• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dynamic Discs Ranger Backpack Review

Was at a tourney yesterday with a few of these. It was my first time up close and personal with them. Definitely a pro/con bag.

Pros:

I tried one on that was full. It's definitely a very light bag.

I do like how it's oriented. I also don't ever use two bottle holders. So the single holder and side putters was a big plus for me.

The bottle holder does fit a 32 oz. nalgene just fine.

The style is not AS boxy as it looks in pictures. It's not a bad looking bag up close.

Cons:

All of them that I saw had bulging issues with bigger diameter discs. Not like "these don't fit" bad, but definitely a huge oversight. An extra 1/2" depth wouldn't have killed them.

The straps are narrow. That might be a preference thing, but I felt like no matter how light the bag is, those straps would start digging after a full day.

There are more of both, but that's my opinion on only about 15 minutes of time with them. An OK first offering, but I think DD is smarter than what they put out. I hope future runs receive some tweaks and they could be solid options.

I read through and didn't see if this was covered or not, but how does the bottle holder fit a big 32oz Nalgene type of bottle? I would hope that since there is only the one bottle holder that it can fit a large bottle :)

Have One Of Those InMy House, The Ranger holds It Perfectly.

Just got mine in! First impressions, I really like the design. I see what some people are talking about with bulging, but doesn't seem like an actual issue. An entire half inch more of space would really not hold the discs well at all. I am sure that it will probably break in and stretch some as well. I have 21 discs in the main disc compartment, although they seem rather tight, they all move in and out rather easily, even on the far ends of the line. The bag really has a good low center of gracity, sits very well, very steady, even when rocking it back and fourth. The top compartment is very spacious. I wouldn't have any problem fitting a sweatshirt, or an entire rain suit into it. Testing it out right now I have three Pures and two Maces in there with room for snacks or whatever, no problem. Not to many cons come to mind at the moment. I would like to see the mini pocket/scorecard holder a little more elasticy, but as is I don't think a mini would fall out very easily. It would be great also to have another pocket similar to this one on the zippered pocket on the other side. That way you could hold two minis on one side and a scorecard or whatever on the other.

If the durability and weatherproffness on the bag is ok, it will be a winner for sure!

Also interested in how these are holding up for everyone. Looking to get into the backpack market soon and all info is appreciated!

So curious.. how's the bag treating every one now since they've had it for a little while?

My main concern was the statement about how if the bag is packed to capacity, it's hard to get the discs that are on the corners, out of the bag. Also the material.. how's that holding up?

Got mine in NC about 10 days ago and only carried it for about 3 rounds so far. Went from a Fade with Phenix straps to the Ranger. So far I am very happy. I carry about 18 discs in the main compartment and a few more in the top(about 24 total) with no problems. I carry my primary putter and mid in the putter pocket. I can see that if someone was carrying a Condor it could be an issue fitting in this bag. I like the multiple storage areas areas so that I can secure keys and iPod without issues. Bottle holder is more than adequate - I put a 32oz Powerade bottle in it with no problem. Very lightweight and I also like the extra padding for the back. Very well balanced when sitting unlike some complaints I have heard from locals concerning the Grip bags.

I had to send mine back after about a month, the haul handle threading was starting to break. Although I think it was a fluke and not a major issue, DD was quick to respond and sent a label to ship it back for free for a replacement. Other than that the bag has held up amazing in the Mountains of NC and went through several rounds without a problem.

I had to send mine back after about a month, the haul handle threading was starting to break. Although I think it was a fluke and not a major issue, DD was quick to respond and sent a label to ship it back for free for a replacement. Other than that the bag has held up amazing in the Mountains of NC and went through several rounds without a problem.

Awesome to hear they got it taken care of right away. DD seems like a great company to work with when it comes to those types of things.

Debating on doing a little "First Impression" video of the bag. There aren't very many reviews of the Ranger online and thought it'd be cool to make one about what my initial thoughts of the bag are since I just got it today and have only played 2 rounds with it.

Tried it out yesterday for the first time and the first impression of the bag was:

Great looking bag, Light and felt comfortable on the back.
Didnt think it was that hard to get the discs out from the sides either (But he didnt stuff the bag full either.)

Only really con i could find was that the shoulder pads was a bit thin and small.
otherwise a great bag for a great price.

and i always said that when u buy something new u play great for the first run.

They guy that bought the bag did a new personal record on the course with -5 on a par 59 course so my theory still holds up :thmbup:

Great looking bag, Light and felt comfortable on the back.
Didnt think it was that hard to get the discs out from the sides either (But he didnt stuff the bag full either.)

Only really con i could find was that the shoulder pads was a bit thin and small.
otherwise a great bag for a great price.

I have 16 in the main compartment, not hard at all to get discs in and out. I agree the shoulder straps could be a little better though.

Granted I haven't tried it yet, but I wonder if seat belt pads (for the strap) would work to help with the straps? If so, it would be an easy fix

They are all about the same, but Dynamic Discs has a 10% off cupon code that helps reduce the price. and free shipping for every order over $100

So curious.. how's the bag treating every one now since they've had it for a little while?

Also interested in how these are holding up for everyone. Looking to get into the backpack market soon and all info is appreciated!

Bag is holding up well so far. Granted it's still rather new. I am not easy on my bags by any means. I've been carrying it pretty loaded out with 18-20 discs in the main compartment, 2 putters, and then 3-5 more discs in the top compartment. I've carried it a few times with a full sized umbrella in the stool holder and a rain jacket up top. The bag rides very well. There are some rather grueling private courses around here, and the bag has been nice on those courses! I don't get what people are saying about the shoulder straps. Yes they are narrowish, and yes they are thin, but I don't feel it in the shoulders at all, even after some long rounds/multi round days. I'll even say that the gel straps I have on my Innnova Comp bag feel way worse at the end of the day.

I played in a pretty good rain with it yesterday, the bottom of the bag seemed to keep the water out well. The added advantage that you can open up a full sized umbrella and hold it in the stool holder is nice. Keeps your bag completely covered, and you don't have to hold the umbrella at all if you want!

My main concern was the statement about how if the bag is packed to capacity, it's hard to get the discs that are on the corners, out of the bag. Also the material.. how's that holding up?

I can cram about 21 discs in the bag and to me taking discs in and out, even on the extreme ends of the row aren't an issue. Yes it's tight, but it's not like it's some massive work to get a disc in and out. As far as materials go. I carried my Innova Comp. bag for a couple years with plenty of rough handling and no issues. I am sure this bag is as well made or better, with as good or better materials, so I'm not too concerned aside from some random catastrophe.

Last edited:
I recently had to return mine for warranty service, the haul handle on the bag started to break at the threading. When I talked to them though they took care of it and I have a new one arriving on Monday. Minor issue given how enjoyable the bag has been. I've carried moany of the others, and I have to say this bag has completely removed the back issues I have after a few rounds during a long tournement. Although the straps were an issue for me, now that i've used it for a bit, that issue is never in play. If it was an issue for anyone, you coult potentially put some extra padding in the form of seatbelt strap pads over the straps. Saw someone doing it during a round and it seemed pretty functional

Just got one of these and love it...there is only one thing that has come up in the forum, and i have noticed myself...the lower compartment is quite tight against the discs, and when stacked in will bulge the bag a bit. Is this going to warp the discs inside? Anyone else have some new opinions on the bag?