• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Firefly

Puddle topped Firefly

My Firefly arrived yesterday.
Have not used it, will tomorrow.
Yellow.
Scales at 176.5, which is better than being underweight, I bought 2 Tour Pro Aviars, both well underweight, very annoying.

Too close to a P2 to call it anything other than a P2.

It does provide more grip than regular KC Pro plastic and is closer to KC Pro than it is to XT.

For putting, XT has much less glide than KC Pro, this disc feels like it will have a little less glide than regular KC Pro, but more than XT, so you will need to have some oomph in your putting to use this disc, it will not really be a glidy touch putter.

Probably better in windy conditions than regular KC Pro.

The problem is it is slightly puddle topped, which I hate.
Not Yeti Pro puddle, but has a big shoulder and drops from there, so slight puddle top, which means it will not shape the same putting lines, notably and most importantly, rise and fall, as a flat or slightly domey putter will.
Being slightly puddle topped, will be more nose-angle sensitive than flat or slight dome.

I will take it out tomorrow and use it, if it seems promising, I will be on the hunt for one that is not puddle topped to give it a proper testing. That may be hard to find as these soft plastics contract when pulled from the mold and start cooling.

I really like Dynamic Discs/Trilogy Classic Hard plastic, firm with good grip, yet has good glide, and this is what Innova has been missing, I assume Nexus is their effort to try and create something along those lines.

Not everybody has grippy skin on their fingers, so some need a grippier plastic for drier hands and drier playing conditions, it gets very dusty in the summer where I play.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 71
I have a pair of Fireflies. I got my first one right after they came out and I really like it so I got a second one. I had been putting with DX Aviars and wanted something a little stiffer but with that same tackiness and this Nexus plastic nails it.
I have not thrown it; only use it for putting. I throw the Sonic and a Star Aviar for upshots and drives.
I putt similar to Ricky Wysocki except I don't putt as hard as he does, but I do minimize the spin as much as I can. I have a larger hand and the Firefly feels good in my grip. I rest the pad of my index finger on the flat bottom part of the rim similar to Paul McBeth and that flat part is exactly the size of my finger pad so the release is very clean.
I love this disc and would recommend it to anyone who push putts.

I have a pair of Fireflies. I got my first one right after they came out and I really like it so I got a second one. I had been putting with DX Aviars and wanted something a little stiffer but with that same tackiness and this Nexus plastic nails it.
I have not thrown it; only use it for putting. I throw the Sonic and a Star Aviar for upshots and drives.
I putt similar to Ricky Wysocki except I don't putt as hard as he does, but I do minimize the spin as much as I can. I have a larger hand and the Firefly feels good in my grip. I rest the pad of my index finger on the flat bottom part of the rim similar to Paul McBeth and that flat part is exactly the size of my finger pad so the release is very clean.
I love this disc and would recommend it to anyone who push putts.

This makes me wonder if the Nexus plastic is the same DX blend that is currently used on the Classic Grid Aviar.

I've had one in the bag for the last week or so. Not gonna kick the Swan/Crown combo out of the bag, yet.

This is a great feeling putter. I like it for longer putts.

I have gone with softer putters for years, but I really like the stiffness of the plastic on the Firefly.

Thanks!

So then is it like old stiff R-Pro or the DX used on the Dragon?

It's not really like Dragon plastic (stated from my experience of a sample of one Dragon disc). I'm not very familiar with the R-Pro plastic.

The closest thing to the Nexus in the Firefly that I know of is the very good XT plastic in my Bullfrog, and the Nexus is a bit firmer than regular Pro P2s. Sorry if I'm not describing it well; indeed, I had to buy a Firefly just to satisfy my curiosity on what Nexus was like. Curiosity killed the cat, and satisfaction brought him back. :)

It's not really like Dragon plastic (stated from my experience of a sample of one Dragon disc). I'm not very familiar with the R-Pro plastic.

The closest thing to the Nexus in the Firefly that I know of is the very good XT plastic in my Bullfrog, and the Nexus is a bit firmer than regular Pro P2s. Sorry if I'm not describing it well; indeed, I had to buy a Firefly just to satisfy my curiosity on what Nexus was like. Curiosity killed the cat, and satisfaction brought him back. :)

So the plastic is like XT for anything outside of the Nova but stiffer then XT. So Like if you mixed XT and KC Pro is this plastic in my mind.

So the plastic is like XT for anything outside of the Nova but stiffer then XT. So Like if you mixed XT and KC Pro is this plastic in my mind.

No, just not like KC Pro. Truly, it's something you have to acquire or hold in your paws to really understand.

I will also say this: my new Nexus Firefly, Infinite Discs Scarab in X-blend plastic, and XT Bullfrog have a noticeable smell to them, a sweet smell that I've not observed in other discs. So it's very similar if not the same plastic in all three.

And yes, I know someone will get snarky and say something rude about sniffing discs, but seriously, the odor was noticeable without trying to find it.

No, just not like KC Pro. Truly, it's something you have to acquire or hold in your paws to really understand.

I will also say this: my new Nexus Firefly, Infinite Discs Scarab in X-blend plastic, and XT Bullfrog have a noticeable smell to them, a sweet smell that I've not observed in other discs. So it's very similar if not the same plastic in all three.

And yes, I know someone will get snarky and say something rude about sniffing discs, but seriously, the odor was noticeable without trying to find it.

