• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fanboys and plastic worship

Next time they have a meeting take an Ape and a cardboard box and show them what your FH will do to it.:thmbup: I think the problem here, is that most of these 'City/Park" people don't realize the danger of our discs. They're thinking about beach Frisbees. But if they did they might not build courses to begin with. Its a problem area for sure...

Eh too? I have been saying that ever since the first threads about calling it frisbee golf or disc golf. Nobody has ever been afraid of getting hit by a frisbee. That's why whenever possible, I will hand them my disc and tell them to just tap their head with it. They always say "Wow, that IS heavier than a frisbee". I then tell them to imagine it flying at 20 miles per hour into the side of their head. I have only had the chance to do this twice, both times were couples on a picnic in the middle of a fairway. I then tell them that they are safe with me because I usually miss the fairway. As long as they are not dressed as a tree, they are always safe from me.

It's weird how a lot of posters here are pretending not to understand this. It's been happening in all areas of life for a long time. It's natural.

It's interesting that I don't see as much of it here as I used to. Maybe newer players are worse with the fanboy stuff and Facebook is attracting more of them.

I limit myself to one manufacturer (Discraft) because I do not have the time nor the energy to try to keep up with all the new molds out there from all the disc makers and the differences between all their plastics. I'm not really limiting myself because my game sucks so bad I figure what difference does it make really? I am definitely the poster child for "It's the archer not the arrow" mentality.

Yup

Five years ago I felt like I had a pretty good understanding of most disc companies.

It's just too tough these days with all the companies, discs, and plastics. I don't have the time or money.

And it seriously doesn't matter. All the major companies make enough excellent discs these days that players bagging a single brand aren't hurting.

And it seriously doesn't matter. All the major companies make enough excellent discs these days that players bagging a single brand aren't hurting.

I disagree, as much as I love the Comet, Mantis and Drone, I could never go all Discraft as none of their putting putters work for me. The same with Trilogy, Legacy and the rest of the Europen corps.
MVP makes great putters and drivers but horrid mids.
If I was to throw one company,I would probably either have to:
Throw MVP and power down fairway drivers for my midrange shots
Or
Throw Innova; they dont have the best of any class but I could squeeze by on putting with Colts and Wedges, I beleive

I hear you. When I made my first post above, I should have made more clear I was talking about the fanboys that throw one brand only because they're pretending that everything else sucks. Alot of people have legit reasons for throwing one or two brands. For the record, I throw mostly Innova and Discraft, some DD, for the same reason you have about not wanting to try to keep up with the new stuff and the $$$ that goes with that.

Oh ok...Totally see what you are talking about there. I mean every manufacturer has it's flaws, good discs, inconsistent runs, crappy molds and so on...Of course there are a couple of brands that I think absolutely suck but I keep those opinions to myself...usually lol. I figure, if it works good for someone else who am I to criticize?

Now if they're throwing a Groove, all bets are off. :p

-Dave

I disagree, as much as I love the Comet, Mantis and Drone, I could never go all Discraft as none of their putting putters work for me. The same with Trilogy, Legacy and the rest of the Europen corps.
MVP makes great putters and drivers but horrid mids.
If I was to throw one company,I would probably either have to:
Throw MVP and power down fairway drivers for my midrange shots
Or
Throw Innova; they dont have the best of any class but I could squeeze by on putting with Colts and Wedges, I beleive

That's a fair point about putters but I still maintain that it wouldn't hurt any of us non pros.

I think you can get used to any discs these days and score within a stroke or two of your normal discs. Even putters, although that is probably the toughest.

I borrowed discs out of a guys trunk a few weeks ago and scored one stroke away from my best at a local course. I was using three discs I'd never thrown before. I will admit that the putting was the hardest but I could get used to anything for circle buts given enough time.

I borrowed discs out of a guys trunk a few weeks ago and scored one stroke away from my best at a local course. I was using three discs I'd never thrown before. I will admit that the putting was the hardest but I could get used to anything for circle buts given enough time.
I hate buts in general, but I really hate circle buts. I just can't get comfortable with them. :|

It's weird how a lot of posters here are pretending not to understand this. It's been happening in all areas of life for a long time. It's natural.

It's interesting that I don't see as much of it here as I used to. Maybe newer players are worse with the fanboy stuff and Facebook is attracting more of them.

It's not so much that I don't see this in other parts of my life (cyclists are also bad about this, as are photographers.. although, at least in both cases it affects ergonomics considerably more), it's that I simply don't understand why some people are just SO into selection bias that they make it a self-identity, which is all that it is.

It's not so much that I don't see this in other parts of my life (cyclists are also bad about this, as are photographers.. although, at least in both cases it affects ergonomics considerably more), it's that I simply don't understand why some people are just SO into selection bias that they make it a self-identity, which is all that it is.

Still not sure why this is a mystery. The vast majority of people base their identity on something weird in their life.

University
Religion
Hobby

Whatever

We r all insecure or something. IDK.

Still not sure why this is a mystery. The vast majority of people base their identity on something weird in their life.

University
Religion
Hobby

Whatever

We r all insecure or something. IDK.

It's NOT a mystery. It's just sad. How's that?

Actually, maybe it's funny.. when you consider we walk around throwing plastic at metal.

It's NOT a mystery. It's just sad. How's that?

Actually, maybe it's funny.. when you consider we walk around throwing plastic at metal.

IDK

I don't care anymore if people base their identity on stupid crap as long they're happy.

Like brokenshoulder for example, he has a huge collection of vintage cartoon erotica.

He's always talking about it and trying to show me stuff. I think it's weird but it seems to make him happy.

IDK

I don't care anymore if people base their identity on stupid crap as long they're happy.

Like brokenshoulder for example, he has a huge collection of vintage cartoon erotica.

He's always talking about it and trying to show me stuff. I think it's weird but it seems to make him happy.

No, it's a burden on me and my family, both emotionally and financially. Crippling, actually.
I take comfort in knowing it's made you less judgmental.

I base my identity around dark chocolate. Actually, I just like dark chocolate, and am eating some right now. If you're not eating dark chocolate right now, you're weird.

Latest posts