• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FedEx/US Postal problems

swhite

Double Eagle Member
On this past Tuesday afternoon a FedEx truck delivered a box of discs to my house. Because the delivery person was too lazy to bring the box to my door, they put it in my mailbox. I had already gotten the mail from the mailbox earlier in the day, and so did not know to look for a box in it. On Wednesday, the US Postal delivery truck delivered my mail, and seeing a box in the mailbox, took it and brought it back to the town post office. I then received a card in my mail today saying that I have to pay USPS $16.90 shipping to get my box of discs back.

So, I have $269.40 in discs sitting in the post office because they are having a turf war skirmish with FedEx. And, I am supposed to pay for it.

I already talked with a clerk at the town post office, who told me that he is just a clerk, and thus not authorized to hand me my box without payment. And, I have already gone to the FedEx online claims website, and am getting the runaround with no results yet there. I will next be calling the town postmaster general, or whatever they are called, tomorrow. Apparently, it is under her orders that delivery persons are to take FedEx packages out of mailboxes and charge citizens shipping to get them back.

Any suggestions for me before I talk with my wonderful post master general?

Just came here to say that $269.40 is a pretty strong buy for a single order. May the force be with you!

I found this info online...

FedEx and UPS cannot put their packages in your mailbox. Any mailable matter found in a mailbox without postage is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail. Carriers can remove the package and the customer would have to pay the assessed postage in order to get their package.

It would seem to me that the FedEx driver is to blame. Since it will probably take a long time to get it resolved, I would pay the post office to get my property and contact FedEx for reimbursement.

Maybe talk to a lawyer for advice....some lawyers charge a minimum fee for just giving advice.

You might even just pay it....get the receipt. Tell FedEx their employee illegally left your package in the mailbox and USPS charged you for it...you (FedEx) can reimburse me as this is your fault and it was an illegal delivery...or I'll have to contact a lawyer.

One bad part about 'threatening' is that they could make note of it for future deliveries...how would you prove a package from them was delayed, misdelivered, damaged because you took this action?

You just need a smaller mailbox. Then they'd have no option but to put the package on your porch.

Or, depending on your own sense of morality, pay the post office and get your discs then call FedEx and tell them you never received your package and start some kind of reimbursement or insurance claim through them and get your money back.

You just need a smaller mailbox. Then they'd have no option but to put the package on your porch...

Hey! I hadn't thought of that. Of course, it means normal usps deliveries might not fit either.

You'll have to file a claim with Fed Ex and explain what happened, if the postmaster refuses to turn over your package (I'm a postmaster and would never hold anyone's package hostage like that even though it's technically allowed). I'm curious to see how this plays out.

I found this info online...

FedEx and UPS cannot put their packages in your mailbox. Any mailable matter found in a mailbox without postage is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail. Carriers can remove the package and the customer would have to pay the assessed postage in order to get their package.

It would seem to me that the FedEx driver is to blame. Since it will probably take a long time to get it resolved, I would pay the post office to get my property and contact FedEx for reimbursement.

This. I was a FedEx Express driver for 30 years. We all know we absolutely cannot put anything in a postal mailbox. The postal driver is required to remove anything in the box. It's not a difficult guess for me to say this was a FedEx Ground delivery. Those guys are either subcontractors that own their routes, or just a guy that the subcontractor hired to run it. Many of those guys just don't give a chit. The FedEx Ground driver is absolutely to blame. Sorry that happened to you.

Sucks but this one is 100% on fedex.

I worked for the census this summer, and we were told multiple times we can't put something in the mailbox. FedEx knows they can't.

I'd pay the postmaster for your box, then I'd ask fedex for reimbursement with the receipt. If they refuse, then I'd actually go small claims, file for the reimbursement, court costs, and time. But first give FedEx in writing a chance to pay you for the costs incurred.

Update:

I just talked with the postmaster over the phone. She said my only options were to pay the shipping charge or have it returned to the retailer. No other options? Nope. It was clear from her tone that I could go suck eggs as far as she was concerned.

I chose to have the package returned.

From this I now have no confidence in FedEx doing its job correctly, so I cannot accept deliveries from them due to possible penalties to me. And, my local US Postal just looks like jerks. Why deal with them either?
I guess I can still get brown vans.