That is not unusual, more recent runs of Waxy DX starting in 2018-2019 used for the Dragon have had a soap smell and that R-Pro has had the same smell the last few years.

XT the last time I picked up one of the XT Colts I had noticed it had that new Rubber/some types of Plastic smell to the disc but that was a few years ago about the time that one Female Innova Sponsored Pro player Switched from DX Colt to XT.

Got a pair of Fireflies and took one out to the local ballfields to test it out. No putting, just throwing. No wind to speak of at the field. I throw Classic Aviars and P2s both BH and FH, so those are my reference points.

The Firefly is really close to a P2, but not quite the same (at least the one I threw today, compared to the 3 P2s I had with me.) The Firefly has a very slightly lower profile. It feels like it is somewhere between Aviars and P2s, closer to a P2. Really comfortable. The plastic is pretty firm and definitely more grippy than DX/D-Line/Pro/P-Line plastics. Overall in hand it felt great to me.

Throwing RHBH: I warmed up with 10 standstills starting from about 150 feet and going up to 200 feet. Trying to throw flat, this disc flew straight with a slight finish left at the end. It held a hyzer just fine, and on two anhyzer throws, one held the anhyzer all the way to the ground (a steeper anhyzer angle) while a gentler anhyzer panned out smoothly and landed flat.

Then I threw a dozen throws with either one step or a full X-step, aiming for around 250 feet and reaching 264 feet (longest measured throw of the field session.) Thrown low with more power, this disc flew laser straight. Thrown with a little height, it still flew straight with a slight left finish.

Throwing RHFH: My putter FH throws are usually for upshots, unless on a short drive. I only got out to around 225 feet throwing this disc on a FH, which is similar to my usual putter FH. On a dozen FH throws, this disc flew straight, sometimes with a little turn/flip that I'm thinking was from me torquing it. Mostly just straight flights with a little right finish.

Overall I think this disc flew like a D-Line P2 that has been thrown a bit: more stable than overstable. The main difference is the grip; it was noticeably more grippy than the typical Innova baseline plastics. At the beginning it was almost too grippy, with dry grass clippings sticking to the disc. After a few throws the dry grass stopped sticking to it, but it still felt nice and grippy in the hand.

I'll try putting with it, but I'm pretty solidly on Classic Aviars for putting. I'll have to see how it is in the wind to really compare it to P2s. There is one hole in particular that I use to test putters: teeing off through a wooded tunnel out into an open area that can be windy. Also it may have better grip in wet conditions.

First impression: solid disc, as expected from what is basically a firm, grippy relative of the P2.

I wonder if Innova have any plans for a premium plastic Firefly? Sounds like a good throwingputter

I wonder if Innova have any plans for a premium plastic Firefly? Sounds like a good throwingputter

Premium plastic P2s don't seem to be as widely available as premium plastic Innova throwing putters. I like P2s and the Firefly for throwing, so I'd buy some premium plastic Fireflies. Though it seems what really differentiates the Firefly from the P2 is the Nexus plastic.

Tested the Firefly for putting today. From circle's edge and up to about 50 feet, it seemed just like my D-Line P2s.

I really like the Firefly.

I never really gave the P2 a fair shake, but I picked up a Firefly based solely on how good the plastic felt and now it's my favorite disc in the bag. It's super versatile as a throwing putter because of its neutral stability, and it putts nice too. Made it hard for me to justify carrying any other discs.

Premium plastic P2s don't seem to be as widely available as premium plastic Innova throwing putters. I like P2s and the Firefly for throwing, so I'd buy some premium plastic Fireflies. Though it seems what really differentiates the Firefly from the P2 is the Nexus plastic.

Tested the Firefly for putting today. From circle's edge and up to about 50 feet, it seemed just like my D-Line P2s.

I really like the Firefly.

You can get the P2 in S-line (star), C-line (champ). . C-line MF, Luster, C-line Glow and a few more. . so quite a few premium plastic options.

I putted with the KC Pro Aviar for a while but the only premium plastic i could find for throwing was the G-star

Last edited:
You can get the P2 in S-line (star), C-line (champ). . C-line MF, Luster, C-line Glow and a few more. . so quite a few premium plastic options.

Yes, those all exist, but rarely in stock in the stores I have been in. You have to get them online.

Similar to how I like the FD, but they are not as easy to find in stores. Sure, you can order online, but I like to shop in person wherever I go. It supports the people who often support the local disc golf scene, and I can hold the disc in my hand and make sure it is to my liking.

I putted with the KC Pro Aviar for a while but the only premium plastic i could find for throwing was the G-star

They have Champion and Star for the P&A Aviar. (see below links) BB Aviar the most premium I have ever found was in KC Pro, they rarely made other plastic types for the Big bead ever since Ken Climo got to use the mold, they are all variations on Pro plastic made for Sponsored pro players.

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/champion-aviar.html Champion

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/star-aviar-putt-and-approach.html Star

They have Champion and Star for the P&A Aviar. (see below links) BB Aviar the most premium I have ever found was in KC Pro, they rarely made other plastic types for the Big bead ever since Ken Climo got to use the mold, they are all variations on Pro plastic made for Sponsored pro players.

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/champion-aviar.html Champion

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/star-aviar-putt-and-approach.html Star

https://store.discgolfunited.com/star-aviar-driver.html

Lots in g star floating around as well

Latest posts