• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] For open upshots, which disc and line do you choose to throw?

With a nose-up hyzer stall? Get serious. Sounds like you're laying up everything short and left because you don't want to miss badly. In fact, you've said as much.

Oh, here comes the insult again. I do still put in regular field work in addition to playing, especially when working out new discs. Try it sometime?

I see ... Uli lays up because he doesn't want to miss badly ... :|

No insult. I can respect people that play a lot of rounds. But the thought that knowing where I miss means I'm not trying to make is one that generally comes from too many rounds and not enough field work.

I see ... Uli lays up because he doesn't want to miss badly ... :|

No insult. I can respect people that play a lot of rounds. But the thought that knowing where I miss means I'm not trying to make is one that generally comes from too many rounds and not enough field work.

I know, I'm just giving you a hard time for being so dogmatic about nose-up hyzer approach while discarding all other shots, and for less than convincing reasons.

Choose any tournament video you want and you'll see all kinds of upshots with putters. Even anhyzer flex shots from short range.

Assuming we are talking about upshots here, my preferred method, if there's room, is to just float a putter straight to the basket, or using an OS putter, letting it fade in. Neither shot is going to blow by or miss badly. Hyzers too, but to a lesser extent, and usually if there's a need for R-L.

And at a field, I always take time out from working on driving and throw medium and short approach back and forth at various trees, short approach with several putters and amounting to dozens of throws.

To each his own.

Pro Rhyno on a slight hyzer. Usually pretty controllable.

I know, I'm just giving you a hard time for being so dogmatic about nose-up hyzer approach while discarding all other shots, and for less than convincing reasons.

"Dogmatic" is a pretty hilarious way to put it, if you saw me play :p

Hyzer/anhyzers = release angles, yes? So a level nose up shot by definition isn't a hyzer.

Fade and hyzer are not synonyms.

Just sayin

There's a new disc coming out called the Buttocks and it sits down wherever you want it to. Everyone should just use that for upshots and call it a day.

Hyzer/anhyzers = release angles, yes? So a level nose up shot by definition isn't a hyzer.

Just sayin

Its not that difficult to understand. You can twist **** all you want but realize that throwing how Uli shows in that video causes a disc to fade out. The idea behind it is no different than taking a hyzer approach but to me the hyzer line even has more consistency the further you push out the distance as well as being less impacted by disc selection. I'm not talking out of my ass here lol. if you want to argue fade and hyzer are not synonyms well.....forget it'

If I'm running it I'll throw a seasoned KC Aviar flat right at the basket. If I'm just laying up I'll toss a KC Aviar on a hyzer line.

Just sayin

Correct. Hyzer is a release angle, it does not imply nose up. Just because a shot appears to hyzer out due to nose-up and loss of air speed, doesn't make it a hyzer. The difference should be obvious.

:r u listening pmantle?

Correct. Hyzer is a release angle, it does not imply nose up. Just because a shot appears to hyzer out due to nose-up and loss of air speed, doesn't make it a hyzer. The difference should be obvious.

Somewhere along the way you got confused about what I have posted. You really should read again.

Simple backhand with an Axiom Envy, maybe on a slight hyzer, great approach disc.

Somewhere along the way you got confused about what I have posted. You really should read again.

I know, I'm just joking with you a little on this. And the difference is really simple, intentional hyzer or nose-up fade out...2 different things.

Trust me, a nose up flat shot is a stall out hyzer. I promise.

Absolutely

No, it's true...and the reason you see nose-up throws stall and hyzer out

I'd say he's listening.

If it really is to far to run the putt, and my options are open for the approach - I throw an Envy on a mild hyzer backhand. The disc is a sweet spot in stability for me and an easy hyzer can't get much easier to control. Predictability is always good.