• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESPN DG Broadcast

But available on ESPN3, no? I guess my point is that if you want a bigger audience for any kind of disc golf, something available on ESPN3 (i.e. not requiring a password) was definitely watched by some random non-disc-golfers. But yeah, I could be wrong about mainstream. And I still need to do some homework and watch the thing.

ESPN3 actually does require a password, via your cable provider. Otherwise, you can't watch. No cable, no watchy.

Higher definition picture and reliable signal are all you are getting when streaming on ESPN3. But they could have easily hired the same company and streamed it elsewhere.

The cost is not sustainable for anyone to be hiring this type of production on the reg. ADGT will not see any return in the investment, no matter what they say or think. (Anyone know where they got all the money to invest? The 'sponsors' couldn't have come close to paying upper 5 figures.)

There was no social media presence for this event, no promotion, no live scoring. It was a fart in the wind. Just as easy to stumble on DG on youtube while searching for golf.

FTR, I didn't watch. Couldn't bring myself to add to the view count.

No DiscLoser...according to ru4por theres only 45 people who dont like Salient. So everyone else must bow before them to "grow the sport"

Because ESPN you guys!

Watched a majority of the broadcast. I don't understand having Barry being a commentator and player. Seemed very amateur.

There sure are a lot of people complaining about the coverage... Honestly, it was some of the better quality live coverage of disc golf that I have seen. The problem with live coverage (like someone said earlier) is the amount of down time. Really needs coverage of other groups to fill in the gaps between play... but i guess that is still out of our paygrade. I still dont think it was worth the money that I imagine they payed for it (someone mentioned in the high 5 figures). Unless it got a ton of views compared to what the current youtube coverage gets. Does anyone know the viewcount on this? One highlight I noticed though... the hooters girls holding the scoreboard :D Maybe that will get some more interest in viewership of discgolf, and money from advertisers.

There sure are a lot of people complaining about the coverage... Honestly, it was some of the better quality live coverage of disc golf that I have seen. The problem with live coverage (like someone said earlier) is the amount of down time. Really needs coverage of other groups to fill in the gaps between play... but i guess that is still out of our paygrade. I still dont think it was worth the money that I imagine they payed for it (someone mentioned in the high 5 figures). Unless it got a ton of views compared to what the current youtube coverage gets. Does anyone know the viewcount on this? One highlight I noticed though... the hooters girls holding the scoreboard :D Maybe that will get some more interest in viewership of discgolf, and money from advertisers.

I agree on having coverage of say, the top women's card in conjunction with the men's card. It does nothing to grow the sport when people who have never watched the sport and 90 percent of the coverage of them walking to their discs.

The gallery was weak, commentator situation was horrible, and it just seemed overall novice. If we really want to excite new players to the game, it shouldn't be live events(yet), but edited broadcasts where there are great galleries, great crowd participation, and a dogfight between two or three players.

The gallery was weak, commentator situation was horrible, and it just seemed overall novice. If we really want to excite new players to the game, it shouldn't be live events(yet), but edited broadcasts where there are great galleries, great crowd participation, and a dogfight between two or three players.

Can't argue with any of that... 100% agree. That is kind of the approach DGWT took with their last event in europe... However, it has taken so long to see the coverage that personally I have kind of lost interest. still waiting to see the final 9 holes. I was initially not going to look at who won the event so that I could watch it without knowing the outcome. But after a couple weeks I finally just said screw it... That said, I really should not complain about something that is free. Overall, I think the progress that has been made with the video coverage of disc golf has been amazing over the last few years. This coverage on espn3 should be appreciated as another step forward for disc golf. Perhaps it will open the door for more opportunities.

It is NOT ESPN
It is NOT a mainstream broadcast

"Mainstream is current thought that is widespread...It includes all popular culture and media culture, typically disseminated by mass media. It is to be distinguished from subcultures and countercultures, and at the opposite extreme are cult followings and fringe theories."

By definition, it was mainstream.

ESPN3 actually does require a password, via your cable provider. Otherwise, you can't watch. No cable, no watchy.

Patently false. I don't have cable or satellite tv - my internet provider login gets me espn3.

There were good things and bad things about the event. Overall:
0UCULok.jpg

There sure are a lot of people complaining about the coverage... Honestly, it was some of the better quality live coverage of disc golf that I have seen. .

The hype wasn't that it would just be better than other live streams, but that it would be on par with golf tournaments and other mainstream, "ESPN" events.

Patently false. I don't have cable or satellite tv - my internet provider login gets me espn3.

