bio and try the out for sure. does it feel like the flashing was rolled over to the side more like the prodigy "easy release" ChainoutStar?

I don't have any experience with Prodigy drivers unfortunately, but I can say that the inner lip on the Defender feels more rounded off than the Giant and started with less flashing than most Trilogy drivers I've thrown.

I still haven't gotten my hands on a Bio Defender, but have thrown the Lucid a bit.

People say that this is the mellow Enforcer. I kind of understand the logic, but I'd rather say it is the Boss when the Enforcer is the Destroyer.

Biggest issue for me is that the rim on the Defender feels substantially wider than on Enforcer. I feel like the Bio Enforcer is way more controllable just like what people say about Destroyers.

It will be interesting to see if Trilogy pros will switch to Defender as the Enforcer has already become very popular. I kinda doubt it based on the Destroyer preference over Bosses.

Can anybody comment if the Lucid is more OS than Fuzion? Fuzions felt great for straight to big fade shots with good HSS but not crazy (0, not +0.5 or something). I could see it having a long useful lifespan, I would just be concerned about how it holds up in a headwind after a while...the only reason I'd be concerned is it already seems straight and long (until the fade), which are good traits.

Basically I'm wondering if those who have used these for a bit think they could be the OS disc in the bag (hold hyzers, hold hyzers in wind) aside from "long Firebird"/utility shots?

Can anybody comment if the Lucid is more OS than Fuzion? Fuzions felt great for straight to big fade shots with good HSS but not crazy (0, not +0.5 or something). I could see it having a long useful lifespan, I would just be concerned about how it holds up in a headwind after a while...the only reason I'd be concerned is it already seems straight and long (until the fade), which are good traits.

Basically I'm wondering if those who have used these for a bit think they could be the OS disc in the bag (hold hyzers, hold hyzers in wind) aside from "long Firebird"/utility shots?

I would think it would be more OS in lucid being that all the molds are more OS in lucid compared to biofusion. But that's just what I was told. Never experimented with both.

But yea this is a great OS distance driver for the bag

I'll bump with the same question now a month or so later: Can anyone compare Lucid to Biofuzion in these?

I have thrown 2 biofuzions a few times, and they are awesome. I'd say 13/5/#/3.5 where the HSS # in one is +0 and the other is -0.25. Enough variation that one gets the hint of turn and gets ~25' more distance, whereas the other will hold any hyzer angle and I would feel comfortable throwing it in the wind. The fade is hefty but happens with glide; it doesn't knife in. Basically to me they fly like the World should, aside from being not being speed 14 (I prefer the Defender feel too).

I am wondering if the Lucids would be more on the HSS = +0 side, plus with the benefit of longer break in than biofuzion so they last as a wind fighter. The only Enforcer I have thrown was a Lucid and it flew like 12/4/+1/4...it was way too OS for me. Basically I am looking for the domey Firebird flight (stiff straight to fade) rather than FAF flight (C-shaped, starting to drift soon after release).

And...more people should try these. At least in Biofuzion I can say that they are very good for glidey straight to fade.

The Lucid is definitely more OS than the Bio. I wouldn't say that they are Lucid Enforcer OS though. Probably exactly what you're looking for.

I've been throwing the Defender quite a bit lately, but I still don't "bag it".

The reason is that I've got two 169g Biofuzion Defenders that are really nice straight with fade discs in calm days. However, whenever the wind picks up they become really unpredictable. In moderate winds they are quite flippy but every now and then they still have a dumpy fade at the end. I really have no idea what this disc will do in headwind.

The disc I do bag for this shot is the Bio Enforcer. I have one that is quite beat and will be straight in calm conditions. When it gets windy I know that it will turn slowly and hold that line. I also have another newer one that is OS in calm and reliably straight in headwind. So to me the Enforcer is just more reliable and predictable, no matter what the conditions are.

The Enforcers are 171g, but I would be really surprised if it was just the weight. Does anyone else have similar experiences? :confused:

The two bio's my friend has I've thrown quite a bit. Very good glidey straight to fade discs in calm, longer than an OS Destroyer of similar stability with a more glidey fade. In some wind they will ride right a little but still always fade. Basically I'd say in calm they are a distance OS shot, and in wind thy are a confident distance golf shot. I would not trust them as a must not turn at all in wind disc, whereas the comparable Destroyer will never turn. But in calm or minor breeze I prefer the Defender for my arm. That's why I'm interested in the Lucid to see if it handles wind more consistently.

