• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESPN DG Broadcast

This. 100%.

"#1 in Showcasing Disc Golf Events" had 4 real pros. They only had a couple AMs cards up until the final couple weeks when they let their Salient Squad members join the tourney for, what has been speculated as, free or close to it, so that they can look like they filled the course. 70% of the AMs were Salient Squads that signed up in the last couple weeks

Wait. People actually joined the Salient Squad?

Wait. People actually joined the Salient Squad?

Yea, you'd be unpleasantly surprised how many of them there are. I have had well over a hundred of my customers alone either tell me they are or have logos on their pages that they are. People want to be "sponsored" and will take whatever they can get. Heck, I even "sponsor" 9 people LOL. I don't charge them though.

God... those baskets... jesus... so sad.

And Kevin, don't even TRY to say the Hive is as bad as those things... ;) I grabbed a Hive for $80 and while it's loud and kinda chincey, it still doesn't let putts blow straight through like those Failients. Damn that was atrocious!

Yea, you'd be unpleasantly surprised how many of them there are. I have had well over a hundred of my customers alone either tell me they are or have logos on their pages that they are. People want to be "sponsored" and will take whatever they can get. Heck, I even "sponsor" 9 people LOL. I don't charge them though.

I've always made the assumption that a sponsorship means the sponsored player gets something, not the other way around. Silly me.

I've always made the assumption that a sponsorship means the sponsored player gets something, not the other way around. Silly me.

Sponsorship is a two way street. Company gives free discs/support and player throws and reps brand for advertising purposes, or in Salient's case, they get your money and free advertising and the only thing the player receives is shame.

As a sports fan, ESPN has become my go-to online resource. As for ESPN3, I've never had an Internet provider that didn't allow access (CA, TX, OK, and FL). Maybe I'm just lucky, but for sure ESPN3 offers more access than espnU or other channels. .

You're paying for it indirectly via higher ISP fees:

ESPN3

Criticism[edit]
Some internet service providers have complained to the FCC that ESPN3 (along with other services that use the TV Everywhere system) violates the principles of network neutrality.[9][10][11] ESPN3 bundles its content into the fees of the participating ISP, regardless of whether or not users partake in accessing its content. If a particular ISP does not pay subscription fees to ESPN, users of that ISP are not granted access to ESPN3. There is no way for individual users to overcome these access restrictions as ESPN3 does not provide subscription options for individual users or any other non-ISP entities, and because most ISPs operate in specific territories without competition, a subscriber cannot access ESPN3 unless a participating ISP actually operates in the area. ESPN's only recommended solution in such a situation is to have the consumer lobby an ISP that is available in their area to add ESPN3 (this situation was partially mitigated when Dish Network, which is available nationwide, was added as a participating provider in 2014).

Time Warner Cable & RCN[12] do not allow internet-only and basic cable subscribers to access ESPN3; only those who subscribe to a standard cable tier or higher (and thus access ESPN's linear networks) can use the service. Thus, in these cases the cost of the service is bundled into the cable bill and not the Internet bill.

Availability
In the United States, the network is available to individuals who receive their high-speed Internet connection or cable television subscription from an affiliated service provider. Since 2008, ESPN3 has also been available to approximately 21 million U.S. college students and U.S.-based military personnel via computers with college/university (.edu) and U.S. military (.mil) IP addresses. ESPN3 is only available to Internet providers who pay fees to ESPN. ESPN3 is not carried by traditional cable and satellite providers, as it is not a single channel, but streams multiple live events at the same time; however, ESPN includes a listing for a linear "ESPN3" channel (which only includes one event at a time) in the television listings on its website. As part of the wide-ranging distribution agreement that DirecTV and The Walt Disney Company announced, ESPN3 was made available to DirecTV customers in early 2015. [13]

So that means I used to be a sponsored movie watcher when I was a Columbia House member?....

Increasingly, I have to feel that ru4por is either with Salient, or married to one of them. You don't have to look far to find dozens of examples listed here where Salient hosed a customer or did something fairly nasty. It is their most defining feature. Yet ru seems to have drunk the coolaid. Sometimes the reputation one has, is the one that one earned.

Increasingly, I have to feel that ru4por is either with Salient, or married to one of them. You don't have to look far to find dozens of examples listed here where Salient hosed a customer or did something fairly nasty. It is their most defining feature. Yet ru seems to have drunk the coolaid. Sometimes the reputation one has, is the one that one earned.

Nope, and I don't want to be painted as a defender of Salient. I have had no dealings with them ever. My opposition is to the same handful of disgruntled customers advocating action such as a boycott. If you have a poor customer experience with any company, don't give them anymore business. I will NEVER understand the mentality of interwebz justice. It is feeble and outside my realm of behavior. I have no doubt that the business practice of this company has left a bad taste in the mouth of some, but it is equally as obvious that they have many supporters as well. If you read any or all of my posts on this topic, NONE have defended Salient. Dozen of examples of poor business transactions are a daily part of retail life.

Nope, and I don't want to be painted as a defender of Salient. I have had no dealings with them ever. My opposition is to the same handful of disgruntled customers advocating action such as a boycott. If you have a poor customer experience with any company, don't give them anymore business. I will NEVER understand the mentality of interwebz justice. It is feeble and outside my realm of behavior. I have no doubt that the business practice of this company has left a bad taste in the mouth of some, but it is equally as obvious that they have many supporters as well. If you read any or all of my posts on this topic, NONE have defended Salient. Dozen of examples of poor business transactions are a daily part of retail life.

Negative reviews of horrible companies are a daily part of retail life too.

Negative reviews of horrible companies are a daily part of retail life too.

So are negative reviews of GREAT companies.

I guess he never heard of Angie's List, lol.

Angie's List???

iu

ESPN3 simply doesn't have any greater of a reach to a non-disc golf audience than Youtube. Other than the name recognition that comes with those four letters (and you pay handsomely for that recognition relative to the alternatives), there really is no advantage to ESPN3 over Youtube or any other live streaming portal.

And YouTube probably offers a better replay experience.

I'll admit, it's a little cool to be able to pull up a disc golf event on ESPN3.

But, it really seems to me that ESPN3's archival experience has gotten worse over the years. (I use it a fair bit for college basketball.) It's probably always been slow to load. But, at least for the last year or so, it's support for jumping around within a recorded event is dicey at best, and seems to have gone downhill. It sometimes works. If you want to watch the whole event, and care about keeping the outcome a surprise, it's safest to _not_ try jumping around within the stream.

For this event, I watched a little of the introductory remarks, but when I tried to skip ahead to some actual disc golf, I gave up after trying to load it for a couple of minutes.

Last edited:
... I'll admit, it's a little cool to be able to pull up a disc golf event on ESPN3.

... at least for the last year or so, it's support for jumping around within a recorded event is dicey at best, and seems to have gone downhill. It sometimes works. If you want to watch the whole event, and care about keeping the outcome a surprise, it's safest to _not_ try jumping around within the stream.

For this event, I watched a little of the introductory remarks, but when I tried to skip ahead to some actual disc golf, I gave up after trying to load it for a couple of minutes.

Ain't that the truth. My experience with ESPN3 "replays" lately is that the load time isn't too bad, but you only have ONE chance (if you're lucky) to advance farther into the broadcast. After that, trying to go forward or backward guarantees that you just ended your viewing experience.

Latest posts