There were good things and bad things about the event. Overall:
0UCULok.jpg

Not every internet-only provider gets you into ESPN3, though. In general a cable subscription is required. But regardless, a login of some sort IS needed to view the stream. For every non-golfer who might stumble on to the show as they're browsing ESPN3's offerings, there are a handful of disc golfers who might actually want to find it who are going to be slowed down if not turned away by the hassle of logging in (particularly with a user/pass they might not have handy). Overall, I bet the viewership numbers won't be any higher than any other live coverage we've seen to this point (DGP, Smashboxx, Spin, Dynamic, etc).

ESPN3 simply doesn't have any greater of a reach to a non-disc golf audience than Youtube. Other than the name recognition that comes with those four letters (and you pay handsomely for that recognition relative to the alternatives), there really is no advantage to ESPN3 over Youtube or any other live streaming portal.

I cant believe you people watched and supported these people. Disgusting.

Hey, everyone likes to rubberneck at a trainwreck. It was just about what I expected. I watched, I'm amused.

What's his nuts from Salient's attitude prior to the event was really the worst part. He kept talking about trying to grow the sport and what a great event and great opportunity this was, then went on to bash everyone who already provides great coverage, bashed the PDGA, bashed other companies, bashed then dismissed any complaints about his company, called people "trolls" (completely sidestepping any mistakes he or his company have made) then said "Aw, com'n guys! Even if you don't like me, give me a chance! This will be great!" (said Adolf to Poland)

Didn't watch. Not giving it the time of day. Tournament was put on by literally the worst company in disc golf who decided to thumb its nose at the PDGA and established disc golf in what amounts to a get-rich-quick scheme.

ESPN3 simply doesn't have any greater of a reach to a non-disc golf audience than Youtube. Other than the name recognition that comes with those four letters (and you pay handsomely for that recognition relative to the alternatives), there really is no advantage to ESPN3 over Youtube or any other live streaming portal.

As a sports fan, ESPN has become my go-to online resource. As for ESPN3, I've never had an Internet provider that didn't allow access (CA, TX, OK, and FL). Maybe I'm just lucky, but for sure ESPN3 offers more access than espnU or other channels. Maybe I'm weird, but like I said I've watched tons of curling, good amounts of cricket/rugby, and even some DOTA. I'm sure I'm not the only ESPN regular who checks occasionally to see what's available.

I watched part of this broadcast last night. There might have been more negatives than positives, but it was still disc golf (with good disc golfers no less, though they didn't play great and the course, though pretty, didn't feel like a disc golf course). As someone else mentioned, it would be amazing to get coverage like this of USDGC or some other event. Multiple camera crews could solve the "down time" problem, and that's how they do it at PGA events. I liked that the commentator wasn't walking with the card.

I realize that for now that's a dream, and it would be ridiculously expensive.

Hey, everyone likes to rubberneck at a trainwreck. It was just about what I expected. I watched, I'm amused.

What's his nuts from Salient's attitude prior to the event was really the worst part. He kept talking about trying to grow the sport and what a great event and great opportunity this was, then went on to bash everyone who already provides great coverage, bashed the PDGA, bashed other companies, bashed then dismissed any complaints about his company, called people "trolls" (completely sidestepping any mistakes he or his company have made) then said "Aw, com'n guys! Even if you don't like me, give me a chance! This will be great!" (said Adolf to Poland)

This. 100%.

The vid quality was great, that's about the only good thing about watching. The angles were wrong, the commentary was bad, the 40 person gallery was laughable for "#1 in Showcasing Disc Golf Events" and "foremost tour in quality". The baskets were hilarious. They looked like and caught like those Hive baskets, but I don't know if I want to make the Hive seem that bad lol. Grow the sport, 2 chunky Hooters girls at a time carrying around a little dry-erase leader board. The final 6 hole safari course was terrible. Let's throw at the same basket a few times. The on screen graphics were different than what the announcer was saying. They didn't even show the scores until half way through. On the very first hole the only thing I could think about was how Salient bashed the crap out of the youtube broadcasters and then their own cameras couldn't even follow the action and their announcer couldn't see anything so he was commenting blind about how close that upshot was to the basket (landing 65 feet from it).

"#1 in Showcasing Disc Golf Events" had 4 real pros. They only had a couple AMs cards up until the final couple weeks when they let their Salient Squad members join the tourney for, what has been speculated as, free or close to it, so that they can look like they filled the course. 70% of the AMs were Salient Squads that signed up in the last couple weeks

It might be just me but I don't think this did anything to grow the sport. Nothing was revolutionary as they promised over and over again. Over Hyped, Under-Whelmed.

Latest posts