• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Entire Course Stolen

Does it say somewhere this course had actual baskets stolen? I couldn't find any specific course info. Tone poles can be pretty easy to remove. If this is the second time the course has been removed, at least tonals are easier and a whole lot cheaper to replace, but that doesn't solve the problem with the thieves (or vandals).

In a similar vein, I honestly kinda wonder if the local Park and Rec dept didn't just decide to pull the courses and chose not to tell the disc golf club. I mean, who else would take the mounts and fill in the holes too?

I'm thinking the same thing. Definitely would have required more than one person to steel 18 baskets over night. And why would thieves take the time to fill in the holes? Something fishy about this.

In relation to the article, and the DGCR map, there is nothing that really is "next" to Yukon College.

Looks like they WERE tonal holes, too:
http://www.whitehorsestar.com/Sports/disc-golf-group-dumbfounded-by-theft-of-targets
"Whitehorse disc golfers were "disappointed and hurt" to find a local course vandalized recently.
All 18 targets at the Takhini North Golf Course were removed earlier this month, as were two from the neighbouring Solstice course.
Whitehorse Disc Golf Association president Ryan Norquay said the targets were taken sometime during the second week of October.
The tonal targets were originally created using galvanized stovepipe, creating a sound when hit by a disc."

http://yukon-news.com/sports/missing-whitehorse-disc-golf-course/
"I believe they are taking it out because they don't want it there. A couple of people have stubborn feelings about the course and disc golf in general," said Ryan Norquay, president of the Whitehorse Disc Golf Association. "I don't have anything to go on, we just want some information."
A few of the targets, a.k.a. "tonals" or "tone cans," were first noticed missing on Oct. 11. By the end of last week all 18, as well as two from the neighbouring Solstice DGC, were gone. Not only were they pulled from the ground, most of the holes were then filled in with soil and smoothed over, said one source. The only remaining evidence there was a course was a single rebar anchor left in the ground.
"One was returned. I got a call from a school teacher ... and he had found tone can four behind his house in the woods," said Norquay. "That initiated a search party. Went around and searched deeper into the woods, couldn't find any other trace. They would have needed a vehicle or a wagon to haul these out of there. It would have been quite heavy, all of them together. A few hundred pounds for sure. Maybe they threw them in the woods and forgot about one when they came back to get them."

FB link to Solstice DGC:
https://www.facebook.com/Solsticediscgolfpark/

Seems like there is a dedicated group of folks trying to make some fun stuff happen up there and are getting stonewalled.
This aggression will not stand, man.

Last edited:
Glad it wasn't actual baskets. Thay should consider putting in a couple of those tonals back in on each course with trail cams as suggested. Just mark a tree for each hole for the rest of the course for now, to get everyone back out playing and really piss them off. Bust those b**tards!

my money is on Bigsky.

.... he figures if he's not out playing disc golf, no one else should be either.

Possibility it ticked off the indigenous people in some way like burial grounds?

Lotta native people up there.
The statement above was also my first thought, due to it happening to a course here in Washington years ago for that exact same reason.
Not just basket removal, but plugs and collars also excavated.

Imagine if its just a pissed off wifey.. I mean she would have to really be motivated. But bailing on jimmys tues ball games and missing church every sun sent her off the edge.

This really sad.

I lived in SouthEast Alaska for 14 years, part Haines, part Juneau. Often went to Whitehorse to play golf, snowmobile, and hang with some good folks, Nigel and Kelly at Paint'n Place auto body.

I'm not surprised to hear of this and would assume after witnessing theft stories in the area for more than a decade that some of the young angry at the world natives did it. They will steal anything not nailed down....

.....and claim the same old story they've been using for decades....."white man 'effed us".

Latest posts