Do you find the bio enforcer as long in calm conditions?

The two bio's my friend has I've thrown quite a bit. Very good glidey straight to fade discs in calm, longer than an OS Destroyer of similar stability with a more glidey fade. In some wind they will ride right a little but still always fade. Basically I'd say in calm they are a distance OS shot, and in wind thy are a confident distance golf shot. I would not trust them as a must not turn at all in wind disc, whereas the comparable Destroyer will never turn. But in calm or minor breeze I prefer the Defender for my arm. That's why I'm interested in the Lucid to see if it handles wind more consistently.

Do you find the bio enforcer as long in calm conditions?

I feel the same way with the Denfender. I have several in Lucid too, and while the heavy weights are more OS, they are not what I would call a "wind-fighter." I still bag a Predator or FB for those shots.

Enforcers would probably work, but they were too much for my arm, and I throw pretty far.

Has anyone tried a Prime Defender? Would love to break one of those in nicely.

I picked up a couple of BioFuzion Defenders the other day to mess around with since my season is winding down. My main distance driver the past 2-3 years has been the S-PD2. My power range for my aging arm is in the 375-400 range. After the first few throws with the Defender, I must say I was impressed. It flies like my pop top S-PD2's...only easier to find than my pop top S-PD2's. I am going to continue to mess around with it as a secondary in the bag, but it definitely show's promise. I could see this not being a stong headwind driver, but it does seem to do well with moderate headwinds. I am curious to try a Lucid version. I have tried the Enforcer and that thing was way too much beef for my arm(Like bubble rim C-PD2's). Those Lucid's are wicked overstable. I think DD got it right with this mold. I bet a lot of the DD players will be bagging this mold next season as their primary distance driver.

And update to my defenders. I Bag to now one lucid 174 and one fusion 174. I have had the lucid a little longer than the fusion and it's my go to driver right now rip it out nice and flat and it stay straight turns to a little and then dumps left. The fusion one is a little more over stable. I don't know if it's just the fusion one I got or what. It also could have a lot to do with me skipping the lucid off of the parking lot at my local course A few times.

I still have yet to get a bio defend her but I plan on doing that soon. And I would love to try out a prime one.

In regards to wind definitely not a win fighter but it will hold its own in a little wind. When I feel a big headwind it's going in the bag and I'm grabbing my lucid enforcer

Could anyone compare the Defender to the Giant? Is the Defender that much more OS? Or are they pretty similar?

Has anyone tried a Prime Defender? Would love to break one of those in nicely.

I have a Prime Defender and it is board flat and super overstable. I've only had it out for a few rounds though. I can throw it maybe 300 feet on a full rip (and I can throw GStar Destroyers close to 400). Anyway, right now I'm using the Prime Defender to exercise my (terrible) forehand and for skip shots and things I might normally use a Firebird for. We'll see where it ends up after a few months.

Could anyone compare the Defender to the Giant? Is the Defender that much more OS? Or are they pretty similar?

I have not thrown a ton of either, or in the same plastics...but I feel the Defender is less OS than the Giant. I throw straight drivers in the 400 range (so OS ones shorter than that), I find Bio Defenders good straight to fade, but they will ride in wind or hold a flex for a while...predictable golf discs but they will show turn with power. Lucid Defender is like a good new OS Destroyer that is very beefy but not a stupid FAF brick. I have only tried a couple of Giants, a swirly TP was more OS than all the Defenders I have tried, and Elasto was ridiculous.

I have a Prime Defender and it is board flat and super overstable. I've only had it out for a few rounds though. I can throw it maybe 300 feet on a full rip (and I can throw GStar Destroyers close to 400). Anyway, right now I'm using the Prime Defender to exercise my (terrible) forehand and for skip shots and things I might normally use a Firebird for. We'll see where it ends up after a few months.

My prime Defender is flat, firm, and OS as well. Great baseline plastic, especially for a high speed driver. Mine started out maybe even more OS than my Lucid but after several very solid tree hits (whoops), it's holding straighter longer before the big fade kicks in. Can't wait to get some more rounds of wear on mine.

Just got two bios in the mail. They look nice but the dome worries me a bit.
They star to dome up a bit then flatten off a little. Just wondering what these are suppose to look like. I know the prime/base plastic is almost always flat top.

I'm getting out of the destroyer game after buying two rounds of star that was just way to os.

I expect my domes to perfect for that great flight but every disc is bit different and knowing what to look for is key.

Thanks.

Latest posts