• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Emporia, Kansas to Host 2013 Worlds!

Wow, lots of irrational Kansas hate. If you want to bitch about how worlds were just in Kansas City recently or how Kansas isn't near where you live, that's cool, but OMG TORNADOES is kind of lame. Do tournaments in California lose particpents because there's an 8.5 earthquake every day? What about how they have cat 5 hurricanes in Florida twice a week?!

I'd like to hear more about the courses. . .

I watched the Glass Blown Open DVD and wasn't totally impressed with the courses - they seemed to be long, but very open and easyish (almost like PHX golf w/o the water). For those who have played in KS Emporia area, I am wrong? Were the videos misleading? How would you describe the courses that will be used?

Either way, DD will put on a great event and should be a great central location for a worlds

I'd like to hear more about the courses. . .

I watched the Glass Blown Open DVD and wasn't totally impressed with the courses - they seemed to be long, but very open and easyish (almost like PHX golf w/o the water). For those who have played in KS Emporia area, I am wrong?

I've only played the Jones courses, but that's the impression I walked away with, too. Not a whole lot of character compared to other places I've played.

Will they add more courses? Doesn't seem like enough for all the ams that will be there.

How does everybody know what courses, what dates, # of courses? Not listed on PDGA's site yet.

Having to wait a year for this is going to drive me nuts.

The emporia newspaper has a article courses are Jones west an east, peter pan,country club, municipal, an the emporia middle school

Eh ...

I'm not a big fan of the 'use our local golf courses for temp DG courses' idea. Any town can do that - and if you are only doing that when a tourney comes to town, the DG-centric 'culture' really isn't there as advertised. Should be good for local businesses though. Having lived in Missouri - I can certainly attest to the conservative, flat, and rather dull nature of the state of Kansas.

This is big news for the small Midwestern town. Dynamic Discs will be the tournament sponsor, obviously. I believe Jones West, Jones East, Peter Pan and Emporia Country Club will be used. Now discuss!

Edit: This will be Amateur Worlds, not Pro.

I played the Glass Blown this year and there wasn't much elevation except for the Emporia Country Club. I believe if they scale some of the long holes down and make them more "golfable" I'd really like to attend. OB can be challenging with a lot of the courses and they can make the pin placements in some technical spots. With the help of McCabe and some other local course designers, I think these courses will be very challenging with tons of risk/reward options.

Plus, the whole town backs the sport which is something most other larger cities don't have. I believe everyone will be welcomed and they will put on a big party with tons of extra events for the weekend. Especially since DD will be running it. If it's a bigger, better GBO then I encourage everyone to make the trip out. Not to mention you can come play Water Works Park in KC before you leave. :)

Big open flat courses don't produce the best all around World Champion, just the longest throwing, however, it seemed that interest was light this year and kudos for Kansas for stepping up!

Gotta love people who hate a place before they even visit. Do us a favor and don't come. We don't want your money or bad attitudes. We're here to have fun and play disc golf. These courses are not some Appalachian mountainous tree ridden two hundred footers but there is more to disc golf than those courses. There is plenty of tunnel shots and foliage for those who want to test all the shots required.

Twisters aren't going to be the problem it will be the high heat indexes and humidity. Should be interesting to see what they do to get the middle school course ready by 2013. Right now it's got missing holes and only works for ace race types of event.

Played in Topeka KS tournament July 2011. Heat index got up to 115. Not exaggerating. I called in sick the next day because I was so tapped out. Only 3rd time in 3 years.

I actually am looking forward to this...seriously.

I played GBO a couple years ago it was fun and the courses were fine. There was elevation/water and ob. What more can you want?

Latest posts